shape
carat
color
clarity

Color on screen and real life color

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately, you can't judge color at all from photos. Can you go see some GIA graded ECs in person? That is one way to see if you are ok with that color. Or have the diamond sent to you loose to inspect.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I have seen some in real life, but color grades don't seem terribly consistent to me across stones. Ugh. I hate to over-pay for color just to shop online and feel safer!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
MissStepcut|1309671214|2961016 said:
Yeah, I have seen some in real life, but color grades don't seem terribly consistent to me across stones. Ugh. I hate to over-pay for color just to shop online and feel safer!

That should not be the case if they are graded by a reputable lab. Be sure you are comparing apples to apples -- all GIA graded J color ECs. Different shapes show color differently. It is possible that among ECs soem will show more body color than others of the same GIA color grade, if the cut vaires substantially, but it should not be so noticable.

James Allen has a 60 day money back guarantee. There is little risk to buying and seeing what you think in person, IMO.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Edit - ditto, really can't trust pics, esp not if all the stones aren't in the same picture - and even then, honestly, depending on how your camera errs -

Same ring, same camera on auto white balance, different lights and backgrounds -

file.jpg
J-RingAltered-5.png

That's a pretty sizable stone - I would think you would have to be pretty colour-insensitive not to see the tint IRL. Whether or not it bothers you is a different question.

minithreadjack -

Dreamer!!

Welcome back :bigsmile: and congrats are in order, I assume!! :appl: Your dedication to RT is laudable - aren't you supposed to be madly sleep deprived? :rodent:

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1309671543|2961019 said:

That should not be the case if they are graded by a reputable lab. Be sure you are comparing apples to apples -- all GIA graded J color ECs. Different shapes show color differently. It is possible that among ECs soem will show more body color than others of the same GIA color grade, if the cut vaires substantially, but it should not be so noticable.

James Allen has a 60 day money back guarantee. There is little risk to buying and seeing what you think in person, IMO.
Yeah, I always make sure I am making color determinations on GIA stones. The Is I have seen in real life look PURE white to me, but several JA pictures of I ECs look positively yellow. Thank you for the advice though: I won't trust photograph whiteness.

DiamondColors

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello

When going for EC my personal advice is that you should go for at least I color (if not H color) if you want to be "on the safe side" in regards to color. EC tend to show more color than most cuts.
If you go for Round diamond which is well cut, you can easily go for J and even K colors and if it has some fluorescence than you will "safe" in regards to the way the color appears.
Hope i have assisted :)

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen some lower color emeralds on here that looks AWESOME!!!!! :love: YOu just have to see it in person to know for sure.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie I am majorly sleep deprived ;)) So if I start advising people to buy EGL stones and aim for Good cut grade, alert the authorities. No dedication to RT or other noble motivations involved in my posting though, just a good escape from reality!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
MissStepcut|1309672142|2961022 said:
Dreamer_D|1309671543|2961019 said:

Yeah, I always make sure I am making color determinations on GIA stones. The Is I have seen in real life look PURE white to me, but several JA pictures of I ECs look positively yellow. Thank you for the advice though: I won't trust photograph whiteness.

Well go by your experiences in person then!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
DiamondColors|1309678385|2961029 said:
Hello

When going for EC my personal advice is that you should go for at least I color (if not H color) if you want to be "on the safe side" in regards to color. EC tend to show more color than most cuts.
If you go for Round diamond which is well cut, you can easily go for J and even K colors and if it has some fluorescence than you will "safe" in regards to the way the color appears.
Hope i have assisted :)

I completely agree. I have an I asscher and although my stone faces up quite white, I saw many that didn't. I can also see the body color more when I gaze through the pavillion at say a 45 degree angle. The color is fine for me but I did say that I wouldn't go lower in a step cut again, and I'm not color sensitive. In face I'd really love cushions in the J K L range, maybe in lower though I haven't seen lower in person.

I'm not sure why your having such a hard time viewing GIA J's consistantly though. If they are all well cut J's and all graded by the GIA then they should all look the same. Are you viewing some set and others loose?

I should also mention that with step cuts clarity becomes more important. Where many SI1 and SI2 are considered eye clean in a RB this will not likely be the case in an EC, even a VS2 should be checked to be sure that it is in fact eye clean.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Christina...|1309745645|2961357 said:
I completely agree. I have an I asscher and although my stone faces up quite white, I saw many that didn't. I can also see the body color more when I gaze through the pavillion at say a 45 degree angle. The color is fine for me but I did say that I wouldn't go lower in a step cut again, and I'm not color sensitive. In face I'd really love cushions in the J K L range, maybe in lower though I haven't seen lower in person.

I'm not sure why your having such a hard time viewing GIA J's consistantly though. If they are all well cut J's and all graded by the GIA then they should all look the same. Are you viewing some set and others loose?

I should also mention that with step cuts clarity becomes more important. Where many SI1 and SI2 are considered eye clean in a RB this will not likely be the case in an EC, even a VS2 should be checked to be sure that it is in fact eye clean.
I think cut quality is probably what's been inconsistent, but it's trickier with emeralds!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results