shape
carat
color
clarity

Color on Emerald Cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

feydruss

Rough_Rock
I've been lurking around here for the past month or so, now I'm delurking to ask a question that is plaguing me!

I'm hoping to get engaged soon (it's only been eight years after all), and since I'm the picky one who loves jewellry, I thought it best that I start doing some research.

I'm potentially very interested in an 1-1.5 emerald cut solitaire, with the basics: good cut (low table and depth) and ratio, VVS2 at the lowest, blah blah. I won't compromise on cut or clarity, especially with an EC!

But where I'm running into trouble is with the color.

Yellow is actually my favorite color, and I'd *prefer* a warmer color for my diamond. But it seems that it's hard to find a stone online (or at least figure out the pricing on one) that's lower than J but less than an official fancy. Just how yellow would a J EC stone seem?

Certainly I'd be happier to get a larger and warmer stone than a smaller colorless one (both cuts being equally excellent, of course).

And how much would the setting affect this? For example, would a platinum setting make the stone look yellower?

I realize that my question is on the opposite end of the scale of most questions--I *want* my diamond to look yellow! But at the same time, I want it to look YELLOW, not just like a crappy diamond. :) Make sense?

Many thanks for any advice!
:loopy:

moediamond

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Actually, a J color would show off its yellow color mainly from its girdle.
If you enjoy an authentic yellow, you could consider a Fancy Intense Yellow diamond certfied by the GIA.
Platinum would lighten the yellow color, so I'd recommend a 18K Yellow gold top.
I found a picture from another forum posting, so I don't know where it's from..:))
Price wise, it's a bit higher than a J color VVS.
I've seen a FIY Emerald cut with Ideal-near Ideal proportions on my GIA database.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Maurice, what are the Ideal proportions for Emerald cut in your database :confused:

moediamond

Rough_Rock
Hey leonid,

How are you?
59 table is Class 2A
70 depth is Class 3A
Wouldn't you consider this Ideal to near Ideal?
As far as database, same one as you use:RapNet
:))

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I just was confused by using the term 'ideal' Maurice.

As you know, ideal proportions for the fancies are yet to be defined.

moediamond

Rough_Rock
I agree with you.
Ideal ranges for fancies is very tough.
Why not change "fancies" terminology to "highly approved ranges" as opposed to Ideal?
Why not change Princess for high 70's since more than 65% are cut that way??
:rolleyes:
If GIA can't figure this out, no one can...:twirl:

By the way, where did you get the "smiles"? They're really neat!
Great looking forum too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results