shape
carat
color
clarity

color I on platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

calla

Rough_Rock
I have heard from some people that an I grade color looks bad when set in platinum. Personally, I can't even discern the diff. between I and J, even in platinum. But I have been made to think that I is yucky and should be avoided.Even if G-H are recommended for engagement rings, is I going to be that much of a step down in looks? I am looking at ideal cuts, around VS1-VS2 clarity.
Thanks!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The diff between D and G is less than the difference between H and I.
I believe 90% of people can see the color in I colored diamonds when set in YG.
In platinum I doubt anyone would fail the test.
Drop the clarity to SI 1 -2 before you drop the color.
my 2c worth.

calla

Rough_Rock
Thanks much. Because I don't have a set carat weight in mind, I am happy to stick with the VS1-2, get a F-G or maybe H color in a slightly smaller rock than I could get with an S1-2 grade. Looking at .9-.95 range--it's true what they say about the gorgeous stones you can buy before you make the leap to 1.0 and above.

asw

Rough_Rock
True Ideal cut diamonds will look great in Platinum in lower color grades in diamonds under 2 carats. Real savings are available IMHO in H-I Colors over D-G with very little the lay person can see. We acknowledge that the fine whites are better but when not comparing them in day to day use, the cut is the predominate characteristic.All the best
Al Wallace
Jewelryzone.com

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I agree with asw. Note that "true ideal cut" is what you'd want. The light handling of these diamonds works to counteract the lower color. I have a J color and it faces up favorable to a G. Everyone who sees it remarks how "white" it is. Side by side to a D-E-F there is a very minor shade difference. I prefer the sacrifice in color to clarity even though it defies "logic" and conventional wisdom.The Rodentman

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results