shape
carat
color
clarity

Color...How low can I go

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kizor

Rough_Rock
This topic is all over the net but I enjoy the different opinions from the experts on this forum. Platinum ring...how low can I go with the diamond color before it is noticeable to the eye?

pedromt

Rough_Rock
I've been told you can go as low as a J with a well cut stone and you would be safe with color from some of the people I've talked to WhiteFlash. Never got to see it in person though, so that's purely going by their word. Most information I've read, however, states that there's a slight tint of color once you go past H I believe. You should just go look at some stones yourself in platinum settings. The platinum would definately make the color stand out more than a yellow gold setting would though.

-Pedro

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
My grandmother's K/L Old European Cut, set in platinum, looks a little buttery or lemony in most lights. Personally, I love it.

But I bet you weren't thinking of going that low, anyway.

Talonnav

Shiny_Rock
My 1/2 carat diamond is an I color. It looked "white" until I held it up against my new D color diamond. BIG difference. My point is your diamond will look white until you hold it up against the other end of the spectrum.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
You definitely should go take a peek at some colors locally and get an idea of what your eye allows. I would say I or J but some people can see the difference between D and E, so they probably would not feel comfortable with even an G/H.

However, I've seen an OEC in I color in plat and it looked white face up. It was set already. I think also if you plan to be comparing the colors to another color (e.g.put an I against an F), you WILL see a slight difference, but not when the stone stands alone on its own up to I/J. My coworker has what probably is a J and on its own it looks warm but pretty--the average viewer would never know to classify it as a warmer color. But when you place it against my G..mine is noticeably whiter. Hers is also an older cut, that may show more color..not sure.

So again its all about your eyes and what level you feel comfortable with. While I would not recommend buying from the maul, you can definitely do some browsing to get an idea of colors while set, and colors while loose. Compare from the bottom (pavilion) as opposed to the top, to see the real color differences.

Good luck!
1.gif

SwanSong

Rough_Rock
My fiance's stone is a H...Face up...white as can be...from the side I can see a faint touch of color...but still pretty much white.

For me...I wouldn't go past H. Come to think of it...her next upgrade will definelty be G or higher.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I have seen a SUPER IDEAL cut J color in person side by side with an H. I compared them to white gold and platinum. Both were GREAT. Both had great white light and flashes of the rainbow. The J had only the slightest more "body" to it than the H. Not yellow or brown tinges, just a slight "body" to the diamond. Not a negative comment in any way, just an observation.

When White Flash or SuperbCert or GOG or Nice Ice says you can easily go with one of their SUPER IDEAL J's in a white gold or platinum set, they are not kidding. It will face up white and gorgeous. The CUT is the key!
1.gif

Final Cut

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I bought an H with a med flour - aga1a cut - gia cert, absolutely NO body colour and faces up white - I am happy I did not go lower than H in retrospect - depends on size as well - I bought a 2.42ct - set in Royal Crown plat and would not go lower than H... but all depends on personal preferences.

Good luck.

FC
9.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Ok,.... We'll say J would be OK up to say,.... 1 or 1.25 carat! LOL

WOW, what a ROCK!! Lucky Lady!! Be sure to post eye candy for all of us to drool over!
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

kizor

Rough_Rock
Would anyone be concerned with the cloud and pinpoint markings inside the table? Also, the thin girdle scars me...not sure why though.

69gm

Shiny_Rock
as long as the stone is eye-clean clouds and pinpoints shouldn't be a problem...especially if we're talking about VS2 or better.

i bought an "I" and it's beautiful. i agree with everyone else...cut is the key. unless your fiance has friends who make it a habit to compare diamonds side by side with each other's, i wouldn't worry too much about going really high on the scale. yes you'll see a difference if held side by side. but a super-ideal "J" will still be a knockout! obviously if you can afford it, get the best color you can. but don't sacrifice the cut for color. i know most people only have "$X" to spend.

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
I've said it before - on many a day
Never go above a J

Examine other factors carefully
And keep in mind....the cut's the key!

Good luck....

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I have a large "I" stone w/ med/strong bl. fluor. It is set in platinum w/ side baguettes w/ much better color ratings. It looks very white to me.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Here is a 1.264 carat, J, VS2, set in platinum.
3.gif

Ring4a.jpg

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Another pic of the same ring. Super Ideal cut, 1.264 carat, J set in plat.
Edited to add: Flour was negligible.

1.264JinPlata.jpg

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if it's needed, but fancy stones, like radiants, pears, emeralds, Assschers, ovals, luceres, etc, which are not particularly known for superb sparkle like a round show color MUCH easier.

In radiants, I can see the color difference on an F to D. Meaning, you give me a loose stone, with nothing to compare it to, I can call it's color, even in colorless. But you give me a well cut round stone, and I can't tell an H from a D. Sparkle factor also makes your rounds look whiter, so try the lower colors in better cuts!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Good point, Nic. I don't know about other Fancies, but square cuts do tend to hold and show more body color. Every person's color sensitivity varies. While a D/E Princess is a must for some, others may be quite happy with a F/G or even a H color.
1.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely true, Nic. I have an E color pear that was blinding white to my eye until I did a direct comparison with a friend's ideal cut, G color, round brilliant. The RB looked whiter!!!!!
6.gif

Diamondlil

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 6/9/2003 11:43:17 AM kizor wrote:

Platinum ring...how low can I go with the diamond color before it is noticeable to the eye?----------------

Finally an easy one! it is very easy to find what color grade works for you : hit the next jewelry store and see a couple of stones - the worst their cut is, the more obvious the color (same logic predicts that fancy shapes show more color, since they sparkle less just like badly cut rounds do).

I suspect though that your question should read: "what is the lowest color grade most people consider white". If so, the answer is "I". Despite whatever scientific evaluations of human color perception say, this grade is what most retailers bet on. Considering that I works in whatever commercial cut out there, it should surely look even better is a great RBC (due to light return). Some fluorescence (up to medium) would provide further whiteness in about 50% of lighting situations, if this is something you would consider, to make the bet safer still. Unless the person in cause is very familiar with handling and wearing diamonds, it will be impossible to perceive any color in such a stone. For most buyers, I is a "no excuse" white - platinum and all.

About the inclusions... What grade are we talking about? If the respective characteristics were the "graders" in an I1, I'd run - those would be big enough to scream at you from beneath the table. If the stone is VS - no sweat. In an SI, the same stuff has to be seen to be believed since finer points - such as the orientation of the inclusions relative to the surface of the stone, their color, their optical impact... can make all the difference in the world. For example, the density of a "cloud" would be key, even if it is extended - so the inclusion chart shows a red splotch instead of some imperceptible white-ish mist. Or a large transparent "feather" could scream at you if it's surface is parallel to the table, and be completely invisible if it is perpendicular to the table (as a sword seen from the top or the edge of the blade). Inclusions do not pose typically durability issues in typical clarity grades used in jewelry (including I1): there are exceptions, when inclusions break the surface, but I would not start worrying about them before seeing the stone. Even if the "splotch" on the cert shows an inclusion on the girdle, this does not mean anything - the drawings are not precise enough for this.

Hope this post would help..... long as it is.

tommyboy

Rough_Rock
Here is my GIA cert K color ring....Looks great in platinum.. As always, the cut makes all the difference....

What do you think?

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-do-you-think-of-my-ring-its-finished.12437/

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
How low can you go before you will notice the color?

Only you can say.

I have an EightStar J which will be mounted in anything but yellow gold soon. I have no issue whatsoever mounting it in plat or WG.

pinkangel

Rough_Rock
I also have a J VS2(2.47ct) mounted in platinum. While not an ideal cut, from the top, it looks pretty good. I do see a warm tint in the stone from the side. I can also see the color when it's next to a whiter stone. As everyone else has mentioned, cut is the key. The hearts and arrows stones I've seen would be fine in platinum. Again, as others have mentioned, look at some and compare. What looks "white" to one person, may not be noticeable to another. Good Luck!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Each individual person has different color perception. What appeals to one person may not appeal to another person.

A lot depends on the hue, or color shade, of the diamond rough as well. Almost all diamond rough has a hint of color to it. The amount of color, or hue saturation, present in a polished diamond determines the color grade.

Some diamond rough is tinted a bit yellowish, some is tinted a bit brownish, some diamond rough can be bluish. There's a range of tint shades. My J color diamond is bluish looking when viewed thru the pavillion. Coupled with the great cut, it looks beautiful set in platinum.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PQ,

Your diamond has a gray "tint" rather than yelow?
10.gif
I don't get those every day... If so, did you ask specifically for this ? I am just curious wether it is realistic to request such a stone.
9.gif
I know they are very uncommon indded!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/11/2004 9:34:28 AM valeria101 wrote:

PQ,

Your diamond has a gray 'tint' rather than yelow?
10.gif
I don't get those every day... If so, did you ask specifically for this ? I am just curious wether it is realistic to request such a stone.
9.gif
I know they are very uncommon indded!

----------------

I didn't realize before today, Val, that you are in the diamond business!

My J is a bluish hue stone, and I didn't specifically request it. Since I was planning to set in platinum, I initially inquired about a smaller, H color diamond. Brian Gavin actually suggested the J I bought.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results