shape
carat
color
clarity

Color Grading "Face Up" - what does it really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arlington

Shiny_Rock
Sorry for the double post...I''ve got an itchy "enter" finger.

I''ve had several vendors tell me that in super-ideal cuts, a RB diamond will "face-up" one or more grades whiter than its grade. For example, an I grade may look like an H or G.

This is fine, but I''m considering a four-prong platinum solitaire setting to maximize the amount of diamond showing. Is this a bad idea considering I''ve already made the decision to sacrifice a little on the color side (to an I grade) in order to get a superideal cut and a slightly larger stone than I had originally intended?

I guess the question is this: is "face up" all that matters once a diamond is mounted, even in a 4-prong solitaire?

Thanks in advance for your help!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

Rest easy on this one.....a superideal "I" will face up beautifully in a 4-prong setting.

NewbieHere

Rough_Rock
I've seen several G-H-I-J "A Cut Aboves" by Whiteflash in person. They do face up very white. In fact the purchase came down to a J and an I in a very open setting. Purchased the I and it looks fine from the sides. I think you would be happy with it.

Arlington

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 8/19/2003 10:52:36 AM aljdewey wrote:

Rest easy on this one.....a superideal "I" will face up beautifully in a 4-prong setting.
----------------

Thanks for the reassurance! I was also concerned about what it will look like from the sides...but is sounds like I'll be OK from that angle as well, according to NewbieHere.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results