shape
carat
color
clarity

Color grade and Fluorescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mj2345

Rough_Rock
Well one week ago I didn''t even know the 4c''s stood for but have been doing a lot of research and read numerous posts. Now I believe to have a great grasp of the 4c''s and 9 other important factors. My question refers to color grade and Fluorescence. I''ve found a couple diamonds with a color H and G that have no Fluorescence properties. Would these grade diamonds look better if they had medium blue to them. I''ve seen some saying Faint Fluorescence, would that faint add anything to these color diamonds

Last week I would of never thought about buying a diamond online, but now I wouldn''t have it any other way after reading all your great comments. I wonder what people did 20 years ago, I guess alot of driving to different Jewlers

Thanks

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
It seems to be a commonly held belief that a little fluorescence is a good thing outside of the D-E-F stones. In my very limited experience I have not been able to see the supposed face-up improvement fluorescence brings to the table. If it were me, I wouldn't go looking for a stone with fluor with the hopes it will face up better.

I will see if I can find the chart that shows the discount or premium that fluorescence carries. It seems to me it was a discount for DEF, no diff for GHI, and actually a premium for JKL stones. As I bump this up for you, maybe a vendor can pipe in on the current fluor pricing trends.

R/A

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Although most of the diamonds we sell on-line do not exhibit any measurable degree of fluorescence, we are in fact partial to diamonds that exhibit medium blue fluorescence... It is a matter of personal preference... We like the way they face up in direct sunlight and under club lighting... Without being familiar with fluorescence you should probably stick with "none / inert / faint" but it might be worth a trip by the local jewelers to play with some of the fluorescent diamonds to determine whether it is a characteristic that you like.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Welcome to the forum MJ,

Medium blue fluorescence or less will not have any effect on a G or H color diamond, good or bad. Blue fluorescence will give you something interesting to talk about when you are under or near a black light in a darkened room, but that is about all.
Like the man said "It is a matter of personal preference".

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
All my stones have fluor. Perhaps it is my eyes -but I can tell a stone that has med/strong fluor. These stones look more "plugged in" to me. I can relate from experience of viewing several 3 carat stones. I viewed an "I" well cut stone w/ no fluor (GIA). I saw a faint hint of body color. My "I" w/ med/strong bl. fluor faces up significantly whiter than the other I.

When shopping for our initial engagement ring, I had the good fortune of picking from a "parcel". All the stones I prefered had bl. fluor and I indeed thought them to be "brighter" with more life.

Just my experience as a consumer. GIA did a study on bl. fluor - a good read.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results