shape
carat
color
clarity

color: G and H opinions needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gardengirl

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I''ve been lurking here awhile and this is my first post. I''ve read Jonathan''s tutorials (which are fabulously helpful) but was looking for some more opinions on being able to tell the difference between a G and H graded stone-- for your average Joe on the street.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
gardengirl

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
A 1 grade difference is not noticeable, even if the stones are pretty near each other in face up position. Remember that an ideal cut will make the color look better!
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I doubt one color grade will be noticable to the average person. Just make sure it's a great cut.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the others, that one grade will be difficult to detect, especially if you are comparing extremely well cut stones.

gardengirl

Rough_Rock
Even when set in platinum? You all think there would be no visual difference when viewing face up?

Would it be noticible compared to an E or F stone set in platinum?
I've read that usually because of the sparkle of a well cut stone, that the actual color of the stone is harder to discern.

True? False?

Gardengirl
read.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My 2 cents...we compared an E to a G stone and we did not see any noticeable difference in color between the two loose stones. Some people however would most likely see a difference, it depends on the eyes. However, this was both my fiance and myself comparing, and we didn't see a difference. Definitely nothing glaring.

We got the G stone and the color is very white, set into platinum. I have not seen a G compared to an H, but the general consensus from reading many posts on this issue is that you can probably go up to at least an H without seeing any color in the stone when set into plat, making sure the stone is cut well. Some also say that I is an acceptable color for plat with a well-cut, but others do not agree. IMO G is a great compromise to not have to pay the premium markup for a D/E/F stone and if you are little worried about an H/I. Then again maybe I am a little biased with my blinding G!
1.gif

Since I just took some more pictures of my ring (still obsessed after all these months!!), I'll post a little one for you here to see the G set into plat against my hand. Isn't it pretty?
1.gif
Oh and I've been in the sun alot, so my hand is very dark!

Good luck....

(PS..WOW that picture was bigger than I thought...sorry for the assault on the eyeballs!)
(PPS....These closeup pictures are NOT flattering to the skin on hands, I need to moisturize!)

smwhiteringonhand.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results