shape
carat
color
clarity

color enhanced diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

leslieaddleman

Rough_Rock
I want to buy a colored diamond.
Color enhanced diamonds are affordable on market.
Has any one any experience with these types of modified diamonds.
Are they genuine? Does color lasts forever?

Search on internet got me some sites that sell these.
Can some one recommend some good site.

Can I get my own diamond colored?
Will it be worth it?
I found few sites that do it.
Any recommendations?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome. Do you mean a coloured diamond such as a blue for example, or a white diamond with an improved colour which has been treated?

Here is a thread which might help.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/lab-enhanced-diamonds.26411/= regarding lab treatments.

You can use the search tool above, type in color enhanced and lots of info will come up.

One of our posters Rod has a friend who has a colour enhanced diamond, a lovely blue one. He might log on later and be able to help further.

leslieaddleman

Rough_Rock
I found these days it is possible to afford nice fancy colors in diamonds like blue, green, yellow, pink, etc.
I found some of these being sold at ebay.
Also found few labs doing these processes called HPHT, radiation. etc.

Will it be worth getting my cape stone colored to nice yellow or pink?
Will it be resellable?
Has anyone tried getting their diamonds colored?

search on internet got me to some labs like sundance, yehuda, prism gem, leshem anyone tried any of these?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Use the search tool at the top of the page to find out more about lab treatments. You really need an expert's advice here and it can be a little quieter here on weekends. It is so hard to answer your question and I am just a consumer, not an expert, but I think if you are seriously considering it you need an expert to look at the diamond for you. I shouldn't imagine it is a risk free process and can depend on so many things.

Maybe poster Valeria will see this thread, she seems to know a bit about these treatments.

Also check out this link http://www.gia.edu/gemsandgemology/18578/2060/584/back_issue_article_detail.cfm might be helpful too.

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/12/2006 11:38:22 AM
Author: leslieaddleman
I found these days it is possible to afford nice fancy colors in diamonds like blue, green, yellow, pink, etc.
I found some of these being sold at ebay.
Also found few labs doing these processes called HPHT, radiation. etc.

Will it be worth getting my cape stone colored to nice yellow or pink?
Will it be resellable?
Has anyone tried getting their diamonds colored?

search on internet got me to some labs like sundance, yehuda, prism gem, leshem anyone tried any of these?
I don''t believe it is possible simply to treat a diamond to a chosen color. Various treatments may result in different colors, but they will vary depending on the characteristics of the diamond being treated. For example, a diamond dealer friend of mine used to select diamonds for irradiation to blue, but he needed to examine them and determine if they exhibited a certain type of fluorescence that would indicate a propensity to turn blue under radiation treatment. i believe pink is one of the rarer colors even for treated diamonds, while blue, blue-green, and yellow are more common.

Many of the treatments are largely permanent, although susceptible to high heat such as from a torch. They may improve the value of a low quality stone, and there is a market for them. But, like for all diamonds, the resale market for consumers is not likely to provide you with much return, if any. I think it largely comes down to personal preference whether it''s worth it to pay for the determination whether the treatment will help and the cost of the treatment if it will work.

There are a number of threads on treated diamonds that are searchable here if you want to look at some.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nothing to add , really... about what types are out there.

The 'normal' greenish yellow and turquoise blue irradiated colors seem pretty straight forward priced close to the light browns they come from. It has been like that for a while and I suspect these are the most 'established' treated colors. The pinks that come from treatment ... no idea what on Earth they are worth. There seem to be far fewer out there, sold with quite a bit of hype attached. No idea what happens with the value of these new-comers once they get away from the limelight of the advertising they come with. Seriously.

For example... OK, I know Ebay is a commercial snake pit, but even with those low expectations every time some posting brings a BIG puzzle. Check this out!

LINK
23.gif

Please don't take this to mean that HPHT pinks are more respected and valuable than the natural. I wonder what gives with this one. How many large enhanced diamonds might be out there anyway? The smaller ones HPHT light pinks I've met so far came at about near-colorless prices. Nothing like this odd gamble of a diamond.

Obviously, I don't know what is the gamut of color enhancements for diamonds. There's intense and vivid pink melee (under 10 pts diamond accents) sold as 'color enhanced'. No idea what enhancement is that. Natural colors are an order of magnitude more expensive for the same color. Same look, as far as I am concerned. Never a lab report for such small diamonds, even batches of them. Apparently, few care - the supply chain is expected to supply sufficient reassurance among jewelers... and buyers, if one would even ask.

And then, there are those synthetics...

And the occasional news about color enhanced red diamonds. (LINK to GIA article about them)
38.gif

All sorts of mysterious goods with allot of advertising in toe. They are quite new, I am puzzled at any value consideration regarding them.

This is about all that comes to mind.

If 'looking natural' is a concern, none of these deliver perfectly. Some are pretty far off, some less...

For examples, I don't think there are more than a dozen intense green-blue diamonds of natural color coming anywhere close to the ubiquitous irradiated blue. Those are so rare, the general opinion is that treated blue does not match anything natural. The blue synthetics might - but where to find any? There is so little supply, and the stones are mostly ideal rounds - the shape makes them look unbelievable, if anyone asked me. How many natural blue H&A rounds are there? 3? 4? In contrast, (nearly) all synthetics are cut that way.

The HPHT light pinks are quite believable - sometimes hazy. But it looks like they are made no more (not sure, if interested, you might want to ask).

The treated yellows are not bad - if the setting and cut make the vivid greenish yellow look right in the context. The natural counterparts are rare, but not so unbelievably rare as the blues...

No comment about what could make treated reds and greens seem not out of place. The green colored are a mystery to me - I have not seen true green color but been told they are out there. 'Gemctrl' should know more since he owns a few as far as I remember.

Probably the fair judgement of these stones is to be appreciated for what they are - not as a substitute for the natural colors. IMO, they are surely nice enough to be recognized in their own right.

Synthetics are something else - but the Q was about treatment. And I believe that the forum policy does not allow them around anyway.

My 2c. I am no expert. ...
34.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2006 11:11:51 AM
Author:leslieaddleman

Can I get my own diamond colored?
Will it be worth it?
I found few sites that do it.
Any recommendations?

I don''t know of any dealing with the public. Never asked, I guess.

My first question would be.. do they guarantee the outcome of the treatment or the integrity of your rock ? I mean, who is taking the hit if it breaks?

Irradiation should work out, but as far as I know, the result is not guaranteed (i.e. ''never know what will get out of your diamond).

Other treatments are not done on cut diamonds at all, as far as I know (i.e. not far).

I am curious of what is on offer too!
34.gif

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
I too was thinking of Rod when I saw this topic. It is fabulously blue. He could fill you in on any details you would need to know.

Rod, care to share your partners ''JLo'' ring with this newbie
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results