shape
carat
color
clarity

Color, Cut and Windows, Could You Live with this Cut?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE the color of this spinel. I see vivid pink,some purple tones and a touch of orange. But the cut is so wonky. For the price what do you think? Could you live with this cut or should I hold off and hope to find this color in a better cut? Comments on color are appreciated as well.

I appreciate your advice, even if it means talking me off a cliff. Thanks!

http://odysseygem.com/Gem_Shop/product_info.php?products_id=1810

gongli

Rough_Rock
though i am a fan of precision cutting, i also appreciate wonkiness in cuts. in the end, for me, color and clarity are key, they are of the stone. the cut is something that a craftsman puts on it, some craftwork is brilliant and precise, other craftwork is remarkable because of how much of the color and clarity of the natural stone it retains.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's well priced in today's market for a spinel that pink, over 2 carats, and it's probably eye clean, so yes, I could live with that cut. He has a good return policy, so it's worth a shot.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I have looked at this one too. It seems like the crown is pretty flat, that is what puts me off the most. But the color is gorgeous...

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I could not live with the window and the shallow crown and the boogers under the table.
The one TL linked to looks real nice.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Wowee - I love the second one! Good find, TL...now I know who to ask when I need to find a good Tan stone. ;))

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Yes I could live with it. You won't see the inclusions in real life either.

But the second one is much, much nicer IMO.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree on the second stone - good color, good cutting. Can you live with one under 2 cts?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even set the first gemstone would look wonky. Perhaps as a pendant it might not worry you as much? If it's for a ring then I don't think I could live with it. However, I could certainly live with the one that TL has found.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
TL's find is very nice. The 1st one has good color, but that window would make me crazy & "the boogers under the table" :lol: , VL.

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
Is it just me, or is the table completely off center in the 1st stone?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
PrincessCath|1330864021|3140400 said:
Is it just me, or is the table completely off center in the 1st stone?

Yes it is, but that often happens in stones that are cut to maximise the size of stone that the rough will cut. Sometimes cutting a 'perfect' stone will also mean losing colour. Plus 99% of people wouldn't even notice.

It's just one of those things with the rarer coloured stones and you have to decide if you can live with it or not. Personally if the colour is good enough then I don't mind an off-centre culet.

Diamonds are easy to cut to the 'right' shape - they're very common. However look at the rare fancy coloured diamonds and you will start to see wonky cuts and windows - not because the cutters aren't skilled but because it's a trade off between the ideal cut and not wasting very valuable material.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's one of mine with the wonkiest culet in the world! Thankfully this is in a pendant and because of the colour (which is why I kept it) and the fact that it's a natural heated only sapphire, I can just about live with it (just about). If it had been paler I never would have kept this stone.

Trim316.jpg

Trim315.jpg

Trim318a.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for all the replies. What I did not see when I viewed this stone was the shallow crown. Thanks Vapid for pointing that out as that would bug me to no end. I have been talked off the cliff. I adore the other stone that TL posted. The only thing is it is close in size to the other spinels I have and I wanted something bigger. But it is beautiful.......perhaps I will rethink that one. Thanks for having me take a second look at it TL. BTW LD your pendant is beautiful- wonky cut and all.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The shallow crown is the only thing that made me pause. Colour is good and I can live with the wonky cutting. Price has to decrease quite a bit for me to live with a flat stone though.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono I agree and am so glad others brought this to my attention. I bought the second stone the TL had posted a link to. I had looked at it before and it was worth a second look. Here is what Tan emailed me after the purchase: "This is great Mahenge Spinel.... honestly, this is a beautiful gem and the color is always lively."
Regards
Tan

So I am excited about it. Thanks again everyone for helping me make a smart purchase. I don't think I will ever make another gemstone purchase without consulting the Pricescope experts first.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
So I am excited about it. Thanks again everyone for helping me make a smart purchase. I don't think I will ever make another gemstone purchase without consulting the Pricescope experts first.
All we ask is that you come back with pictures when you get it in hand :bigsmile:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations Lisa!! :appl:

Looking forward to lots and lots of photos when you get it! :naughty:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wohoo! Can't wait to hear your opinion of the recommended spinel from Tan.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lisa:

Congrats - I love that stone! Can I threadjack for a moment to ask a question?

You all seem to have good luck in communications with Tan and I don't feel that I do at all. On the few occasions that I have contacted him, I get a curt, not incredibly well written response about "I recommend this stone and think you will be happy" or some such. I now wonder if it is really Tan I am communicating with, or whether it is one of his staff.

I have written messages directed to Tan with questions on stones and a good deal of information about what I seek. I am usually told "I will look" and then hear nothing further. Is there a better way to communicate with Tan (like a separate email) to get the same level of information about the quality of the stone and to get answers to specific questions I have regarding tone, saturation and modifiers?

Threadjack over, thanks.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Communication can be "iffy" with Tan. I recently asked a question about a stone, and I think his colleagues answered it, so I didn't get the right answer. I asked in my next email, "can Tan answer this question?" and I got the appropriate response. HTH.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, yes it does!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lisa - many congratulations! I think you're going to be very very happy. It's an incredibly lovely stone and look on the bright side, you won't have to admire it with your head on one side, hopping on your left leg waving your left arm in the air to make it look straight!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results