shape
carat
color
clarity

Color Cops - Take a stab at this stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
Okay. The Pear diamond has been graded by the GIA as an E color. The marquise is what we're trying to guess here. It is "supposedly" an "H", but I think that grading was too generous. The little round brilliant I tossed in just because. It wasn't graded by a lab but it is suppose to be a "G".

colorcops.jpg

What would you *guess* (this is just for fun)? Sorry for the cruddy photos.
1.gif

Nate

Shiny_Rock
K? L?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too would estimate around K/L--maybe a high M...the body color is really obvious from the bottom up shot in the first left picture. Those pictures look amazing, check out all the pretty sparkle!
1.gif
The marquis is still beautiful--just a little more colorful.

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
I maybe J. It's a marquise so it shows color more than the round, esp if the round is cut well. I think K or L is pushing it. The noticeable color isn't staurated througout the stone. But it may be the photos. Do you have an answer or just getting opinions?

Maybe I'm too generous.
tongue.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
J or K. Funny, it almost looks more yellow face up than down.

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
I don't have the answer.
1.gif
I wish I did. I'm going to have it graded before I have it set (a gift for a family member). I personally think it's a J.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
That marquise looks pretty "warm" but keep in mind that it is practically impossible to get a true feeling for the color of a diamond off of a picture... To begin with, the lighting in the room will tend to cast warm tones into the picture, this is why we grade diamonds for color under the controlled light of a GIA Diamond Light... Then there are differences in how each frame of the series will be taken by the camera... And finally differences in how the pictures will appear to each person viewing them depending on the color calibration of their computer monitor
2.gif

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
It definately looks yellow in person under both indoor and outdoor lighting. Even against a yellow gold setting it looks yellow. It's not unpleasing, just definately a warm stone.
1.gif

You're right about the monitor settings. My monitor is set darker than my hubby's and on his it looks a lot paler, though still quite warm next to the E pear.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
In the upside down picture it looks like a "K" to me,

in the small faceup picture it looks like a "J",

in the large faceup picture it looks like an "I".

My bet for fun would be a "J".

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
I would say it's an L/M. I'm reviewing a 2.62 carat pear M color, and the color looks the same as that stone.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
From the limiting conditions . It seems to have a slight ting of light brown.

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm. All very interesting observations. Iceman, do you think it might rate as a C1-C2 on the Champagne scale?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hi Cass! What a great picture!!!!!!!! I'd say J-K, faint brownish yellow hue. I think it's a VERY, VERY nice stone!!!!! Sorry if I'm curious, but wasn't it set in the princesses ring? Am I out of my mind?
1.gif

DiamondAngel... GREAT to see ya!!!!!!!
wavey.gif

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
Yup, that was the marquise.
1.gif

The longer I had it, the more I noticed the color. My Mother In Law doesn't have a diamond, she's currently wearing a sim. So the other night I pulled appart my engagement ring, took out the marquise, and bought a pretty little 14K yellow gold and diamond semi-mount off of eBay that I'm having the stone reset into. I'm presenting it to her on her Birthday, which is also the same day we're having our belated Wedding Reception.
1.gif
I know she loves the stone because she was always complimenting me on my ring.
1.gif
I didn't realize how off the color was on it until I placed it next to the E.
sick.gif
But it will be much less noticable in the yellow gold setting than in my old white gold setting. I thought it'd be sentimental for her too, being the diamond that her son and I got married with. I'm wearing my sim Heart Prong until we get my upgrade.
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Well, I'm glad I'm not sooooooo out of my mind...
Gotta go now... I'm going clubbin'... I just need it! He he
1.gif

thefnsh1

Rough_Rock
Hi!
I've been reading a few of the diamond msg boards (DCC, DT, and here) for a while, interesting to compare and contrast, usually don't post. But, I want to throw my guess in for fun.

I think it is a "J". My own round diamond is a J, and I think I actually like some warmth- your marquis is very pretty.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I'll throw in my opinion - I have a J color 1.50 that I can see no color in upside down (well, maybe a bit grayer than my F color), so I vote for K....should be interesting to find out.
10.gif

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
L i am certain L

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Stones CANNOT be color graded in this manner, anywhere near accurately.

Since each color grade is worth $ hundreds per carat, guesses here are not reliable.

What gets me is why people take guesses with other people's money.... If the stone doesn't have a major lab report, then it should be taken or sent to a lab or an appraiser.

How many here have had their eyes tested to establish proper color hue discrimination?

Rockdoc

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
RockDoc... I did say this was for *fun*. I do plan on having it graded professionally, but I wanted to see what people thought it was. So in this instance, I'm taking people's guesses as just that, guesses, and not as facts. It is possible to have just a little bit of fun here, with my post. When the results come back it may surprise people, and just prove your point even more.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
How many here have had their eyes tested to establish proper color hue
discrimination?
-----------

The other day I had my eyes tested by discriminating the color hue between Heineken green, Beck's green and LaBatt's green.

To make it interesting I had the 3 point handicap of a smokey room, low lighting, and a stunning blonde in a short red dress sitting at the table next to us.

All I could see was reddddddddddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nate

Shiny_Rock
Beck's is teh win.
beer.gif

optimized

Shiny_Rock
I have no guess, but I too wanted to comment on how well those pics actually came out (for being "cruddy"). Puurrrty....

Btw, Rock...

Pricescope is an equal opportunity forum. There will be NO DISCRIMINATION here! All hues welcome!
naughty.gif

(I must be getting tired...)

-Tim

optimized

Shiny_Rock
selections on tap (from America's oldest brewery, btw). Lager for sure, and perhaps some Black & Tan for those who prefer a bit more body in their brews.

-Tim

[/u]

yuengbanner2.gif

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
Update: It did rate around an I/J in color, for those wondering.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 5/31/2003 10
6.gif
8:52 PM Richard Sherwood wrote:

The other day I had my eyes tested by discriminating the color hue between Heineken green, Beck's green and LaBatt's green.

To make it interesting I had the 3 point handicap of a smokey room, low lighting, and a stunning blonde in a short red dress sitting at the table next to us.

All I could see was reddddddddddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
----------------

Richard, this gave me a good chuckle.

Cass, my guess would've been an L/M. It's a beautiful stone and your MIL will be thrilled.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Cass. I was wondering too!
wavey.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/31/2003 7
6.gif
8:34 PM RockDoc wrote:

Stones CANNOT be color graded in this manner, anywhere near accurately.

Since each color grade is worth $ hundreds per carat, guesses here are not reliable.

What gets me is why people take guesses with other people's money.... If the stone doesn't have a major lab report, then it should be taken or sent to a lab or an appraiser.

How many here have had their eyes tested to establish proper color hue discrimination?

Rockdoc

----------------

Rockdoc:

Did you miss the statement below the original post where Cassandra said this is JUST FOR FUN??

Please....lighten up.....really. We all have heard your message a gazillion times.....only a professional can appropriately grade a ring. It's a good message, really, and one I agree with.

But even the best message gets really old and distasteful when someone tries to use a sledgehammer to get the message across. When you cross the border from "passionate" to "zealot-like", the content of your message gets lost.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results