shape
carat
color
clarity

Color coordination

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Hey all! :wavey:

As the CS group, you're great with color coordination and knowing which colors match what metal best.
I LOVE this setting: http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/lotus-diamond-engagement-ring-by-leon-mege-1244.htm

I'm thinking of having something similar made (without the exuberant price tag) with a blue stone. Light blue, blue zircon-ish.

With a white gold setting and a colored lotus underneath, wouldn't the color of the metal show through? In this case, the rose gold? Would that affect the color of the blue of the stone? Would yellow gold be better? Would it be best to be all white gold?

Thanks in advance!!

lotus.jpg

blue diamond color.jpg

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
PSed with the blue stone.

dream lotus.jpg

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
I like the color combo... go for it!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cant answer your questions but that would be lovely!

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, alright. I couldn't entirely envision it until I photoshopped it anyway.
Thanks for the support!! :D

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually, i like it a lot. didn't think i would until i saw the photoshop you did. :appl: go for it!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you chose a blue zircon or a blue sapphire, no I don't think the metal would show through... if you choose blue topaz or aquamarine, I think yes, the metal would show through.

Gorgeous setting though - hope you'll post updates as the project goes along - love to see what stone you decide on!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think it would also look great with yellow gold petals set with yellow diamond petals.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would look beautiful.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
marymm|1310865018|2970607 said:
If you chose a blue zircon or a blue sapphire, no I don't think the metal would show through... if you choose blue topaz or aquamarine, I think yes, the metal would show through.

Gorgeous setting though - hope you'll post updates as the project goes along - love to see what stone you decide on!

I agree; I think it depends on the RI of the stone. Lower-RI stones have more of a tilt window and would show the gold more easily. For a blue stone I'd probably ask if they can do yellow gold (the gold in your photoshop looks yellow).

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
wakingdreams53|1310848753|2970492 said:
PSed with the blue stone.

Wow, this is gorgeous!! I love the design with the color of the stone. I think this could work with other blue colored stones as well, like spinel, sapphire, etc.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
jstarfireb said:
marymm|1310865018|2970607 said:

I agree; I think it depends on the RI of the stone. Lower-RI stones have more of a tilt window and would show the gold more easily. For a blue stone I'd probably ask if they can do yellow gold (the gold in your photoshop looks yellow).

Well I'd have a very high RI stone. I love lower RIs too, but something perpetually sparkly gets me each time :)
So even in a high RI blue, you'd suggest yellow over rose gold?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Well, I'm a HUGE fan of rose gold and prefer it over yellow almost all the time. The exception for me is with pure blue stones. I think yellow gold really brings out the best in a blue stone.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ohhh that ps'ed picture is delicious!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
That colour combo is really pretty, I agree go with it.

Please though, do go to Sally of HOW (Heart of Water) jewels for the Lotus setting.
It is her original design, and Sally's designs come without the over the top pricetags.

She does many customised pieces for PSers, if you do a search here you can see lots of examples.
:))

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1310966029|2971184 said:
Well, I'm a HUGE fan of rose gold and prefer it over yellow almost all the time. The exception for me is with pure blue stones. I think yellow gold really brings out the best in a blue stone.

I agree. Since I saw TL's cuprian tourmaline in 18K YG halo, it gave me a new appreciation for yellow gold and blue stones. The contrast is stunning, like an ancient buried treasure.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
I'll definitely keep the yellow gold + blue stone in mind!

@ArjunaJane, I originally wanted Sally's HOW lotus, but I really love the Petals underneath the head. I don't know if she could do that. I wasn't planning on going through WF, but rather Sheila who I found on db.
I'd love to get a Sally lotus and hopefully one day will, but for a cabochon stone. :))

PSed with yellow gold petals.

Though to be honest, I'm still deciding between blue or white stone. I'm just afraid that blue won't work with daily wear-- even though it's my favorite color...

lotus blue with yellow gold.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I originally suggested yellow gold with the blue zircon, but I am having second thoughts now that I see it. I think yellow gold looks good with a more saturated blue, like a classic sapphire color. With this lighter blue color, I think the pink gold looks better, at least on Photoshop.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious said:
I originally suggested yellow gold with the blue zircon, but I am having second thoughts now that I see it. I think yellow gold looks good with a more saturated blue, like a classic sapphire color. With this lighter blue color, I think the pink gold looks better, at least on Photoshop.

Yeah... I attempted to make the center stone darker. I still like the rose gold more... maybe that's just me.

lotus dark blue with yellow gold.jpg

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
goodness knows I have been drooling over that WF/Leon ring for some time now. though I never did imagine it with a blue gem, I think it would look lovely with rose gold!

I just saw the 'sheila' lotus online, and I've gotta say, also beautiful. I think either way you go, it will end up being gorgeous! can't wait to see what you do!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous setting & I love it w/a blue stone. If daily wear is a goal, what about a blue spinel, if you don't do sapphire? Zircon would look great but they're a tad iffy for everyday wear. Anyway, the yg is soooo pretty with blue!

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Kas baby, right? The moment WF released that setting I've been justifying it's 4 prongs and Leon price tag haha. Definitely drool worthy!

JewelFreak, thank you! I didn't mean in the sense of hardness/durability with daily wear. I think sapphires are just beyond gorgeous, but I meant with outfits and whatnot. This would be an e-ring so I'm going through the whole "colored stone vs. clear stone" since clear/white would go with any/every outfit. Certainly one of each never hurt a girl ;))

I constantly go back to this thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-did-you-pick-a-colored-gemstone-for-your-engagement-ring.147773/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-did-you-pick-a-colored-gemstone-for-your-engagement-ring.147773/[/URL] to learn why others have colored erings. I'd like something more unique (hence the setting), but broad flashes of color make my heart go pitter patter. I bought myself a purple CZ for my birthday and I don't tire of it. It's sparkly and wonderful and not white... but sapphire's RI is lower that CZs which makes me hesitant.
If not, I have my eye on a Richard Homer stone that's beyond gorgeous. :)

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I have a colored gemstone (blue sapphire) e-ring and could not be happier! I have never regretted my choice. It works for me, I love it, and that's what matters most- that the wearer loves it!! :bigsmile:

or you could always get more than one :naughty:

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Kas baby, I have your ring saved in my Favorite Sapphire Rings folder! It's so beautiful!
Good thing I still have time to decide ;))

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am definitely a fan of that setting!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I like YG with the saturated blue sapphire, but still RG with the less saturated one. You should do what appeals to you most.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wd - I wonder if you've seen yingh's aqua in a Vatche Swan? [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-done-aqua-in-vatche-swan-setting.144438/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-done-aqua-in-vatche-swan-setting.144438/[/URL]

Not the sparkly stone you want, and different setting, but something about that giant baby blue rock in the intricate dainty setting is just... :love: :love: :love:

Definitely Ering worthy - and simply impossible to tire of, I should think, it's just too pretty!

I prefer the rose gold base too ::)

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie, I saw that ring on the WF site. I should've figured it was a PSer. Total :love: :love: :love: . You're right, that's not the type of thing you tire of.
I do love that light blue, but I wouldn't trust myself with an aqua. Thanks for linking! I think a lighter blue is easier to match with outfits than the traditional royal blue...

Pregcurious, I agree. I'm leaning towards the rg w/ less saturation.

Any opinions of this ring w/ 6 prongs?

sarahharris

Rough_Rock
Trade
I think the rose gold and that light blue stone look great together. It's a nice combination because neither color is too overpowering, they just compliment each other nicely.

I don't think you will have too many problems with the rose gold coming through. And even if it does a little, it might give it an even more unique look.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
wakingdreams53|1311906989|2979463 said:
Yssie, I saw that ring on the WF site. I should've figured it was a PSer. Total :love: :love: :love: . You're right, that's not the type of thing you tire of.
I do love that light blue, but I wouldn't trust myself with an aqua. Thanks for linking! I think a lighter blue is easier to match with outfits than the traditional royal blue...

Pregcurious, I agree. I'm leaning towards the rg w/ less saturation.

Any opinions of this ring w/ 6 prongs?

Question: What type of stone are you considering setting in this mounting? You mentioned a high RI, like zircon, but I have read that it can also be easily abraded. Are you thinking of a light blue sapphire? Any stones you have your eye on right now?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results