shape
carat
color
clarity

Color / Clarity Question - Help me Choose

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cuts33

Rough_Rock
Hey all, long time listener, first time caller.

I am looking to purchase my first stone (and hopefully the last) and am torn between a 2 Ct Princess H SI 1 and a 2Ct. G VS2.

The proportions and cut on each are both great and they would classified as "ideal" by anyone.

The physical dimensions are also virtually the same.

The difference in price though is almost $2,000.

Basically my question is - if the SI 1 is completely eye-clean - is there really any justification for going with the G VS2? Is the difference in color/clarity really worth the extra $ ?

Thoughts/Opinions?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2009 4:45:25 PM
Author:Cuts33

I am looking to purchase my first stone (and hopefully the last) and am torn between a 2 Ct Princess H SI 1 and a 2Ct. G VS2.

The proportions and cut on each are both great and they would classified as ''ideal'' by anyone.

Basically my question is - if the SI 1 is completely eye-clean - is there really any justification for going with the G VS2? Is the difference in color/clarity really worth the extra $ ?

Thoughts/Opinions?
Welcome, glad you decided to join us!

If you could give us a bit more info that would help please - are the diamonds being sold online or have you seen them in a jewellery store? If online, can you request ASET images and photographs of the diamonds - I take it they are both Princess? Are they both GIA graded? It is the cut quality which would determine the choice for me so if you have any more info concerning this, that would be great.

Cuts33

Rough_Rock
Hi and thanks for your response.

Yes, both are princess cuts and both are GIA graded.

They are being bought online.

I attached an actual picture - the G VS2 is on the left H SI1 is on the right.

I agree that Cut is the most important and I have been assured they are virtually identical in terms of cut quality. I had them pull multiple stones to compare the cut and basically held a little tournament where the loser is eliminated and the more brilliant one moves on to the next round. These are the 2 finalists.

205v206.JPG

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
A little advice about color: it depends on what setting you are using. My boyfriend and I have been looking at diamonds and an H, I, and J looked great in white or yellow gold, but looked a bit yellowish in the pave setting I want because the diamonds are G in color. Hence we had to upgrade the stone to at least a G.

As for VS2 and SI1, as long as they''re both eye-clean, why bother with the VS2 when SI1 will do? As for the color, it depends on what you''re mounting it in and how sensitive you are to color. I''ve been told G and H aren''t much different but to me I can see a big difference, however this is from omeone who is extremely color sensitive. Good luck!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 4:45:25 PM
Author:Cuts33

The proportions and cut on each are both great and they would classified as ''ideal'' by anyone.

Thoughts/Opinions?

just answering your Q: if all is equal with the stones and both are eye clean...I personally would go with the SI1...saving that much is great and you can use the money for the setting or even for the future wedding band.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 10:21:16 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
If the SI1 is eyeclean, I would save the money and put it towards your honeymoon.
Great idea! Me too!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the SI1 is eyeclean, I would save the money and put it towards your honeymoon.
Thritto

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/17/2009 8:24:19 AM
Author: Lorelei

Thritto
Me too: I have done exactlly that with my large diamonds, two of which are SI1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results