shape
carat
color
clarity

Color changing stones

MissHunneeBunnie

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!
I just bought a vintage jewelry set that said it was aquamarine and diamond, but as soon as I brought them home and cleaned them, I noticed the stones chafed color! I don't know if it was because of the water, or because of the hot temperature of the water, but before I take them to the jeweler, does anyone know about this? Maybe they aren't aquamarine? I added shots of when they are dry, and then when they are wet. The last photo is the wet one and I noticed one stone got darker and the others appear a light green. The blue stones on the necklace get darker, but it won't show in photos, and the other earrings blue stones turn light green as well. I'm hoping I didn't buy junk, but I know that can happen when you buy things at antique marts, any input is greatly appreciated!

_2421.jpeg

_2422.jpeg

_2423.jpeg

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To my very untrained/uneducated eye it looks like aquamarine for sure when it's dry.

Might it be poor quality blue topaz that's been dyed or something (I know they are usually irradiated) and hence washing it is washing out the dye a bit?

After they've been wet and then dried again, does the original colour come back?

MissHunneeBunnie

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for responding! Yes, when they are dry, the light green ones change back to blue, and the dark one lightens back up as well, so that's why I am so puzzled to what is going on because the gold karat was incorrect on the ticket, so I didn't know what else was right on the ticket, especially when I cleaned them!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh so intriguing... Please come back and let us know if you do get to the bottom of it 8)

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You have a mystery here..........can you take them outside and take pic's of them in direct sunlight, and then turn your back to the sun and take pic's in the indirect light on the shadow side? All pieces next to each other for comparison. And a bit closer to the jewelry would help............or let us know what the jeweler says. Hopefully you have a skilled CS person nearby.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results