shape
carat
color
clarity

Color changing OMC diamond/FCD?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchased Kelpie's champagne OMC, and I love it as it was exactly what I was was looking for (I prefer champagne/warm diamonds to bright white ... I am odd, I know) and always wanted a old cushion cut, so it was spot on for my diamond desires. :love:

Anyway, when admiring it in the sunset light this evening, I noticed that it seemed to change color in a very odd/unique way. Mind you, I find it VERY cool, so if the explanation for this is "less than desirable" by industry or collector standards, I won't be offended nor "put off" about the purchase. I just want to understand what I am seeing and why.

In indirect light, it is a warm champagne color. Moving it into direct sunlight, it goes almost white with chunks or flecks of gold, then goes back to warm champagne when back in indirect light. I would think it would look more gold, picking up the golden sunlight, but it went white in most of the stone. Again, I won't be put off if you think it's not what I want to hear. I love it, no matter what.

Here is a video I took trying to capture what I was seeing.

http://youtu.be/CcT2spZdjxk

Can anyone please explain this appearance of changing color? I honestly didn't know diamonds did that, but I have only ever had the usual princess, radiant, marquise and smaller OMC/OEC cuts.

Thanks in advance for any help/information!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are seeing more contrast because the stone is low in color. It is going to show more color in some lighting more than others. Whiter stones also will pick up environmental colors and look different in various lighting, but I do think lower color stones will show this even more. Your stone looks very pretty!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1401936100|3686775 said:
You are seeing more contrast because the stone is low in color. It is going to show more color in some lighting more than others. Whiter stones also will pick up environmental colors and look different in various lighting, but I do think lower color stones will show this even more. Your stone looks very pretty!

Thank you for responding. I understand it being a lower color stone means it will behave differently, but I guess I would have thought it would turn more "gold" in the sunset lighting vs going white. Seems to be behaving opposite of my brain's logic. :confused:

Is it possible it does this due to fluorescence? I will be the first to admit I am highly ignorant of diamond characteristics & reactions, and need a "for dummies" breakdown. I don't quite breakdown the stats, investment grade, etc.; rather, I go with what speaks to me and I will love wearing, so I haven't gotten myself educated in the diamond world. :oops:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bump ... Any further explanation/clarification on why it goes white in evening sun? I really would think it would take on the environmental colors, but it did the opposite, it seems, by going white in the sunset lighting while I was also wearing a bright pink shirt. :confused:

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
What a beautiful stone! You are right, it does look fancy when it is in the shade and that is normal but it is also normal that it looks brighter and whiter in strong light, direct sunshine, etc., it is because it is not a fancy color but not sure where it is on the scale, also the color is not completely even. This is one reason I normally prefer even colored fancies but I do have to say this is a gorgeous stone and I enjoy such stones as well; you just cannot expect to see the same saturation of color as in fancies. As long as you are ok with that, enjoy your new beauty!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
At one time I had purchased a brownish pink diamond-it did the same thing. The color would drain in direct sunlight and there would be a few splotches of color left. I was told at the time it was due to the strong fluorescence. This does not happen to all FCDs with strong fluorescence, but I've seen it react that way to several gems I've looked at in the past. The fancy pink in my avatar also has strong blue fl- but it is amazing in direct sunlight-lots of brilliant purple sparks!! I always ask for FCDs to be checked in direct sunlight before I purchase. I, personally, didn't care for the look in my brownish pink so I returned it.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ah if this stone that strong blue fluor then that explains it, I did not pay attention to that, unfortunately fluor can be unpredictable in fancies and I really try to stay away from it in fancy colors because in many cases it could drain the color out of yellows, champagne, ditto. Still a very nice stone though. No, it would be the opposite of your logic because strong, direct and bright light washes out colors and dim light shows color tins a lot more. Think about colorless diamond, their tint shows a lot more on shady days.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks much for your replies! Those help! I took it out for a morning view this morning to see how it performed in overcast morning light, and it kept it's color but threw out some blue flashes. Aside from a grayish-blue sky, there wasn't any blue around (e.g., my clothing or anything). It's a strange acting stone, but I love it to pieces for it's interesting characteristics!

http://youtu.be/Y_vu8xv-IKk

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One last video ... Under TFLs ... Just because it shows how pretty & sparkly it is! And who doesn't like seeing that? :bigsmile:

http://youtu.be/6ab8kAJR1mY

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Jenn,

I also think it could be the SB fluorescence masking the tint in sunlight, you know what chameleons diamonds are anyway, always showing a different personality according to the lighting, what a gorgeous stone, definitely one of the loveliest examples of a champagne hued stone I have seen! :love:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei|1402061778|3687735 said:
Hi Jenn,

I also think it could be the SB fluorescence masking the tint in sunlight, you know what chameleons diamonds are anyway, always showing a different personality according to the lighting, what a gorgeous stone, definitely one of the loveliest examples of a champagne hued stone I have seen! :love:

OVincze said:
Ah if this stone that strong blue fluor then that explains it, I did not pay attention to that, unfortunately fluor can be unpredictable in fancies and I really try to stay away from it in fancy colors because in many cases it could drain the color out of yellows, champagne, ditto. Still a very nice stone though. No, it would be the opposite of your logic because strong, direct and bright light washes out colors and dim light shows color tins a lot more. Think about colorless diamond, their tint shows a lot more on shady days.

pinkjewel said:
At one time I had purchased a brownish pink diamond-it did the same thing. The color would drain in direct sunlight and there would be a few splotches of color left. I was told at the time it was due to the strong fluorescence. This does not happen to all FCDs with strong fluorescence, but I've seen it react that way to several gems I've looked at in the past. The fancy pink in my avatar also has strong blue fl- but it is amazing in direct sunlight-lots of brilliant purple sparks!! I always ask for FCDs to be checked in direct sunlight before I purchase. I, personally, didn't care for the look in my brownish pink so I returned it.

Thanks ALL for your input/responses, and compliments! SOOO very helpful! As I mentioned earlier, this doesn't detract in any way from my admiration and love of the stone, it's color, etc. If anything, it's just one more unique property or aspect to it that makes me love it more. I tend to love most the "Charlie Brown Christmas Tree" type gems that wouldn't pass a collector's test, but the plus side is, it usually means I get a great deal as well, which I really feel is the case here. It's a LOVELY stone in person, and I'm sending it off today for setting, and cannot wait to get it back finished so I can admire it regularly. :D

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
OP, you have nothing to be ashamed of when it comes to this stone; it has a lot of personality, very pretty and unique stone for sure. I hope you will get to enjoy it and keep us posted about her new home, we want to see it set too!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for that, but I am not ashamed in the least. It is everything I ever wanted in a diamond - old cut, cushion & champagne color. I feel like I hit the jackpot with it! LOL

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Maybe you misunderstood me OP, if so, sorry about it. I too love the cut and color. Congrats!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No worries! ;-) I am ecstatic about it. Just mailed her off for setting. Will be sure to circle back with pics when she is done. Thanks!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting the videos - I defer to people more expert on what is causing the behavior you're asking about, but I sure do like watching that rock sparkle!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1402101072|3688199 said:
Thanks for posting the videos - I defer to people more expert on what is causing the behavior you're asking about, but I sure do like watching that rock sparkle!

So do I! I have bought a few pieces over the last year (my pseudo-mid-life crisis since I'm about to turn 40 LOL) and I do believe this one is my absolute favorite. I cannot wait until it is set so I can wear/enjoy it without worrying I'm going to drop the loose stone. To me, there is just something so incredibly romantic about it ... the old cut, the color, the shape and that it has remained so beautiful for its age. I don't know how old it is, but I'm guessing 150 years or so. I don't know when they stopped making OMCs. :confused:

My only regret is that I didn't look more closely at it when I first saw it a month or so ago so I could have bought it sooner. :wink2:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful. SImply beautiful.
Don't you just love it when you find something unique that makes your heart sing?!
wear it in good health =)
Jimmi

edit: what setting did you choose?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will be set in an 18k unplated WG vintage inspired repro setting. I will post pics when it's completed. :D

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That sounds great OP, I think that is the perfect setting for this beauty. I too love unplated WG, it has a more natural, organic look, cannot wait to see it set! Share lots of pix please.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I enjoyed the video so much, what a lovely stone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results