shape
carat
color
clarity

Color change spinel

Topazosjones

Rough_Rock
I've got a color change spinel from my bf.
It has blue and purple under led light and red under incandescent,also pink some times 20211026_212749.jpg

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I am sorry to tell you that this is pretty certainly not a spinel. It's either synthetic alexandrite or synthetic color change corundum. All of these vintage pieces with big, clean stones but no diamonds are costume jewelry, always, every time. You should move this thread to Costume Jewelry. It is a nice gift for sure, but Colored Stones is not the right forum, as we discuss natural gems, not synthetics.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of the gems posted by this OP are synthetic, yet he or she insists on posting here and claiming they are natural.

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
All of the gems posted by this OP are synthetic, yet he or she insists on posting here and claiming they are natural.

I've noticed a bit more lenience on lab grown stones lately in this forum. A few years ago, it was Earth-mined or no go. Five years ago, lab grown were like a blacklist topic. I wonder how much traffic a lab grown colored stones section would get now that they're gaining more popularity? I think lots of people think costume jewelry is glass and such, and are reluctant to post their lab minerals there.

Topazosjones

Rough_Rock

The gem in the ring is not true to color in the photo,it has a black cherry red look in real life

Topazosjones

Rough_Rock
Synthetic, exactly what I said above.
Your off your rocker,I've seen saphires of similar color go for thousands,what made you think it's sythetic?
It's from a small jeweler in Tokyo that closed in the 80's
Here's a similar saphire to mine

Attachments

• Capture+_2021-10-29-02-01-46.png
    Capture+_2021-10-29-02-01-46.png
    618.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Topazosjones

Rough_Rock
Your off your rocker,I've seen saphires of similar color go for thousands,what made you think it's sythetic?
It's from a small jeweler in Tokyo that closed in the 80's
Here's a similar saphire to mine

Capture+_2021-10-29-02-01-18.png

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is not possible to confirm if a stone is real or synthetic or its type based on just photos alone.

If the OP truly believes the stone is real as in earth-mined and worth something, then the only way to confirm that is to send the piece to a reputable lab to be tested.

DK :))

Topazosjones

Rough_Rock
It is not possible to confirm if a stone is real or synthetic or its type based on just photos alone.

If the OP truly believes the stone is real as in earth-mined and worth something, then the only way to confirm that is to send the piece to a reputable lab to be tested.

Thanks,the only reason I persist is that my ring is antique,custom,and was thought to be very expensive even back then..

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Synthetics were in high demand and popular years ago, especially in antique settings to the point some would custom set the synthetic stones. There are far too many markers that point to it not being a natural sapphire.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks,the only reason I persist is that my ring is antique,custom,and was thought to be very expensive even back then..

I appreciate that's what you have been informed by whoever passed the jewellery down to you; however, without being tested by a reputable lab, your guess is as good as anyone else's.

You can persist as much as you wish to, however, it is what it is - only a lab test can confirm. It is the only way to prove that you are right and the doubters are wrong.

Last edited:

nutellakitty

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If you got Alexandrite or Color change sapphire that big and clean and natural it is not going to be just $8000.
More likely $80K to $500K or more. However If you ever own a real natural $80K gem I think you will know that big clean stone is synthetic.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
OP will do what he likes. He asked for expert opinions and got them. The stone is synthetic. He could choose to spend his money to verify that it's synthetic, but in my opinion, it would not be a worthwhile venture.

68F31606-123D-4A04-ADC4-70CFA3E114BA.png 58F30B78-DC36-4020-AC20-C42AEDF39B8B.png 42678E0E-0A5B-4F01-BC58-3159BA88D84B.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed. This is very likely synthetic. But if OP is convinced it is natural, then he or she should send it to a lab

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There’s nothing wrong with lab grown gems and lab grown sapphire has all the attributes of natural sapphire from the earth. It can be difficult to tell them apart visually.
The big difference though is price per carat value and rarity.
If in doubt submit for a lab report, otherwise just enjoy.

Bebe goldeneyes

Rough_Rock
Tb
this Is an identically colored sapphire, the black shade with red flashes is beautiful

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results