shape
carat
color
clarity

color change garnet???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

onelordonegod

Rough_Rock
Could someone please help me identify this stone? My mother was given this ring by my grandmother (in the 60''s, I believe) who bought it for her as a birthstone ring. She purchased it from a local jewlery store with the understanding that it was an amethyst. When my mother gave it to me, I could not believe it was an amethyst, since it''s color dramatically changes depending on the lighting, and I''ve never seen an amethyst do that before. I have been searching, and a color change garnet seems to fit the description perfectly for this stone, as it is a reddish purple in soft light and a blue with green undertones in flourescent lighting. Here are a couple of pics (that was a difficult task!) and they are pretty close to the actual color of the stone. the first is in soft lighting, and the second (in the next post) is in flourescent light. Thank you for your time!:)

(1 of 3).jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By the cut and the color change, I suspect it's a synthetic color change corundum (sapphire), but you need to take it to a gemologist to verify.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking at the extreme/completeness of colour change and perfectnes of colour, I would expect it to be man-made aka synthetic.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I''m sorry but I agree with the others. This is very typical of a synthetic gemstone. They were made to mimic either sapphires or alexandrites. Very often you see these in much older pieces than you would imagine.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I would guess that it's a synthetic alexandrite - my grandmother has a very similar one that she bought in the early 50's.

They're fun stones.

ETA: Having taken a look at the second picture, I would say it's definitely not a garnet if that is a true representation of the colour. Colour change garnets showing that level of blue are a very new discovery in Madagascar - one of the posters on PS owns one and it's the only one that I have seen to date that shows a true blue change.

Most colour-change garnets that are going from a pink to a blue (there are other changes eg pink to an orange etc) are cranberry/raspberry pink changing to a grayish purply blue.

onelordonegod

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your time, and answers! This clears things up, and, though it''s of no real monitary value, I will continue to enjoy this ring:) ( I have no idea why the attached picture was blown up to the point of no chance in any picture clarity, but I am new to this, and, I guess I don''t know the tricks yet! The pics looked much better smaller!:))
-Thanks again and Blessings to all of you

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes, it''s the sentiment behind the object that is has more value than any dollar amount attached to it. Enjoy the ring.

Swala Gem Traders

Rough_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results