shape
carat
color
clarity

Color and Skin Tone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
I''ve read a little bit on here about how warmer colored diamonds (say the "low" H to J range) complement certain skin tones. I have a friend who is about to propose to his girlfriend of six years, who is a redhead and VERY fair and I''m trying to help figure out what specs would be best to look for. He really wants to not involve her because she''s been so patient in waiting for him to finish school, etc.

Does anyone here have experience with buying diamonds for women (or men) of this skin tone? If so, is your preference generally in the D-F range or the I-J range in terms of skin tone?

reena

Ideal_Rock
i'm no expert on this, but i believe i've heard people say they think that warmer colored stones tend to complement "warmer" skin tones--that is, people with yellow or olive toned skin. this girl sounds very fair, so that may not work with her. but really, it's just a matter of personal preference.

even if your friend does decide to go with something relatively colorless, though, there's no need to stick with the DEF range--a G H or even I might face up completely white (depending on the shape of the stone, the size, and the quality of the cut, etc.).

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Does she typically wear yellow gold jewelry?

I always did cuz I liked the way it looked better w my coloring - i have auburn hair & light skin. When it came time to pick the diamond, i gravitated toward I/Js (tho i did end up w a platinum band - just cuz i thought it looked better w the diamond, tho not as nice w my skintone). Is she pale w freckles? ...could be my freckles that compliment the warmer tones?

I'm w Reena - if he's unsure, maybe he should stick w a well-cut G-H?
1.gif

Rowan

Shiny_Rock
Definately find out what her metal of choice is. If she likes white metals then I would stick with a whiter stone. G-H is still very nice. I'm a very pale strawberry blond and I like white metals even though the yellow might look better on me. I have a G stone in platinum and it looks great on my skin. And very white. If she likes yellow gold, then I wouldn't worry about a warmer stone. It's going to look warmer in the yellow gold.

rfath

Shiny_Rock
Well... I'm pretty much as pale as people come (I was rumored to be an albino in high school - just really really pale!). I'm trotting around with a J stone in platinum and don't really notice a tinting or that it looks 'off' with my skin color.

I don't really like the way that yellow gold looks on my skin, though, so maybe my perception is way off!

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much... I'll pass the info along.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results