shape
carat
color
clarity

Colombian Emerald?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! Me again.
I love love love love this:
http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=11&idproduct=2214

and now I''m confused about my e-ring. Should I get a pad or one of these? I know even less about Colombian emeralds but if they really look like this it''s going to be a tough decision. I''m driving my man crazy.
Help?
33.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the degree of treatment on this stone? You have to be very careful about treatment on emeralds. I would never buy an emerald without an AGTA lab report that states the degree of treatment.

Good luck finding a nicely cut and good quality sizable natural padparadscha with a vibrant and delicate orange/pink hue. It''s probably not going to happen unless you have a lot more $$, or you go with a low heated stone. Beware of synthetic padparadschas and ones that are beryllium diffused. Be diffused padparadschas are heated as well, but some dealers will leave out the "beryllium" part and simply telling you that it''s heated (low heat is more of an acceptable treatment. be-heating is akin to dying the stone).

At least emeralds, as beryls, are much less dense than padparadschas, so a one carat emerald will be the size of a two carat padparadscha. However, 99% of all emeralds are filled to hide cracks. Some are just filled with cedar oil which is an accepted practice in the trade, and some are filled with resins, some colored. You can take a very cloudy ugly emerald and make it look gorgeous after treating with fillers.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your reply.
I sent an e-mail enquiring about the stone, even though I could never afford one of this price.
What is the general pricing on these emeralds? Are they different in some way, compared to other emeralds? Are they hard enough to be worn every day?
I would definitely get a AGTA report on it if I went with something like this.
I really like the colour, but I''m not sure if that''s just the photo and if it would be a more average green in real life... Like I said, this is uncharted territory for me.

I love pads but I have noticed recently that all the good ones are sold.
7.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2009 10:14:26 AM
Author: kribbie
Thanks for your reply.
I sent an e-mail enquiring about the stone, even though I could never afford one of this price.
What is the general pricing on these emeralds? Are they different in some way, compared to other emeralds? Are they hard enough to be worn every day?
I would definitely get a AGTA report on it if I went with something like this.
I really like the colour, but I''m not sure if that''s just the photo and if it would be a more average green in real life... Like I said, this is uncharted territory for me.

I love pads but I have noticed recently that all the good ones are sold.
7.gif
Emeralds are hard but brittle due to the fact that they have numerous cracks and inclusions. The cleaner the stone (without fillers), the more durable it would be. I don''t recommend emeralds as e-rings.

Emeralds are priced for the following aspects
Degree of transparency
Degree of treatment
Origin (Columbian stones have a slight premium, but a fine emerald from anywhere is expensive)
Depth of green (the deeper the green, the better)
Unwanted secondary modifiers. A blue modifier is more valuable than a yellow one.

Here is a gorgeous Afghani emerald with supposedly minor treatment, but I don''t know how little or how much. It has an AGL report, so that''s good. AGL is another highly reputable lab. http://www.litnon.com/viewgem.php?gemid=209&id=705

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Wow that is gorgeous! Thank you so much for your help!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You''re very welcome. I like to show people top gem pieces so they have an idea of what to look for in their price range and for the quality. As you can see, there is a great deal of variance in the grades of emerald after looking at that picture.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results