shape
carat
color
clarity

Collet setting

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
Hello PSers, I need your kind help and advice! I am considering collet setting (as shown in picture below) on an oec. I have been admiring this setting and would like to make one with an open back (I've heard this is possible but please correct me if I am wrong). My concern is how this setting will impact the light performance of the oec. I assume that, due to the coverage of the setting, it might not allow enough light to go through the diamond and give the best light refraction comparing to a modern 4 or 6 prone setting. I haven't have a chance to see a diamond in such a setting in person yet. Could you please advice if I should choose collet setting or a normal 6- prone if the light performance of the oec is the priority?

Thanks a lot for your help!

1695700230647.png

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a profile picture to see what it looks like from the side? I am not familiar with that setting. Nor am I an OEC expert, but they sure are pretty.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Typically reproduction collet settings are NOT going to bezel the girdle. They will hardly be any different from a traditional 6-8 prong stone with a basket. You should not notice a difference in light return after setting.

You can see the stone is held by the prongs themselves with the metal sitting under- rather than bezeling the girdle. Even a bezel is a negligible effect on a well cut modern round, but a modern stone can vary in how much the performance is affected- particularly fancy cuts.
C563BC69-E867-4C17-B57C-C31031ACB3B5.jpeg

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
What is the color of the OEC? I wonder if a faux collet works like faux bezel.

It’s my observation that a faux bezel can make the facet pattern more pronounced. However, some of the tint can get trapped.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
@Gussie has a gorgeous collette setting and can probably weigh in on the light performance in everyday life. Based on the pictures it glows beautifully!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Typically reproduction collet settings are NOT going to bezel the girdle. They will hardly be any different from a traditional 6-8 prong stone with a basket. You should not notice a difference in light return after setting.

You can see the stone is held by the prongs themselves with the metal sitting under- rather than bezeling the girdle. Even a bezel is a negligible effect on a well cut modern round, but a modern stone can vary in how much the performance is affected- particularly fancy cuts.
C563BC69-E867-4C17-B57C-C31031ACB3B5.jpeg

It sure looks like light would get in the side okay. IMO, it would be gorgeous.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
@SparklieBug. Yes but I haven't received it yet. Hopefully next month I can hear back. Happy new year :razz:

Happy new year for you, as well. It will be a very happy new year with a new sparklie bauble! :D

What will the back be like, open or closed? I’m excited to see it!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Happy new year for you, as well. It will be a very happy new year with a new sparklie bauble! :D

What will the back be like, open or closed? I’m excited to see it!

Yes, enquiring minds want to know!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results