shape
carat
color
clarity

College ring not the same size

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Number6

Rough_Rock
Hello all! I got my e-ring from Whiteflash and everything from Whiteflash's end went *really* well and I was very pleased with my purchase. (See the ring here if you are interested. Stats and pics included.)

However there was a sizing problem. (Not whiteflash's fault)

My fiance has a college ring from Josten's, a signet style from U of Michigan. It was a size 4, and she has never had it resized or altered in any way since the day she got it.

It turns out that a Josten's size 4 is not the same as a size 4 from a professonial jeweler. We had to get the whiteflash ring changed to a 4.5 to be the same size as the Josten's size 4 ring that she used to wear.

Now they are the same size, the Josten's 4 and the whiteflash 4.5.

I guess it goes to show you, always bring a ring to the store to get put on a sizer or get her hand fitted! Never trust the sizes on an old sales slip!

BTW, special thanks to user Magnum, who suggested the diamond I actually purchased. (Link here to the original thread.)

Also I'd like to publically say that Chris D. at Dave Atlas did a very professional job on the appraisal and I was just delighted with the entire transaction.

Everyone at WF was also great. I would use them again in a heartbeat.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ring size tools are not all identically calibrated. Many places use tools that have worn down or were never the right size to begin with. There are very precise diameter measurements corresponding to each finger size, but not every place adheres properly to these standards.

The width of each ring has a material effect on how it will fit. Wide rings require a larger finger size to fit a finger than a narrow ring would require. A school ring makes a very poor tool for judging an engagement ring size. There is a substantial width difference.

I would venture that if a school ring fits a finger that an engagement ring fits, that the school ring a is actually a 1/2 to 1 size LARGER, not smaller. Memories of finger sizes can be dangerous to use in sizing an important ring. It is always best to get a similar ring gauged, or to go soemwhere to have a finger sized by a jeweler.

We are pleased that Chris did a good job for you, too.

andrewk

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 9/12/2004 8:13:36 AM oldminer wrote:

A school ring makes a very poor tool for judging an engagement ring size. There is a substantial width difference----------------

Yikes! This makes me wonder if I should be worried? I brought in my GF's school ring into my jeweler and he slipped it onto a sizing tool to measure the size. Is this a valid approach to determine the size? The e-ring arrives from the designer on Friday and having read this post I'm worried that it won't fit.

-andrewk

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
----------------[/quote]

Yikes! This makes me wonder if I should be worried? I brought in my GF's school ring into my jeweler and he slipped it onto a sizing tool to measure the size. Is this a valid approach to determine the size? The e-ring arrives from the designer on Friday and having read this post I'm worried that it won't fit.

-andrewk
----------------[/quote]

As long as the school ring *currently* fits her finger you need not worry - so long as your jeweler's sizing tool corresponds to what he'll be making for you.

Example: Her school ring is a 4 according to Company X, but on his sizing tool it is a 3.5... There will be no problem as long as he makes it correspond to HIS tool's 3.5 measurement. You may want to check, as Dave mentioned, and make sure his tool is not worn or inaccurate.

andrewk

Rough_Rock
JohnQ,
I know the ring does fit her...I feel better. Much obliged for the answer.
-andrewk

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results