shape
carat
color
clarity

Collaboration with like-minded sites

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
This is perhaps the more controversial of my suggestions.

I would like to see a collaboration between Pricescope and Gemologyonline. I''m looking at this purely from a collector of gemstone''s point of view. Buying gemstones can be a path fraught with danger. There are so many fakes, and treatments out there in today''s gemstones. Some treatments are accepted and others are not. The number of dishonest charlatans out there just itching to take money from newbies is scary.

Gemologyonline is not really a consumer site. For the most part it''s members are professionals who are in one way or another connected to the trades that surround gemstones. It is hugely informative and I have learned so much from reading threads over there.

Given that the objective of PS is to educate the consumer, I cannot see a downside to such a relationship existing between the two sites. In my view they are synergistic as far as coloured stones go.

I''d like to offer a couple of examples of why being allowed to talk about GO would be informative and educational. Firstly, a while ago a new poster came to PS looking for advice on how to market his opals (that he had mined and polished). In the interests of helping that poster, it would have been appropriate to suggest to him that he visit the GO site, where like-minded people frequent.

Secondly, I recently purchased some morganite pears. I was not aware of any treatments that morganite receives to enhance it. Turns out there is some dubious treatments going on and I learned about it from reading a series of posts by professionals on GO. Today, a new poster on Coloured Stones was making enquiries about morganite. I should have like to have been able to alert her to some of the dangers of purchasing morganite. As the policies stand at the moment I am not able to direct her to the GO thread.

I don''t know the reasons for eliciting a ban on talking about such sites. It''s not my business and policy is policy. I can see where it makes sense when it comes to other public forums such as DiamondTalk and DiamondBistro who would appear to be in direct competition with PS, but I can''t help thinking that in the interests of furthering the consumer''s education that a relationship between Pricescope and Gemologyonline could only be a good thing.

Lastly, Gemologyonline does not hold the same position as Pricescope. They are happy for their members to mention Pricescope, and from time to time people do talk about PS. I am thankful that they do. Had it not been for GO, I would not have learned about the existence of Pricescope.

Please don''t send me into oblivion!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I have a suggestion that piggybacks Gailey''s suggestion.

At present it is against policy to refer people to other jewelry websites that may be more directed to their interest. I understand the reason behind the current philosophy. Pricescope''s intent is to not endorse any vendor''s product.

But I see a place to offer information or services (not offered at Pricescope) that may be available on other sites, such as Gailey''s suggestion of Gemologyonline, or sites where individuals may sell items, like DiamondBistro.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto on your suggestion, Gailey!

I find PS is a great place for consumers to get educated about diamond purchases, no other site beats that! But as for colored stones, PS do have some prosumers to give advices but they do not have enough knowledge themselves. As Gailey stated GO is a very informative site where I can read up more about colored stones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results