shape
carat
color
clarity

Coating gold ring in Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JPerry

Rough_Rock
I have had my 14k gold diamond engagement ring for 6 years and recently decided I may want to have it coated in Platinum. I have changed to mostly silver jewelery in recent years and I know platinum has a reputation of being very durable. I have no idea if this is a good idea or if it can even be done. I also wonder how shiny platimun would be or if a sterling silver plating may be better. PLEASE HELP!
33.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You would have it rhodium plated and you''d just have to replate it whenever the yellow starts showing through, This is how they make white gold white, too. I''ve heard quotes from $20 to $50 to have a ring rhodium plated, so it will pay to get several quotes from good quality jewelers before you have it done!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I had an 18k yellow gold rhr that I went and had rhodium plated to look like white gold. I do not wear it every day, so I can''t tell you how well it has held up. I was told you have to have them replated every 2 yrs or so. I was also told that if I changed my mind back to the yellow gold, they could sand the plating off. If money (or sentiment) has you wanting to keep the same ering, then maybe you would like the plating. It looked pretty good on my ring. Personally, I changed to solid platinum a few years ago when I decided to go with white metals (like you, I have primarily silver and white gold earrings.). I googled rhodium plating and it appears that they can layer palladium (in the plat family) and then rhodium, and make it very durable, should you decide to electroplate. I''m sure some people here who are pros can answer this better than I have...

JPerry

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies, I really dont know much about this so any advice I can get is much appreciated. I think I''ll do some research on this. Thanks Again! ps is that a chihuahua? very cute

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results