shape
carat
color
clarity

Coated topaz?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

leah19shahan

Rough_Rock
I recently purchase a blue topaz ring off of the internet and it says that it is a "coated" blue topaz. What does that mean? Is the coloring going to come off easily? Do I have to use extra caution with it. Please help me, I''m clueless.
33.gif

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
It''s an electro-coated layer on a colorless stone which is usually a white topaz to make it blue. keep in mind you can''t recut the stone if you choose to do so it will lose it''s color

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
It should be okay under most conditions. The thing to remember, as AmGuy mentions, is that the color arises from a thin coating on the stone. This won''t make much of a difference unless you chip it, scrape it, or repolish it.

Otherwise you''re fine. Some of the coated stones can be spectacular in appearance, and of course you''re usually getting them for a bargain compared to non-coated stones.

If you like it, I wouldn''t worry about it. If the thought of having a treated stone bothers you, and you''re within your "return window", then return it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As mentioned above, as long as it is not recut, chipped or scraped, the thin coating of colour should hold up well.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I heard that these stones are pretty popular and well recieved..it''s better than getting radiation poisoning...if you know what I mean london blue
2.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2009 12:11:10 AM
Author: amethystguy
I heard that these stones are pretty popular and well recieved..it''s better than getting radiation poisoning...if you know what I mean london blue
2.gif
I almost died when I read that - too funny!!

White or clear topaz is coated with a myriad of colors these days, red, blue, green, rainbow, you name it, they''ll coat it. Sounds like a fun stone, I assume it wasn''t very expensive.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AM,
Let’s not scare the poor lady. LOL! I believe that the radiation should have already been dispersed by the time it is ready for setting and sale. However, just the thought of a gem being nuked is enough to dissuade me off it as well despite all the assurances of knowledgeable folks.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2009 8:47:47 AM
Author: Chrono
AM,
Let’s not scare the poor lady. LOL! I believe that the radiation should have already been dispersed by the time it is ready for setting and sale. However, just the thought of a gem being nuked is enough to dissuade me off it as well despite all the assurances of knowledgeable folks.
It''s probably safe, but here''s an article from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission as an FYI

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/gen-comm/info-notices/1990/in90062.html

As a result, all importated irradiated gems, including blue topaz, must be tested before entering the United States. I''m not sure of the testing standards for other countries.

leah19shahan

Rough_Rock
Thanks for much for all the info! I did read about the radiation thing. It being coated does not bother me at all. It''s a beautiful ring, and yes it was really inexpensive. I just didn''t want to wash my hands with it on, and the blue come off. I''m very easy with all my rings, so I know I won''t be banging it off of everything! Once again thanks for being so helpful! I can''t wait to get it in the mail!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I heard they are wonderful stones. I am glad you got it. please post pics when you recieve

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results