shape
carat
color
clarity

Clueless dude here, need help finding a diamond ring!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking at some of the photos posted by reviewers, I have to say, they look pretty dire.

IF you had bothered to read my post properly @Ss52, you would have seen that I was referring to photos posted by people who had bought the ring.

At no time did I mention that any of the very helpful suggestions posted by others were dire!

Perhaps instead of posting snarky comments, you should read others posts before commenting.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The “dire” poster may have meant the Zales stones? As he/she was commenting on “reviewers”, Maybe?
that's how I read it.

newringguy

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the responses! I know Zales is probably offering a terrible diamond, but they seem to have a somewhat reasonable return policy. Would it not be possible to just keep exchanging until I end up with a diamond I am at least comfortable with?

I really appreciate all the responses, but I'm really just looking for the best possible round diamond .8-1ct for around that price range. I'm not really interested in fake diamonds/anything different or smaller (sorry I'm stubborn and will probably learn from this purchase).

I'm now looking at the site Sledge suggested (idjewelry.com) and there appears to be a lot of diamonds within that price range (even if they suck). Am I missing something if I ask for some pictures of the diamonds from there and they appear to be decent? Also, is this site reputable etc?

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate it even though I'm hard to persuade elsewhere!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for the responses! I know Zales is probably offering a terrible diamond, but they seem to have a somewhat reasonable return policy. Would it not be possible to just keep exchanging until I end up with a diamond I am at least comfortable with?

I really appreciate all the responses, but I'm really just looking for the best possible round diamond .8-1ct for around that price range. I'm not really interested in fake diamonds/anything different or smaller (sorry I'm stubborn and will probably learn from this purchase).

I'm now looking at the site Sledge suggested (idjewelry.com) and there appears to be a lot of diamonds within that price range (even if they suck). Am I missing something if I ask for some pictures of the diamonds from there and they appear to be decent? Also, is this site reputable etc?

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate it even though I'm hard to persuade elsewhere!

Yes, IDJ is a trusted vendor on this site and has helped many. They will provide you a level of service you simply won't find at Zale's, let alone many independent local jewelers. Make sure you ask for Yeukitel. He is the manager, familiar with PS and will guide you properly.

Also, not sure if anyone has explained some of this stuff to you, so I will take a stab real quick:

1. There are 5 C's to diamond buying -- carat size, color, clarity, cut & cost. Yup, cost. Many people forget that element, but it's very important.

2. The above in mind, buying diamonds is a zero sum game, meaning if your budget/cost is fixed then you must adjust up/down the other C's (according to your own preferences & priority) to make it all equal out. For instance, you've stated 0.8 to 1.0ct is a must have. That means you will have to sacrifice color & clarity to get there.

3. Many diamonds are certified. Preferred and trusted labs include GIA and AGS. Other less reputable and not as trustworthy labs include IGI, EGL, etc. For clarification, I am talking US based labs. Things change slightly if you are an international buyer. The fear with IGI, EGL, etc is they say it's X but it's constantly been proven again and again that it's actually Y. So someone buys what they believe is a J colored stone, but in reality it's an L/M. There was actually another post here today about that (EGL certified K, but came back as GIA M). Mall jewelers like Zale's do this because it's a bulk process that is cheaper & easier, plus if they get a cert back for better qualities they can sell a lesser quality stone for a higher price.

Good for them, but bad for the consumer as you don't really know what you are buying. The whole point of a certification is to provide reassurance. If you have a cert that isn't reliable, then it offers no reassurance that what you are paying is fairly priced as you don't really know what you are buying.

4. While there is more to it than just math & angles, a good chunk of finding a well cut stone is knowing the right proportions to choose. Here's a set of guidelines:
  • 54-57 table
  • 60-62.4 depth (prefer <62)
  • 34-35 crown (maybe 35.5, with a 40.6 pavilion)
  • 40.6-40.9 pavilion (maybe 41, with a 34 crown)
  • 75-80 lower girdle facets (aka LGF's)(many prefer 75)
  • Crown and pavilion need to have an inverse relationship. So steep crown/shallow pavilion, or vice versa. Popular combos that work well are 35/40.6, 34/40.9, 34.5/40.7, 34.5/40.8, etc.
There's so much more to know, but this is like a 5 minute tutorial. Ask questions if you don't understand any of it and myself or others will explain in more detail.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It really won't be possible to exchange until you find a good stone at Zales, bc they just don't sell good stones. ID jewelry is highly reputable, and the best way to get in touch is via phone. They don't have all the stones on the website, and yeukitiel (spelling) is a wizard with budget. I promise you 10000% that anything you get from them will be superior to Zales.

cj2be

Shiny_Rock
Honestly, if my fiancé proposed to me with a diamond from Zales, I’d have felt very insulted. She might not say yes if you get that ring. Just something to keep in mind.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I would not have been so rude as to decline a ring that my fiance chose for me.

That being said, are you ABSOLUTELY sure that size is the most important thing to her? you must be ABSOLUTELY sure if you make a move like this because the stone you get in that size is going to have visible tint, visible inclusions, or both. Please do remember that she is the one who has to wear it/show it when asked. Make sure you are aligning with what she values and not what you value.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP- not only will the diamond from Zales be bad, the setting will be poorly made. Yes, they may provide a warranty, but do you really want to have the ring away being fixed every couple months? Plus, if there are huge issues with your ring, their customer service isn’t great. Please google Zales reviews.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd rather you go to IDJewelry and get an uncerted stone than Zales. At least Yuketiel will look out for you. Tell him you talked to Pricescopers
and we sent you there. Hopefully he can find you something nice in your price range.

You should learn to be less stubborn...that advice will take you far in a marriage!:lol:

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock

Admitting to being stubborn and declining the wise advice of many jewelry experts isn’t a smart play here. I really hope you can move beyond your preconceived notions and listen to these folks when they tell you to run far, far away from that Zales ring. Your fiancé deserves better, and bigger isn’t always better.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should learn to be less stubborn...that advice will take you far in a marriage!:lol:

Haha, you sound like my fiancee. This is a lyric she sings to me frequently, lol. Not sure I'm wise but I love her enough that I'm okay with letting her be right even when she's not. Shhhhhh, dont tell her I said that. :lol:

After every fight
Just apologize
And maybe then I'll let you try and rock my body right
Even if I was wrong
You know I'm never wrong
Why disagree?
Why, why disagree?

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have first hand experience with a Zales ring. This was before PS and it was dull and lifeless. I’m saying WAS because I don’t have the ring anymore. I don’t post too much but I read a lot on here. The knowledge of many of these wonderful people is very valuable. I would take a well cut .50 carat diamond over a 1ct Zales diamond any day. You can get a very nice diamond in your price range. It won’t be .80 but it will perform 100 times better than a .80 diamond. I understand budget. Stay within the budget and get a quality stone that you can afford.

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OP!

I was proposed to with a Zales octillion in 2004 and I was not offended! :???:

I have, however, over the years come to realize that my husband got totally hosed when he bought my engagement ring. He paid $3,000 for a .55ish (I think it was a G/SI1). I wouldn’t call it a “ball of spit” but it put out a lot of white light and not much of the fire (rainbow colors) that diamonds are known for.

I would either go to IDjewelry or go with a smaller diamond that your fiancée could upgrade down the road (Whiteflash and High Performance Diamonds have 100% trade ups—meaning 100% of your purchase can be used to trade-up to any diamond). I’ve purchased from IDjewelry and Whiteflash and am very happy with the quality I received.

I think if you’re set on the size, you would do well to follow sledge’s advice and go to ID.

Good luck and please come back with pictures when you receive the ring!! What an exciting time for you!

Ss52

Shiny_Rock
IF you had bothered to read my post properly @Ss52, you would have seen that I was referring to photos posted by people who had bought the ring.

At no time did I mention that any of the very helpful suggestions posted by others were dire!

Perhaps instead of posting snarky comments, you should read others posts before commenting.

Austina, I did read your message, several times, even looked for what you thought was dire. I just didn’t understand you meant Zale’s reviewers. Had that been clear, I’d never have said a word. Mea culpa.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@newringguy I think you’ve gotten plenty of advice suggesting you avoid the Zales diamond, and for good reason.

The Zales diamond you were considering was noted to be a J color. Assuming that was a non-GIA/AGS graded diamond, it’s likely to be at least one or more color grades lower than that. That said, I assume you/your intended would be okay with an actual J color diamond? (I don’t mean that snarky; I have a K myself and LOVE it). If so, here’s a great looking J-color, VS2 diamond from Whiteflash: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4089733.htm

This diamond is a smidge over $1500 via wire payment. It’s an ACA - A Cut Above - so a super-ideal cut diamond that will out-perform, out-sparkle, out-fire anything Zales has to show you. It’s just over a half carat, but it will knock her socks off. And WF has an outstanding upgrade policy so that - down the road at some point - if you want to upgrade, you can trade it in toward another WF diamond that is just $1 more than you paid (not twice original purchase price like many places). Not all upgrade policies are the same, so be sure to compare the finer details of each you might be considering.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG PLEASE call Yekuteil at IDJewelry and do not purchase from Zales- your future fiancee will thank you.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, do you happen to know her finger size??

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think also a better cut stone can appear bigger than a bigger carat poorly cut stone?
Yes!

If a stone is cut well, it will be bright and sparkly from edge-to-edge.

If a stone is cut badly, the edges will be dark and the area reflecting light will be much smaller, which will make the stone look much smaller, especially in darker environments.

There is a video demonstrating it somewhere on here (I think Garry H or Wink posted it?) that really shows the difference.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a video demonstrating it somewhere on here (I think Garry H or Wink posted it?) that really shows the difference.

Yeah, I was trying to find that video too. The video I am thinking of is very enlightening as it shows both the ideal and poorly cut stone in normal jewelry lighting. The larger stone looks, well larger, in that condition. But when you block from the over powered jewelers light, the larger stone "magically" shrinks and looks smaller than the stone with less carat weight.

This is why it's important for a buyer to examine the stone AWAY from the jewelers lighting. They spend good money providing the best light so that all their diamonds look magnificent. But when they get put in ordinary lighting conditions (90%+ of the time) then the "stud" looks like a dud.

The philosophy is really simple. With an ideal cut stone, all the angles are exactly perfect so light comes in, bounces around and exits the top of the diamond. Doing so provides edge-to-edge brightness, even in poorly lit conditions. In contrast, a poorly cut stone will lack the correct angles for light to enter and find it's path back towards the top; therefore, escaping on the sides and/or bottom of the diamond. As such, the edges of the diamond do not show light and the diamond looks smaller because light is leaking out of it.

DISCOVER-4Cs-Cut-1.png

In regards to IDJ, I was searching through their stones. Here are a few that caught my eye that have potential. Again, ask Yeukitel for more information. But it's a starting point.

0.81 K SI1 @ $1,872 wire
https://idjewelry.com/round-ir31437.html

57 table, 62.2 depth, 36 crown, 40.6 pavilion & 80 LGF. Scores 1.9 on HCA with excellent on fire, and very good on all other criteria. ;)2

Point blank, I'd want the crown to be 35.5 or less and really prefer 35. However, there are cases where a 36/40.6 works. For your budget, this may be one of those times it makes sense to consider it. The steep 36 crown will yield lots of fire (which is being picked up in the HCA results) and the shallow 40.6 pavilion is very complimentary. My fear is you may get some obstruction from the 36 crown. Still, it's a FAR cry better than the stone you will get from Zales.

Also, important to note here is the dimensions of the stone -- 5.93 x 5.96mm. Why? Because people get hung up on carat weight, when in reality it's the wrong thing to focus on. The proportions (table, depth, crown, pavilion, etc) of the stone will alter the stones physical dimensions. Depending on the exact proportions of the stone in question, it's quite possible to get a stone with less carat weight that has larger measurements than a stone of higher carat weight.

0.81 K SI1 @ $1,646 wire
https://idjewelry.com/round-mc1828110.html

57 table, 62.4 depth, 36 crown, 40.6 pavilion & 80 LGF. Measures 5.93 x 5.97. Scores 1.9 on HCA with excellent on fire, and very good on all other criteria.

Near identical specs as the above stone. The main difference being this stone has very strong blue fluorescence, whereas the other stone has faint. Assuming the fluor doesn't negatively effect (cloudy/hazy) the stone then it helps lower your cost. Also, there might be minimal effects on color as the fluor will emit blue when activated (under UV lights) and counter balance the yellow tint in the stone so it helps whiten it by a very small margin. I don't get overly excited by this because first you need UV lighting for it to happen, and second it's by a very minimal amount. What I like the most is it saves you a few hundred bucks on a tight budget (again, assuming there are no ill effects from the fluor).

0.75 G VS1 @ $1,844 wire
https://idjewelry.com/round-dmrb070-0383.html

54 table & 62.4 depth. Measures 5.81 x 5.82. Can't determine HCA w/o the crown & pavilion.

This certificate isn't available online, so you need to have Yeukitel pull for you. I freakin' love the 54 table. Depth is acceptable. Really depends on the crown/pavilion angle combo. If it's in the acceptable range I'm all over this stone. First, small tables = big fire! Second, you get G color and VS1 clarity!!

The weight is a little less than you desire, but again -- focus on measurements. That's only 0.10mm from the 0.81ct stones above. That is literally 1/256th inch, and NOT something detectable, memorable or meaningful to the naked eye. The cut, color and clarity are much more impactful in this particular case which is why I'm posting for you.

0.76 J VVS1 @ $ 1,908 wire
https://idjewelry.com/round-mcrtd0097.html

56 table, 61.7 depth, 35.5 crown, 40.6 pavilion & 80 LGF. Measures 5.84 x 5.86. Scores 1.3 on the HCA and gets excellent in fire, scintillation & light return!

The VVS1 clarity is overkill for a stone this size, but it's a nice perk. The proportions are extremely promising and ones I think could be a real sparkle bomb. The stone does have strong fluor, but again, I think that's helpful in your scenario assuming it's not hazy, etc.

0.73 K SI1 @ $ 1,522 wire
https://idjewelry.com/round-ailg190307.html

55 table, 62.4 depth, 34.5 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 80 LGF. Measures 5.75 x 5.78. This baby scores 1.4 on the HCA, and gets excellent in fire, scintillation & light return.

Complete :silenced:'n sparkle bomb! Those proportions are gorgeous! If you are okay with K color and the stone is eye clean then I'm all over this. Killer cut, acceptable color if you are considering J stones and priced right! Plus faint fluor so that's a non-issue.

0.72 F SI1 @ $1,602 wire
https://idjewelry.com/round-dmrb070-0319.html

57 table & 62.10 depth. Measures 5.73 x 5.75. Again, HCA is not available as you need crown/pavilion angle combo.

This stone is promising. I listed because of price and you get a freakin' F color stone! Obviously, the crown/pavilion angle makes all the difference in the world, but it's worth asking about. No cert is available online, so you need to ask Yeukitel about this directly.

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
Have you considered lightbox jewellery, you could some thing in your budget, even if it is a man made diamond...it's still very much a diamond...
lightboxjewelry.com

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's true that a small very well cut diamond will appear bigger than a poorly cut diamond. I had a 1/2 carat diamond ring and someone after complimenting it asked if it was a carat! I briefly had a .7 carat CBI (super ideal cut) diamond and when I showed it to my mil at the time, by her comments she judged it as being too large and showy. So yeah a .7 ideal cut stone will kick the ass of that 1 carat Zales diamond.
If you honestly can't swing paying a little more to get something reasonable, I would a) see if you have a family diamond, get a gemstone ring, or simply get a simulant to get the look you desire. because 1.5K and nice looking 1 carat diamonds don't overlap in this universe's venn diagram.

Also realize that zales I clarity diamond if you buy it, has basically 0 resale value. While ideal cut diamonds do have resale value, and depending on where you buy it, have upgrade and even buy back policies.

Last edited:

Jacquiemalta

Rough_Rock

So what you really wanted was for people to say, Yes that's a great ring, buy it?

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
@newringguy ... gotta say I’m just shaking my head here in disbelief.

I hope you’re not like this in the rest of your life because you’re going to miss out on an awful lot.

Oh well! We tried.

It’s funny because we get such a kick out of helping someone new find a beautiful, beautiful diamond within their budge. I can’t tell you how many times someone else’s happiness here has made me feel happy - just from watching their journey from say, almost buying at Zales but ending up with a super-ideal.

But this journey of yours just makes me feel sad.

I do wish you all the best though!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results