shape
carat
color
clarity

Clueless dude here, need help finding a diamond ring!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
OP, You have gotten really really great advice on here and links of rings that I personally would be proud to wear that are also well within your budget. Sadly, it sounds like you were never actually open to being educated nor guided in this large purchase but just wanted someone, anyone, to agree with you and qualm your worry of getting a Zales diamond.

Being stubborn is only a virtue when you've truly educated yourself on the subject. Sticking to your guns without reason is just plain lunacy.

Im hoping you come to your senses, but hey if your fiance truly doesnt mind at all what her ring will look like and only wants to be able to say "Its a 1ct diamond" ....by all means...:wall:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. if you get her the Zales ring it's like look honey I did the bare minimum of what you asked. Honestly it seems almost passive agressive (I have to buy a ring so this is what I'm going to do). It's not precious, it's not beautiful, but she can tell people its a diamond and 1 carat, that's all. It's the kind of ring that gets put in a drawer after awhile.

Look at this 2200 but a 1.32 carat diamond. Not the best cut but you know what you are getting and I guarantee all the specs will be better than what you will get at zales
https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...-si3-egl-certified-diamond-platinum-solitaire
In your price range I would get a precious gemstone ring with diamond accents. It would be durable and fine jewelry.
https://loupetroop.com/listings/bands/platinum-sapphire-diamond-ring
https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...que-inspired-14k-white-gold-ring-size-8-dot-5

there's also costco. Though you don't know what the cut quality is, but decent color and great clarity. 3K for a .7 carat in platinum. It will actually be pretty to look at!
https://www.costco.com/Round-Brilliant-0.70-ct-VS2-Clarity,-I-Color-Diamond-Solitaire-Ring.product.100143097.html

Last edited:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sorry the first ring is 3200 not 2200

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I bet the only time they actually sell those $1,999 rings is online when people haven’t seen them. The rest of the time it’s a gimmick to get people into the store. Most of them will probably walk out with the $3,999 ring or better ... even under store lights I’m sure anything looks much better than the $1,999.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
As the title states, I'm a pretty clueless dude here completely new to diamond shopping.

I am looking to propose within the next couple months and to be honest didn't think diamonds were hard to shop for. I've done a lot of research over the past few days, and boy, was I wrong.

I'm looking for a diamond preferably larger than .8 of a carat (would prefer around 1). Hopefully if I'm lucky, one that isn't yellow or super cloudy. Over the past few days I've been searching sites (retail stores, Bluenile, James Allen, Brilliance, B2C) and to be honest I just think it would be better asking experienced people for help. (Early easter egg hunt anyone ;-))

I'm leaning towards this from Zales: https://www.zales.com/1-ct-diamond-solitaire-engagement-ring-14k-white-gold/p/V-19416460

Some of the reviews obviously don't look too great, but I'm finding it hard to find something even close to comparable. My budget is probably around $1500, that ring ends up being around $1300 after discount codes etc... I'm aware that I can probably purchase a very similar ring from Wal-Mart or elsewhere for a bit cheaper, but I'm wanting to stick to an actual Jewelry store. Let's be real, who wants to be proposed to with a ring from Wal-Mart?

I've looked into price-matching a diamond at Bluenile and James Allen, but couldn't really get anything to work out close to that. Both have also the option to send in loose diamonds to be put on their settings. Because of this I actually looked at some diamonds on eBay (but they seemed way too good to be true with some $500 or less for 1ct).

I know I can obviously just go to a lower carat and probably should for this budget, but I would prefer not to! I've been saying this to the Bluenile and James Allen reps for days. I would much rather purchase the 1ct one above from Zales, than go down to one say .60ct.

Basically, any suggestions or ideas are welcomed. Just looking to find a somewhat decent diamond at around a carat, without spending a fortune!
Hi. Good for you for reaching out!! It’s such an intimidating and expensive process and one that you want to be so special! I consigned w Jewels by Grace and people offer less than the listed price all day long (I sold my ring for less than listing). So it doesn’t hurt to tell her your all in budget. I bet she can help. I bout a .60 ORC H/SI1 completely clean stone last year for 1200. She can do a simple bezel setting for not very much. look at these and call her if you have not found anything. She will make sure you get something special and beautiful and in your price. Also - perhaps Adam at Old world Diamonds. He’s the best!! So patient. Kind and respectful of your budget and has a million stones they own. See below a few from Grace.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
7E28224B-5577-4416-A9FA-58F6900C2A0A.png

Attachments

• 9DC43431-3048-46BC-918F-B16DAFF809D7.png
    9DC43431-3048-46BC-918F-B16DAFF809D7.png
    566.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 4A630AD6-EF9D-4B87-8570-457433F7D038.png
    4A630AD6-EF9D-4B87-8570-457433F7D038.png
    556.5 KB · Views: 22

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think old cuts are beautiful but unless his intended likes and is interested in old cuts, she might be confused if she was expecting a round brilliant. Just a different look.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
As the title states, I'm a pretty clueless dude here completely new to diamond shopping.

I am looking to propose within the next couple months and to be honest didn't think diamonds were hard to shop for. I've done a lot of research over the past few days, and boy, was I wrong.

I'm looking for a diamond preferably larger than .8 of a carat (would prefer around 1). Hopefully if I'm lucky, one that isn't yellow or super cloudy. Over the past few days I've been searching sites (retail stores, Bluenile, James Allen, Brilliance, B2C) and to be honest I just think it would be better asking experienced people for help. (Early easter egg hunt anyone ;-))

I'm leaning towards this from Zales: https://www.zales.com/1-ct-diamond-solitaire-engagement-ring-14k-white-gold/p/V-19416460

Some of the reviews obviously don't look too great, but I'm finding it hard to find something even close to comparable. My budget is probably around $1500, that ring ends up being around $1300 after discount codes etc... I'm aware that I can probably purchase a very similar ring from Wal-Mart or elsewhere for a bit cheaper, but I'm wanting to stick to an actual Jewelry store. Let's be real, who wants to be proposed to with a ring from Wal-Mart?

I've looked into price-matching a diamond at Bluenile and James Allen, but couldn't really get anything to work out close to that. Both have also the option to send in loose diamonds to be put on their settings. Because of this I actually looked at some diamonds on eBay (but they seemed way too good to be true with some $500 or less for 1ct).

I know I can obviously just go to a lower carat and probably should for this budget, but I would prefer not to! I've been saying this to the Bluenile and James Allen reps for days. I would much rather purchase the 1ct one above from Zales, than go down to one say .60ct.

Basically, any suggestions or ideas are welcomed. Just looking to find a somewhat decent diamond at around a carat, without spending a fortune!

@newringguy hi. I just saw this on Insta and thought if you. Maybe she’ll take a few hundred less? Look at top of the post for her Instagram Name God Luck.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results