shape
carat
color
clarity

Cloudy Diamond

Tuxtax

Rough_Rock
I am looking at a diamond that is VVS2, H color, 1.71 carat, Excellent Cut.

In the additional comments section it says "additional pinpoints and clouds".

Can those additional pin points and clouds cause the diamond to be cloudy even in a VVS2 clarity grade?

And do pinpoints in the pavilion area cause a hall of mirrors effect in a VVS2 clarity grade?

I attached the GIA report.

Thanks

Attachments

• document(2).pdf
    1 MB · Views: 34

parsonsjnyc

Rough_Rock
Hi Tuxtax,

I am interested in the responses to your post as well. I am waiting to receive a VVS2 where clouds and pinpoints are mentioned in the comments. My understanding is that these inclusions are so minuscule that it is an effort to find them under 10x magnification. I have an appointment to have my diamond appraised so will know after that appointment the truth for my diamond.

Crossing my fingers that what I heard about VVS2s and clouds is true!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've never seen a properly graded VVS diamond with a transparency issue.

Clouds are areas of microscopic pinpoints. If they are small enough to allow for a VVS clarity grade, they are so small that they are inconsequential from a visual or performance perspective.

It's important to understand that not all features are necessarily plotted. Only those necessary to identify the diamond and support its clarity grade. It is very common to see statements under comments regarding additional features. This is mainly so a gemologist will not be thrown off by a diamond with features that do not match the plot.

In the lower clarities, transparency can be an issue and Keys and Comments need to be read carefully to understand if this is a potential issue. But not in VS1 and above.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've never seen a properly graded VVS diamond with a transparency issue.

Clouds are areas of microscopic pinpoints. If they are small enough to allow for a VVS clarity grade, they are so small that they are inconsequential from a visual or performance perspective.

It's important to understand that not all features are necessarily plotted. Only those necessary to identify the diamond and support its clarity grade. It is very common to see statements under comments regarding additional features. This is mainly so a gemologist will not be thrown off by a diamond with features that do not match the plot.

In the lower clarities, transparency can be an issue and Keys and Comments need to be read carefully to understand if this is a potential issue. But not in VS1 and above.

Agree

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results