shape
carat
color
clarity

Clouds in the table/center - a no go ?

Danish_Dynamite

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Thank you so much for a great forum. Very informative for a consumer like myself on the lookout for an engagement ring.

From a consumer perspective, I have found a diamond that I'm interested in with pretty good specs and at a reasonable price.

The only downside is that this is an Si1 - GIA-graded diamond, with clouds in the table. The clouds seem rather big and are centrally located, however not the first key on the GIA symbol.

Would you pass on this and pay more for a better clarity or do you think that for a consumer the clouds will not influence transperency and light return in the diamond to any noticable degree, given the specs ?

The diamond in question is this one:
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/diamond-details/LD10916213

With link to GIA report found here:
https://www.gia.edu/UK-EN/report-check?reportno=7286499905

Thank you so much in advance for your opinion on this one!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's an SI1 it may need to be inspected in person (either by the gemologist / sales assistant or by you as the purchaser) but I'm not sure if BN offer this service?

If it's not the grade setting inclusion then it may well not be an issue, but as you allude to, clouds at SI grades can affect light performance due to creating 'fog' so it's a case-by-case approach.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As a tradesperson I cannot recommend or criticize another vendor's diamond. However, I can speak to cloud inclusions in general. They are not necessarily something to avoid. They don't necessarily make the stone look cloudy or 'foggy'. It depends on how big they are and where they are located, and especially how dense they are.
As @OoohShiny points out, in the Si range they have the potential to diminish brilliancy but that risk is less if they are not the grade setting inclusion (listed first under keys to symbols). In this case the primary grade setter is a feather.
The statement in the comments section is also something to pay attention to. Additional clouds are present in the stone that are not plotted. (only those characteristics needed to identify the stone and support the clarity grade are necessarily plotted).
Many prefer some cloud inclusions to crystals in the Si range because they are harder to see with the naked eye. You just have to be aware of the the potential transparency issue and rule it out by physical inspection. It can be very subtle.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In general its not so much the size of the cloud that is an issue its the density.
Lets say 2 clouds each have 100 same size dots. One is 4 times the size of the other.
Which will cause a bigger issue?

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
call me crazy, but that diamond looks uncloudy to me!

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
In general its not so much the size of the cloud that is an issue its the density.
Lets say 2 clouds each have 100 same size dots. One is 4 times the size of the other.
Which will cause a bigger issue?

The one that is 4 times the size will be less dense so the one that is smaller with the same 100 dots will be more dense and cause a bigger issue.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blue Nile will have someone look at the diamond to see if it is eye clean if you request it. I did with a diamond I purchased. I don’t know why they wouldn’t be able to tell you if the clouds under the table negatively affect it. They also have a return policy so you have that as backup. My uneducated opinion is that it is a beautuful diamond with a clear crisp table.

Danish_Dynamite

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for all your advice. I really appreciate it and have decided to go for it.

Hopefully upon physical inspection, it won't be too hazy.

Thanks again!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results