shape
carat
color
clarity

Cloud inclusion

Thebishop07

Rough_Rock
Should I be concerned if a GIA VS2 excellent cut, excellent polish, excellent symmetry diamond has a cloud and crystals near the center of the rock?

Lula

Ideal_Rock
*Most* people cannot see inclusions in VS2 (I'm talking about face-up, not from the side of the diamond). And I'm speaking only of GIA or AGS graded stones! A VS2 from another lab may not be the same as a VS2 from GIA or AGS.

But depending on how good your close-up vision is, you may -- may -- see them face-up in certain lighting conditions. But again, it really depends on the nature of the inclusion and your own vision. Are you able to see the diamond in person? Does the company selling it have a good return policy? And how big is the stone?

Thebishop07

Rough_Rock
The company has a 30 day return policy and its a

1.02 CT
GIA 2125827154
Unfortunately I am unable to see the stone up close hand.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
That report is for a princess cut diamond, right? Just want to make sure I'm looking at the correct report. Princess cuts, emerald and asscher cuts tend to show inclusions more than rounds. But, even with a princess cut, most people will not be able to see the inclusions in a VS2. It is often easier to pick out the inclusions in a stone when you know where they are (i.e., you've seen the inclusion diagram on the grading report). But people who don't know where the inclusions are in the stone may never notice them. So it's worth ordering the stone and living with it a while to see how it looks to you, from all angles and in all lighting conditions. Remember, grading is done from the top, so if you want it to be eye clean from the side, you may need to go up in clarity.

Thebishop07

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lula! It will be in a halo setting so I think that should not be an issue unless its seen from above and it wont be raised very high over the halo so I think it should look fine. I was drawn to the triple X but am really concerned that the cloud may be noticeable.

I have a coworker who just got engaged this past weekend and noticed this monstrous carbon inclusion and a feather in the diamond and my objective is to prevent any inclusion from being noticed from above since its a halo.

Her rock was 2+ CT but horribly cut, dull, unpolished and massive inclusion. Worst stone I have ever seen. I just want to ensure I don't get stuck with that type of rock.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like it will be a beautiful ring. And from your description of your coworker's ring, I can say without a doubt, that your diamond will look nothing like that -- unless GIA made a huge mistake in grading your stone, LOL!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you ask the vendor about the eye clean status of the stone?

I would wager that the vast majority of the time, you are safe with a GIA VS2.

Thebishop07

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately the rock was a virtual selection so its not currently in the vendors hands. It should be in their hands in the near future though (somewhat concerns me).

As soon as the vendor receives it, he will take a look at the stone and let me know what he thinks of it. The halo setting is being customized to fit the stone so I probably wont receive it for a good 5-6 weeks. I really hope it turns out well!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd ditto Lula and the advice you've gotten here. On some occasions I've seen SI1's where clouds were the grade setters and permeated the diamond to the point of making it hazy. In a GIA or AGS VS2 that shouldn't be the issue though.

Thebishop07

Rough_Rock
Thanks Rhino. Hopefully this will not be the case and its eye clean. Would hazy be considered not eye clean?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results