shape
carat
color
clarity

Cloud / Dusty Inclusion(s)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TooMuchInformation

Rough_Rock
Another question from me.
2.gif

I''ve been digging through my girlfriends old jewelry, and trying to get my skills with the loupe honed a little better. A good five or so hours with the thing, and I start to feel as though I''ve started to go backwards. :D Anyways, here''s my question:

Is there such a thing as a cloud-like or dusty-area inclusion in a diamond? I''m pretty sure this stone is genuine (I have only one CZ so far I think - but that''s another story), but I didn''t know that a dusty / cloudy type inclusion was possible in a "real" diamond.

I tell ya. This stuff is hard, but fun.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are strange words man
2.gif
How can I possibly know what you mean
eek.gif

"Clouds" (as noted on certs) are gatherings of pinpoint small inclusions and such groupings can be made of larger included crystals too. Eye strain creates "cloudy" spots on whatever you look at (but those move with the focus of your sight). No idea what you have seen though. However, unless you really, really like how you look with glasses on, why spend 5 h
9.gif
with a 10X loupe ?!

TooMuchInformation

Rough_Rock
Heh, the 5 hours wasn't all in one day, honestly.
1.gif
I can usually only stand about 30 minutes to an hour of straight "loupe" action.

Anyways, forgive the lack of detail in my post. It was late (~ 3:00am). Let me give it another shot...

The cloud / dust has a brownish color to it, and the area containing these inclusions is about 20% of the stone when viewed face (table) up. I have no idea what the specs on the stone are, but I would asume I2 or lower (my assumption means nothing though).

Anyways, the "cloud" appears to be made of of smaller clouds, again with this dusty appearance to it. They don't seem to be pinpoints (they're white, aren't they?), and their color is slightly brownish or greyish. The smaller clouds are often ovular in size, and although *I* would say that I can't see them with the naked eye, there is a noticable lack of light return from that area of the stone.

Don't know if this will help, but after looking at it for a while, I started to convince myself that it might be oil or buildup on the pavilion of the stone, and proceeded to wash it (again and again), with no success in removing it. I should probably be able to tell if the inclusions are on the surface or not, but my loupe depth perception is horrible (and this is why I'm trying to practice).

Heh. At 3 in the morning, my eyesight might have been a little sub-par, too, not to mention my ability to articulate the "goo" that I saw through the loupe.
1.gif

Heh. I need to like, hire a pro to sit down with me for a day or something. This is crazy hard.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results