shape
carat
color
clarity

cloud and extra facet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hal

Rough_Rock
It seems there''s always some new variable that sneeks in to complicate the purchasing decision. At the end of the day, to a large degree, I think for most of us it boils down to how the diamond looks on her finger and that we made at least as informed a decision as we could getting a good value for the budget we have set (and usually exceed). After all, you don''t wear the statistics or certificating reports! I can think of few things less gracious as reciting the pedigree of your diamond when someone complements its owner on its beauty.

That said, after a fair amount of searching and examination, I came a cross a Princess cut stone that has nice size (1.11 ct.,) a good color (G), a Gia cert as (VS1), and nice eye apeal. The rectangular shape appeals to me (6.03 x 5.4 - from memory) and the table vs. depth are in line with advice I''ve gotten here. It also happens to be something I can afford.

As far as inclusions, the stone has only a very small cloud and a natural extra facet - both located in one corner near where it will be mounted (angled "V" type prong). The bow-ties and large visible facets I''ve seen in some Princess cuts do not stand out in this stone. For me, the bow-ties helped me weed out stones ad formed a basis to pass vs. keep a tone in consideration. The jeweler has assured me that the flaws (cloud and xtra facet)are not a strucural issues and are acceptable things that make this a Vs1 stone. The girdle is thin to slightly thick and again is within the guidelines of advice I''ve seen here (several postings on the dangers of extremely or very thin girdles being problematic on the fragile corners of Princess cuts).

HOWEVER....
I don''t see too many topics here discussing clouds or extra natural facets. Are these big issues that should disqualify a stone from consideration, or no big deal?? I''d enjoy hearing your thoughts.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
If it's a GIA VS1, I wouldn't worry about it at all.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 11/15/2003 8:48:24 AM hal wrote:

I don't see too many topics here discussing clouds or extra natural facets. Are these big issues that should disqualify a stone from consideration, or no big deal?? ---------------

There was a thread (2 month ago?) about extra facets, with the conclusion: "small is small thus unimportant".. Same goes for the cloud.
The uneven thickness of the girdle is not at all unusual in rectangular cuts and has something to do with the contour 'turning corners' (logis applying to rads, why not Princesses?). Clouds (meaning aglomerations of small, pinpoint inclusions) are one of those inclusions with personality: they can be bad or indifferent. Yours is small, so falls in the seccond category; after all, all VS1 type inclusions are quite tiny. Clouds might be cool if, say, they mark internal volumes with different fluorescence which may get a gem addict's interest. Otherwise, it should be very hard indeed to even see the one in your diamond, 10X and all!

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Usually that natural extra facet is an indication of maximum weight retention from the rough material. One very nice thing about it is that you can easily ID your diamond and sometimes those extra natural facets have some really neat trigons on them....

Cindy

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Clouds might be an issue in an SI2 and occasionally if they are the main 'grade maker' in an SI1.

But clouds are written in comments because if you draw a cloud on a plot no one would ever buy the stone because they can look like I3 size inclusions. Does that make sense?

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
A cloud in a GIA VS1 is so small that you probably cannot find it with a 10x loupe. The little natural extra facet is another non-issue. If you can find it with the loupe, look at it in reflected light and see what you find?

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
I thought a "facet" was a result of polishing and a "natural" is a result of not polishing. This would make the phrase "natural facet" an oxymoron.

In this case is the natural such a clean plane that it is considered a facet?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Many sure look like they have been polished RA.
They can sometimes be as a result of a cleavage or a growth face in the natural rough.
They may or may not have trigons - the little triangles arranged at 180 degrees to the crystal face.

xstal.jpg

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
I thought a "facet" was a result of polishing and a "natural" is a result of not polishing. This
would make the phrase "natural facet" an oxymoron.
-----------

Rank, you strike again. Are you sure you're not a diamond professional in disguise as a "rank amateur"?

A natural is a natural, and an extra facet is an extra facet, and never the two shall be twain.

An extra facet is a polished surface, and a natural is an unpolished surface (although sometimes the surface on a natural looks so shiny that it's difficult (but not impossible) to tell the difference. The key is hi-power magnification under reflected light).

They are two different entities, and are diagrammed differently in the diamond's "plot". An extra facet is diagrammed in black, and a natural is diagrammed in green (as an external blemish).

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I would designate that as a natural, Cindy. If it's not polished enough to remove the original skin characterstics, I would still consider it original skin.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Garry, that's an interesting picture. What am I looking at? A piece of uncut rough with one of these smooth naturals?

I see the triangles pointing down but I can't see the forest for the trees!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results