shape
carat
color
clarity

Clothing budget?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2005 3:19:50 PM
Author: MC

Wow, this really outdoes me and makes me feel like a lightweight! lol Sounds like you got some fabulous stuff! Macy''s is having a veteran''s day sale starting tomorrow. I have to get work done so probably will hold off until friday. god, shopping twice in one week. . .ahhhh
32.gif

What size are the cashmeres you''re selling? I love BR. lol

Ha,Ha, but remember, I went nine months and only bought 4 things, two of which I sold back on ebay!
2.gif

By the way, the cashmeres are size small and they originally retailed for $178, $148 and $88. I I think my starting bids for the most expensive one is $19.99 with no reserve! And they are brand new with tags, extra buttons and thread, yet no one has bid yet! Go figure! Maybe it''s the color?!
8.gif

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
I think that ones budget would also depend on their lifestyle and the job that they have.

I am in investment banking and how I present myself unfortunately matters to the people I meet with. Thankfully, I love my company and they are very accepting of my non-comforming high finance wardrobe. I love mixing my Prada suits with Target tanks, I layer stretch wool jersey under my Marc Jacob dresses, I wear vintage tee shirts with Marni skits etc...I have fun with my clothes and do not feel like I have to buy a whole new wardrobe for the weekend.

My job allows me to shop, but if I could have any job it would be a shopper. I would love to dress people....that is my passion.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my case, my job has totally dictated my clothing budget over the years. Before I graduated college, my father had always given me a clothing allowance each season, and it was very generous for Midwestern standards, so I admit I was a little spoiled from the beginning. After I graduated I went to work for an upscale department store and spent any money I had left over from bills and rent on clothing. My rationale for that was I needed clothes to wear to work...I had to represent the company by looking my absolute best! That went on for about 5 years, until I quit retail altogether last fall and started work as an invoice clerk 5 blocks from my house. The dress code here is anything goes, except tee shirts. So I spend at least 5 days a week in jeans, which has cut WAY down on my clothing budget. I save a ton of money, and if i need something special for a weekend trip or nice dinner out, I just go buy it and don''t really worry about it too much. When I worked retail, though, I probably spent between $400-600 a month on average. Now I''m down to $200. More money for jewelry!!!

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/8/2005 3:17:32 PM

Date: 11/8/2005 1:50:18 PM
Author: jaysonsmom
I''m also a bargain hunter, and try to only buy things on sale at the Mall or at discounted warehouse type stores like Ross, Marshalls, TJ Maxx etc. I''m also a mommy now, so I shop at a family department stores like Mervyns and Kohls a lot now.
Maybe I should try bargain hunting. I do go shopping once a week (spending about $200 per trip) and have concluded that I do have a problem, but I''m willing to give in to my urges and shop as long as I can try and get more stuff on sale! hahaha (Many of my clothes are INC and I cannot even get the good stuff on sale as many items sell out before being marked down, so I usually pick up what I like as soon as I see something that fits good.)

Does Marshall''s and TJ Maxx have good quality clothes? I''ve never been to either store, but my MIL says Marshall''s has good deals on handbags!
It''s a different kind of shopping! You have to go a lot because their entire stock changes weekly. It''s like treasure hunting. I''ve gotten a few pairs of Seven jeans, lots of Kenneth Cole, decent shoes, great purses...and lots of undergarments! They have great kids clothes as well! It''s mostly pretty decent name brands at TJMaxx and Marshalls.

Hmmm...I have some free time and haven''t been for a while, I think I''m going there this morning!
31.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2005 12:26:45 PM
Author: tawn

Date: 11/8/2005 3:17:32 PM

Date: 11/8/2005 1:50:18 PM
Author: jaysonsmom
I''m also a bargain hunter, and try to only buy things on sale at the Mall or at discounted warehouse type stores like Ross, Marshalls, TJ Maxx etc. I''m also a mommy now, so I shop at a family department stores like Mervyns and Kohls a lot now.
Maybe I should try bargain hunting. I do go shopping once a week (spending about $200 per trip) and have concluded that I do have a problem, but I''m willing to give in to my urges and shop as long as I can try and get more stuff on sale! hahaha (Many of my clothes are INC and I cannot even get the good stuff on sale as many items sell out before being marked down, so I usually pick up what I like as soon as I see something that fits good.)

Does Marshall''s and TJ Maxx have good quality clothes? I''ve never been to either store, but my MIL says Marshall''s has good deals on handbags!
It''s a different kind of shopping! You have to go a lot because their entire stock changes weekly. It''s like treasure hunting. I''ve gotten a few pairs of Seven jeans, lots of Kenneth Cole, decent shoes, great purses...and lots of undergarments! They have great kids clothes as well! It''s mostly pretty decent name brands at TJMaxx and Marshalls.

Hmmm...I have some free time and haven''t been for a while, I think I''m going there this morning!
31.gif
It''s the same with Loehmanns. It gives new meaning to the thought of buy it now or it may be gone...I''ve waited on a few things and they have been POOF gone when I come back!

The Loehmann''s near me is at this place where I meet with one of my GF''s for lunch either once a week or once every 2 weeks, so I usually visit after lunch!

I wore my Theory pinstriped pants yesterday to see a client and LOVED them. I may have to have them hemmed just slightly or else get some taller heels!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2005 12:26:45 PM
Author: tawn

31.gif
Cool! Okay, I''ll check them out next time I shop. I''m calling it quits - cold turkey - for a few weeks (LOL!) as I hit the Nordstrom sale today and picked up a cashmere scarf/glove set in black and pair of boots. Also got some shirts for my boys at the Macy''s sale. One of the shirts was marked down to only $2.00
9.gif

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
I got the cutest little Kenneth Cole leather purse today at Marshalls! It was only $39.99...

I got my husband a bunch of cool T-shirts!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Well...I am a grad student at Columbia, so most of my money goes to class, books and food
emsmile.gif
but since I live in NYC, I can find nice deals on clothes.

On average I spend about $50.00 or less on clothes (but I moved here with lots and lots of clothes from my parents). I just had my first Macy''s on 34th Sale and bought two pairs on nice slacks, a jacket/blazer and a nice shirt (all DKNY and BCBG). The original price for all the items on totaled over $380.00 but I paid about $65.00. It was a crazy sale!!!!! Very happy about it.

mantiss

Rough_Rock
So what do you folks do with all those clothes??
I share a closet in a 1-br apartment with my hubby - we have a "new purchase must replace an old item" policy. He has more clothes than I do, but his have more holes :)

Since I wear jeans to work, I get by with very little. Maybe $50-$100/year. Of course, I am also nuts. I''ve quit shopping at TJ Maxx - I can get great quality, name brand clothing that has either never been worn or worn very little by hunting at the local charity shop smack dab in the richie part of town. I have J.Crew, Banana Republic, etc. stuff - some of my best clothes. All I do is give them a good wash when I get home, and they last and last. Why spend more? Plus, all my purchases support charity. It''s a win-win situation.

I also think enjoyment of shopping has to do with how well clothes fit. I am tall, and I HATE shopping for shirts because they are never long enough in the torso. Sleeves aren''t long enough either, esp. on tailored shirts. I need some of those monkey shirts! Where do I get those?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Ever since this was posted I have been jonesing for new clothes...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/8/2005 11:36:20 AM
Author: rfath

Think I can convince my DH to move our delayed honeymoon from Spain to Bucharest so I can get some shopping done?! I''m only partly kidding..

Spain!? I am sure you''d love it. Including fashion: it may not be Italy, but I had the best of times shopping great things in little shops in the several Spanish towns I got to visit.

I am afraid Bucharest is not the nicest place... actually, much of the town looks rather drab. And around this time of the year there wouldn''t be much to do about the beautiful countryside around. Shopping is not great - having things done on order is better. My tailor is now in Athens until spring.
1.gif
(half joking, as you say)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/8/2005 10:48:05 AM
Author: Pricescope
I was expecting economical review on ''market basket curve slope'' and ''marginal cost per unit'' sort of post from Val.

But girl/emotional part prevails when it comes to shopping evidently.

Hm... I was going to review the Eastern European garment industry for the occasion, but that shop keeper gave me a better story (the %$^*!).
37.gif

rfath

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/11/2005 7:37:21 AM
Author: valeria101
Spain!? I am sure you''d love it. Including fashion: it may not be Italy, but I had the best of times shopping great things in little shops in the several Spanish towns I got to visit.

I am afraid Bucharest is not the nicest place... actually, much of the town looks rather drab. And around this time of the year there wouldn''t be much to do about the beautiful countryside around. Shopping is not great - having things done on order is better. My tailor is now in Athens until spring.
1.gif
(half joking, as you say)

We''re probably not going until late April/early May or so. That''s the current plan (of course, DH may end up deciding he can''t take the time off.. *sigh*). I can''t WAIT to go. Right now we''re thinking of spending time either in Andalucia or Catalunya, or maybe 5 days in each. Oh, the decisions! We both love the scenic little towns and beautiful views and great food and wine. Not quite shopping meccas, though! Maybe I can convince him that the novelty of shopping for clothes in another country is *more* fun!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/11/2005 9:11:10 AM
Author: rfath

We both love the scenic little towns and beautiful views and great food and wine.

Yeah, same here. I spent a bite of time (4 months or so) in Murcia (between Alicante, Murcia the town and Catagena) and went for short trips to Granada, Madrid and Toledo. A couple of days driving along the south-south-east coast turned out strangely beautiful places including and empty beaches with colorful red, white and black sand. Even the wave of tourists could not drown the charm of Granada for me - I would have moved into the old quarters there if I could.

About shopping for clothes in Spain... well, the usual brands are there as usual. What impressed me was the local fascination for beautifully tailored summer suits - and it didn''t have to be some big-name designer brand. I had a dress made at a local tailor in Cartagena (small town, no tourists and nothing to see but my thesis adviser) because silly me I didn''t think I''d need a formal outfit and a colleague invited me to her wedding. The guys didn''t let me out through the door without half a dozen fitting sessions (flat rate!) because ''you can''t walk in our work like that!'' Right... The result is the only sheath dress that ever fit both my waist and hips (hourglass alright).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results