shape
carat
color
clarity

Clothing budget?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, this probably would be better suited for the shopping forum, but it seems that forum isn''t as active so I''m posting here.

I totally need prospective. I went shopping today & picked up a few cute things (workout outfit, lounging outfit, and VS) and am suddenly wondering if I should be ashamed for blowing all this money. (I don''t feel guilty and am thrilled with my newest aquisitions, BUT, maybe this is bad, not feeling guilty.)
3.gif

How much money do you generally spend, on average, per month on clothes? We''re talking clothes - not handbags or shoes as those are an entirely different topic
2.gif

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
I definately dont have an average for clothes a month. There are months that the only clothes I buy is a shirt to wear out to dinner. Then like this month I have already blown $700 on winter work clothes (i wear all black all year and really didnt need any of it!). I wouldnt feel guilty, unless you know you dont have the money to spend! The change in seasons is always my excuse. I also am a big fan of justifing things on sale. Well hon, it was a $250 skirt and I got it for $125....isnt that great? I wouldnt feel guilty, when it comes to clothes, there are times we all need to splurge!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some months can go by and I don''t buy a thing. And others like September and October I spent quite a bit. 2 new pairs of jeans and 3 cashmere sweaters on sale. One of them I got at Costco of all places. So I don''t have a budget per say. If I need something I get it. But I try not to go over board. Yesterday I bought bra''s and they were on sale and even got one free. That made me happy!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Months where you don''t buy stuff? AHHH, okay, I was hoping for responses more along the lines of saying you spend X thousand per month. hahaha!
9.gif
Maybe I need therapy or something?
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well you only asked about clothing, if it was a jewelry question then that would be a whole other story!!
31.gif

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Did anyone see Desperate Housewives last night? Totally fits into this topic!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
did you hit any good sales? because if you bought something on sale, you''re actually saving money.
2.gif
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you do need therapy, MC! hehe!!

I also can go for months without buying anything and I am a fashion whore sometimes. Then other months like this month I am doing alot of fall and winter shopping (I prefer to do most of it at once or in one month) so I'll probably spend a thousand or something like that. But that's it until Feb or so probably. Part of why I buy more expensive stuff is so that it will last so I just need to add pieces as I go along.

So in terms of average per month, maybe $300 or so across 12 months? I also like watching for sales and getting good deals. I hate buying at full price! Loehmanns is one of my fave places because I love brand names.

If I shopped as much as I wanted to, we'd have NO money EVER and would be living in a box. But we have other priorities unfortunately.
9.gif

Last nite on DH that was soo funny Angel...I told Greg, oh my god if it means that we can never buy anything for us again if we have kids, I'm so not on board! hehee. Or maybe just one and not three. The guilt trip over new clothes for work? Those are NECESSARY!!

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t spend a whole lot on clothes, and I never pay full price. I do a lot of Norstrom Rack, Loehmans, TJMax, and the good sales at the nicer department stores! Then, all I wear is my American Eagle zip-up hoodies, flipflops, and my Seven for all Mankind jeans! I do spend quite a bit on make-up though! I don''t even wear that much, but I have sensitive skin so I need the good stuff!
2.gif
(I make my husband watch DH with me! Then, when I spend $140-150 on a pair of jeans...I can remind him that it could be worse, and I could be sleeping with the guy that mows the lawn...which is hilarious because he''s 4''11" and 60yrs old)

I''m in the process of doing is cleaning out my closet. I''m at that stage where I hate absolutely everything in it! I really need to do a wardrobe overhaul! Sell all my old stuff on Ebay and put the proceeds to new stuff! After my trip to Vegas!

And MC...if you don''t feel guilty you probably don''t need to! Or you need to go to Shopper''s Anonymous with me!
2.gif

anika

Shiny_Rock
I know this doesn''t answer your question, but I think of clothing purchases in cost per wear. Sounds silly I know. If I know I am going to live in a $150 pair of jeans then thats fine. Its hard to compare what others spend as others lifestyles are so different and some are into labels, others not. SOunds like you don''t do this everyday so enjoy and don''t feel ashamed
1.gif

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
I save on some things, splurge on others. I spend between $500-$800 every winter month, but less in summer. I never buy things with obvious logos but I do have weaknesses for cashmere, one-off boutiquey dresses and expensive jeans. Tag''s are my absolute favourite at the moment!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I don't have a budget either, but like most everyone here, I can go months without buying anything and then suddenly blow a lot of money in the span of two weeks. I did purchase a lot of stuff this month ( three Juicy outfits, 4 pairs of designer jeans, 3 new shoes, 2 james perse shirts, 2 C&C shirts, 1 Banana Republic coat, 1 camel hair coat( Macy's on sale), some new VS underwear, 1 BR sweater, 2 dressy shirts) , but I probably won't spend a dime for the next three months.
I am really bad though and sometimes find that I will buy things that I don't actually need and can't return because it's too late. As a matter of fact, I just put up three brand new cashmere sweaters from Banana Republic on ebay because I just never wore them! I have a bunch of other stuff that I never wore that I will probably sell one day!
31.gif

My whole pregnancy, I never bought anything but the two seven jeans and two outfits for going out, because I had kept all my maternity stuff from my first daughter.
So all this shopping is to make up for the 9 months that I didn't buy anything!!!
As for the kids, I have been lucky because I have not actually bought my new baby any new clothes except for her going home outfit from the hospital. I was really good at storing my first daughter's clothes and kept everything. I bought all of her stuff from babyGap too, so they are fairly good quality. Some of the things I stored were never worn or only worn once, so are basically brand new as well.
2.gif

rfath

Shiny_Rock
Oh, man.. and here I am feeling guilty for spending $80 on myself for either pants or shoes every few months.. I think *I* need therapy. Must.. be.. able.. to.. spend.. money.. on.. self...

Then again, I''m clueless about what basics to buy, get depressed when I do manage to go out shopping at both the prices and how I look and then don''t buy anything. Or I play dressup with DH and he comes up with all the new clothes.

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Clothes aren''t that important to me, since I wear mostly black for work and accent it with different colored sweaters (I buy cashmere on sale from AT) and shirts from Express or Nordstrom. I used to buy all designer stuff but I think if I get nice accessories like purses and shoes I don''t need to spend it all on clothes. And of course sparklies are a necessity and take priority over everything
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha exactly LH...if I don''t need clothes shopping therapy, I most certainly need bauble shopping therapy!! I bet Greg wishes I''d buy more clothes and less diamonds!
31.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think if you have the basics in your wardrobe you just build on it each year. A few new cashmere sweaters, cute boots, and a pair of great jeans and you''re done. That way you leave plenty of room for new sparklies, got to have those!!! If there is room in the budget, I love a great handbag too.
31.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Eh, I don''t really stick to a budget for clothing. Sometimes you find things you just have to have, and other times you can go a while with out finding anything appealing. The only thing I really hold a budget to is if I know I won''t wear it more than once or twice. Things like sweaters, coats, work pants, jeans...I don''t really think twice about. And especially if I find them on sale! I figure $100 is better than $200 or whatever, like msflutter was saying. If you''re going to buy it anyway, might as well get it for less while you can!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
about $150 a year or there abouts depending.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2005 11:47:42 PM
Author: strmrdr
about $150 a year or there abouts depending.
There''s my man Storm.

Just spent about $350 for Brooks Brothers no-iron shirts, and will probably spend another $150 to conclude annual costs for these. I like them because I no iron but they fall apart, thus the need for the new purchases.

Maybe another $250 ish annually for additional stuff. Special years for suit jackets, but it''s been awhile.

I think that''s right.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
About 15 years ago when I was "Plant Superintendent" I had a clothing budget of arround $150 per month. Keep in mind that I could - and routinely did - destroy dress pants and shirts at work.

Now I am just a lowly "engineer" at a different plant and wear bluejeans and work boots (and while I still favor dressier shirts - they can have stains on them at work). I also run a side business that requires dress shoes, pants, shirts, ties, and a sport coat - but I don''t destroy them.

I still think that I probably spend about $1000 per year in clothing (which is equivelent to $2000 a year 15 years ago).

I buy in batches during the year. Nothing for months, then $300 - $400 in a day.

This fall - on the list to get: A new pair of Allen Edmund dress shoes (just about the ultimate in mens dress shoes: hundreds); resole a previous pair of Allen Edmund Shoes (probably $100 - $150), and underwear.

Perry

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I almost never buy clothing this time of year. I am allergic to all things wool and cannot find much without it during the winter. I think I proably spend the most on socks, I am always losing them even though I put them in the washer in pairs...I proably spend 15 every few months on just socks. But then I dont really need much I am in college and my parents give my clothing for Christmas. I have been lucky to get really well made things that do not need to be replaced yearly. When I do go out and buy things it is all at once, usally becuase my weight has just gone up or down. I used to spend alot at VS but lately I dont like what they are making it is all kind of boring.
28.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/7/2005 9:28:47 PM
Author: rfath

Then again, I'm clueless about what basics to buy, get depressed when I do manage to go out shopping at both the prices and how I look and then don't buy anything. Or I play dressup with DH and he comes up with all the new clothes.

That sounds terrible! Joke, right?

Well, part of the story applies: I don't fit in most things and it is a pain to shop. One good day a nice saleslady had the nerve to shout at me as I was half in through the door of their shop: ' I don't think anything fits you in here!'.
32.gif
So what? The shop was empty... unsurprisingly.

I am lucky that custom tailoring is still dirt cheap and very good in Bucharest, so anything that is not jeans and polo shirts I have made on order. I love the process - fittings, shopping for fabrics with the tailor's aid and what not. It is great to feel taken care of - like a spa treat
3.gif
This happens about two-three times a year.

I am working at home mostly, with occasional displacements to research institutes for a couple of months at a time. Aside meetings with private clients, there's no reason to ditch the jeans, unfortunately.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2005 8:25:50 PM
Author: anika
I know this doesn''t answer your question, but I think of clothing purchases in cost per wear. Sounds silly I know. If I know I am going to live in a $150 pair of jeans then thats fine. Its hard to compare what others spend as others lifestyles are so different and some are into labels, others not. SOunds like you don''t do this everyday so enjoy and don''t feel ashamed
1.gif
Anika, I live by the "per wear" thing too. I can always justify what I am buying based on the actual usage I''m going to get out of it and jeans are the perfect example. I live in them, wear them to work, on weekends, to go out at night, etc. So if I spend $175 on a pair of jeans, I can tell myself that they are worth it because I will wear them so much. Other than jeans, I try to buy everything else on sale!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I was expecting economical review on "market basket curve slope" and "marginal cost per unit" sort of post from Val.

But girl/emotional part prevails when it comes to shopping evidently
9.gif

rfath

Shiny_Rock
Val -

Think I can convince my DH to move our delayed honeymoon from Spain to Bucharest so I can get some shopping done?! I''m only partly kidding.. I have a definite hourglass figure and have a terrible time finding anything that fits well. It''s depressing that I have to get clothes that are either baggy or tight in awkward places - and why spend a lot of money for that?

Fortunately, for work I can get away with jeans and a casual top, but I''m clueless about what I need and where to go to find something more dressy!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were a sane shopper, I''d have a budget. However, I always wait until everything I have is too shredded even for the rag pile and then I go on a shopping frenzy to replace everything, usually in the wrong season -- so I''m shopping for winter clothes in the winter when the spring stuff is on the racks and vice versa. Sigh. Oh, and, maybe I''d shop more often if it was still fun but there isn''t any fun in it anymore. A size 8 in one manufacturer is too small, too big in another, and just right in yet another. I remember when I could take several styles of slacks & skirts into a dressing room, each by a different label, and the same size would fit in each. Now I''ve got to take in a zillion different sizes to find a few that fit. AND, what''s with the tops? Are they making sweaters for chimpanzees -- the dang sleeves hand down to my knees.....sigh.
20.gif

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I''m super cheap. I''d say about $400 a YEAR. Most of my clothes are classic peices, I''m still wearing whatever I was 4 years ago....and in case any one is wondering....... No none of my friends have turned me over to "A Makeover Story" on TLC
9.gif

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I shop by seasons, so my clothing budget averages about $500-800 per season. Spring and summer being less of course, because T-shirts, spaghetti tank tops, shorts, skirts and capris are just so much cheaper than sweaters, slacks, jackets etc.

I''m also a bargain hunter, and try to only buy things on sale at the Mall or at discounted warehouse type stores like Ross, Marshalls, TJ Maxx etc. I''m also a mommy now, so I shop at a family department stores like Mervyns and Kohls a lot now.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2005 1:50:18 PM
Author: jaysonsmom
I'm also a bargain hunter, and try to only buy things on sale at the Mall or at discounted warehouse type stores like Ross, Marshalls, TJ Maxx etc. I'm also a mommy now, so I shop at a family department stores like Mervyns and Kohls a lot now.
Maybe I should try bargain hunting. I do go shopping once a week (spending about $200 per trip) and have concluded that I do have a problem, but I'm willing to give in to my urges and shop as long as I can try and get more stuff on sale! hahaha (Many of my clothes are INC and I cannot even get the good stuff on sale as many items sell out before being marked down, so I usually pick up what I like as soon as I see something that fits good.)

Does Marshall's and TJ Maxx have good quality clothes? I've never been to either store, but my MIL says Marshall's has good deals on handbags!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2005 8:59:58 PM
Author: butterfly 17
I don''t have a budget either, but like most everyone here, I can go months without buying anything and then suddenly blow a lot of money in the span of two weeks. I did purchase a lot of stuff this month ( three Juicy outfits, 4 pairs of designer jeans, 3 new shoes, 2 james perse shirts, 2 C&C shirts, 1 Banana Republic coat, 1 camel hair coat( Macy''s on sale), some new VS underwear, 1 BR sweater, 2 dressy shirts) , but I probably won''t spend a dime for the next three months.
Wow, this really outdoes me and makes me feel like a lightweight! lol Sounds like you got some fabulous stuff! Macy''s is having a veteran''s day sale starting tomorrow. I have to get work done so probably will hold off until friday. god, shopping twice in one week. . .ahhhh
32.gif

What size are the cashmeres you''re selling? I love BR. lol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results