shape
carat
color
clarity

Clothes Size Rant

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
So I went shopping today. Fun, yes. Frustrating too. Here''s the thing. I go to buy a lot of stuff, and size small just ain''t small enough. Has everything been biggy-sized in North America, including our clothes? Can''t clothing designers offer XS? I hate passing up super cute stuff cause my size doesn''t exist.

Off to eat a cookie.....

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
A lot of the time the XS stuff gets sold out really quickly, especially at stores where things run a bit big.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
ITA LC. I am a small, but not super skinny person. I have a big bust, and I am curvy. But SOMEHOW the powers have be determined that *I*, with 32DD''s, am an XS at most stores. I always wonder what women do who are smaller than me, because there certainly are many out there!

I also have a love for vintage clothes and not coincidentally I am about an 8 in vintage sizes...seems to me that we are vanity sizing like crazy lately...

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for letting me rant. Agreed, XS usually vanishes early, but I have asked my SA about some items, and the S is the smallest that is available. Further, what do people do that are smaller than me!!!!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
1. This might not make you feel any better, but I would *love* to have your problem! I''m on the other side of the size ranges, where often cute clothes don''t come big enough for me, and sales associates often look down on me for even asking about the size range, as if I should know not to even bother.

2. I know a few very petite women, and lots of them shop in the juniors section (designed for young women/older teens) in department stores. I don''t know how useful that is for professional attire, but they definitely get lots of very stylish tops, dresses, jeans, etc. from there. So maybe that''s an option? There''s also a store that one of my friends swears by that only carries petite clothes (called something like 4-6-8? or 2-4-6? something like that) and she basically only shops there because they tend to have her size. No idea if they have that sort of shop in Canada, but maybe you could order online?
1.gif

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
The problem with petite is that it usually assumes short - but I''m 5''9!!!

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
The problem seems better in sizes that are numbered vs. S, M, L. Further, it seems better to get smaller sizes with designer clothes vs. Banana Republic, etc.

HeadOverHeels4James

Shiny_Rock
Bah I wish I had that problem! I get what your saying though..... I went into a store recently and held up a XS and XL and honestly there was not much difference! Gees its not like every woman is 5''5'''' and 140 pounds. I have a friend who is 5''9'''' and 107pounds and she CANT find any clothes to fit. If she gets a petite shirt, it looks like she is wearing a little kids shirt. I''m 5''10'''' and I''m to big for ''normal sizes'' but to small for ''plus sizes''. Why can''t stores cater to broader spectrum''s of bodies?
29.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 9:33:06 AM
Author: LitigatorChick
The problem seems better in sizes that are numbered vs. S, M, L. Further, it seems better to get smaller sizes with designer clothes vs. Banana Republic, etc.
I feel like Banana Republic has their own size system that is 3 sizes larger than other stores. I have a similar experience to Neatfreak in that I find myself wearing XS when I don''t feel XS at alll (I am XS in the bust, though! Bummer!). In fact my arms are really long so I end up with shirts that fit in the torso and are 3 inches too short in the arms. I wonder if women who are actually XS have to shop in the kids department or something.

It''s almost like they do it to make people feel better about their size..."normally I''m a size 6, but at BR I''m a size 2! Yay!" I don''t get it!

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Yah, BR is particularly ridiculous. I find lots of size 0''s that are too big!!! I think that they are catering to this whole "I''m a size 4" thing, when really, it is a size 8.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Buy Dolce and Gabbanna. You'll never find this problem.......
9.gif

US sizing is a huge problem for me--always too large in the hips/arm holes. Uh, everywhere.

cheers--Sharon

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
LitigatorChick you need to come move to Australia (actually Queensland to be exact) our sizes are smaller here so you should have no problems and there is always an abundance of XS, XXS and even XXXS''s :) those things are tiny. I relish going to Melbourne as I find clothes there fit me better due to the abundance of clothes that are designed to fit a larger European population.

I usually have a problem finding clothes that are long enough or take into the fact I have a waist, hips and thighs. Being 5''10 nothing is ever long enough in the body or the leg the amount of times I have bought short dresses and worn them as shirts is beyond funny and most things here are made for women that have pre-teen bodies straight up and down bodies.

I think this is something every women regardless of size, height or shape has issues with.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
OK, thank you for starting this thread! As a scrawny girl, too, I feel your pain! It feels a wee bit silly to vent about being too skinny, though, so I rarely do!
28.gif
Ann Taylor Loft carries 00 and XXS sizes here''s a link http://www.anntaylorloft.com/home.jsp Ann Taylor does as well http://www.anntaylor.com/home.jsp That said, their clothes don''t really appeall to me. They''re a bit ''vanilla'' or plain to me. AND they don''t fit me right. The clothes are still too big. I think they adjusted their sizing and made their 0 a 00. It doesn''t seem like their 00 size is any smaller than their 0 used to be. My sis wears a 0 - 2 there and no way is she''s a 0 - 2 any place else. *sigh* What''s a girl to do? Oftentimes I can only find things that fit in Juniors departments and dontcha know all mothers of three want to walk around looking 15!!!!!!

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 9:59:41 AM
Author: HeadOverHeels4James
Bah I wish I had that problem! I get what your saying though..... I went into a store recently and held up a XS and XL and honestly there was not much difference! Gees its not like every woman is 5''5'' and 140 pounds. I have a friend who is 5''9'' and 107pounds and she CANT find any clothes to fit. If she gets a petite shirt, it looks like she is wearing a little kids shirt. I''m 5''10'' and I''m to big for ''normal sizes'' but to small for ''plus sizes''. Why can''t stores cater to broader spectrum''s of bodies?
29.gif
I am the same way! The plus sizes are way too big but the woman''s sizes are too small
29.gif

I also have a long torso and find that most women''s shirts are way too short
29.gif

I have a hard time fitting jeans also. The waist will be too small yet the hip and butt area are baggy! Not all woman are hourglass figures!
Please don''t get me going!

HeadOverHeels4James

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 1:05:34 PM
Author: akmiss

Bah I wish I had that problem! I get what your saying though..... I went into a store recently and held up a XS and XL and honestly there was not much difference! Gees its not like every woman is 5''5'' and 140 pounds. I have a friend who is 5''9'' and 107pounds and she CANT find any clothes to fit. If she gets a petite shirt, it looks like she is wearing a little kids shirt. I''m 5''10'' and I''m to big for ''normal sizes'' but to small for ''plus sizes''. Why can''t stores cater to broader spectrum''s of bodies?
29.gif

I am the same way! The plus sizes are way too big but the woman''s sizes are too small
29.gif

I also have a long torso and find that most women''s shirts are way too short
29.gif

I have a hard time fitting jeans also. The waist will be too small yet the hip and butt area are baggy! Not all woman are hourglass figures!

Please don''t get me going!

OMG!! We are totally the same!! I HATE PANTS
29.gif
If i do find them to fit my waist they are HUGE in my butt and thighs and if I get them to fit my butt, thighs,and hips I get a muffin top!!! NOT CUTE!!!
38.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
My mom''s pant size is a 0 with a 34" inseam. She has a lot of problems finding those.

I am large chested and have a heck of a time finding a shirt that fits the girls but still fits my waist. I always look like I''m wearing a tarp!

Basically, it all sucks. But, I''d rather have your problem than mine.
2.gif

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Canuk, just what I need, a Dolce & Gabbana addiction! I''ll be broke!

It sounds like lots of women have trouble in the clothing department with sizing. I''ve found that I wear a lot of skirts to compensate of the lack of length in pants. I have a better time finding my work clothes, since I buy lots of designer stuff for the most part, and a 2 usually fits, which I can find or hunt down. Casual clothes are the most annoying - either too big or I look like I am 15.

Miranda, are we long lost sisters or something? Scrawny, same car, and kickin'' around in bikinis.
emsmiled.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 2:03:05 PM

It sounds like lots of women have trouble in the clothing department with sizing. I''ve found that I wear a lot of skirts to compensate of the lack of length in pants. I have a better time finding my work clothes, since I buy lots of designer stuff for the most part, and a 2 usually fits, which I can find or hunt down. Casual clothes are the most annoying - either too big or I look like I am 15.

Miranda, are we long lost sisters or something? Scrawny, same car, and kickin'' around in bikinis.
emsmiled.gif
haha! Maybe! Hoochies unite!!!
9.gif
Except that you''re 5''9" and I''m 5'' 2". Maybe our mother had better prenatal care with you? Or maybe we have a different father?

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
As a smaller guy, I have the same problem as you ladies so I sympathize. Unless it''s something that is not important, I get pretty much everything altered.

HeadOverHeels4James

Shiny_Rock
MY FF wears a 30-32 waist and 36 inseam... yea try finding those babies at a store!!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bah I wish I had that problem! I get what your saying though..... I went into a store recently and held up a XS and XL and honestly there was not much difference! Gees its not like every woman is 5''5'''' and 140 pounds. I have a friend who is 5''9'''' and 107pounds and she CANT find any clothes to fit. If she gets a petite shirt, it looks like she is wearing a little kids shirt. I''m 5''10'''' and I''m to big for ''normal sizes'' but to small for ''plus sizes''. Why can''t stores cater to broader spectrum''s of bodies?
29.gif

Even the 5''5" who are 140 have problems. I''m a bit shorter, 5''4", 130 down from 140 a couple of years ago, and have a hard time finding clothe me that fit me well. One design just doesn''t fit all body types. And sizing sucks. I can be anywhere from a XS to S to M.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I want to join this rant......along the same lines, but with swimsuits. I am soooooo frustrated right now. I''m fairly petite and short, and wear small/sometimes medium bikini bottoms....but am a 34DD on top.....every store seems to think that every woman is a B cup.....seriously I''m so tired of tiny little triangles that make me pop out on every side.
14.gif
The large ones aren''t much better, and then their just way too big everywhere else. It just makes me feel like the clothing industry feels, that anyone who''s that large up top, must be large everywhere else, and shouldn''t be seen in a 2 piece
38.gif
.....Any body else have these issues? I''d feel sooo much better!

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 2:03:05 PM

emsmiled.gif
As someone who is 5''2 107 pounds and curvy, I feel your pain. I am too much of a woman for juniors and too small for most women''s.

Have you tried express and jacob? Express carries pants that are xxs that are even a little too small for me, which NEVER happens, and they come in long legs, regular and short. Their pants are about the only ones that fit me, ever. Plus, their shirts are basic and in natural fibers, so they are good for casual wear.

I love Jacob and I hate you because they aren''t stateside and I would love to shop there. I can''t wear most of their stuff as it is cut for tall women, but the few pieces I have I really love. I know they are in BC and Quebec, but I don''t know about the other provinces.

At least I have normal sized feet. My mom has tiny feet and always has to ask the store to call their San Fran branch, since that''s where they ship their smallest sizes due to the large Asian population.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 6:10:34 PM
Author: joflier
I want to join this rant......along the same lines, but with swimsuits. I am soooooo frustrated right now. I''m fairly petite and short, and wear small/sometimes medium bikini bottoms....but am a 34DD on top.....every store seems to think that every woman is a B cup.....seriously I''m so tired of tiny little triangles that make me pop out on every side.
14.gif
The large ones aren''t much better, and then their just way too big everywhere else. It just makes me feel like the clothing industry feels, that anyone who''s that large up top, must be large everywhere else, and shouldn''t be seen in a 2 piece
38.gif

joflier Have you tried swimwear with larger size cups? A lot of designers here have D and E cup options for swimwear in a huge range of sizes :).

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 6:48:38 PM
Author: Deelight

14.gif
38.gif

joflier Have you tried swimwear with larger size cups? A lot of designers here have D and E cup options for swimwear in a huge range of sizes :).
Which designers? Wisconsin isn''t exactly a mecca for shopping options.....
2.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 6:53:53 PM

14.gif
38.gif

2.gif

People like Seafolly, Jets there are quite a few but off the top of my head I can''t think of them all.

This is where I and a lot of people I know buy swimwear they do have a greater variety in store and they ship internationally, easily one of the BEST swimwear shops around these parts :).
http://sunburn.com.au/store/

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Thanks deelight, I''ll have to check it out. Although I never have good luck when buying clothing online. I just have a difficult body to find a good fit.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
joflier - you could try J Crew. You have to order the D cup swimsuit sizes online, but once you do they fit great - I got a cute navy halter that provides plenty of coverage for my 32DDs. One word of warning though - the bottoms are a bit skimpy. I''m a 2-4 in their pants and skirts, and had to order a medium in the bottom of the swimsuit to feel comfortable with the coverage...

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 7:11:06 PM
Thanks deelight, I''ll have to check it out. Although I never have good luck when buying clothing online. I just have a difficult body to find a good fit.

No worries :) I know how hard it can be to find swim wear that looks good and covers.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 6:53:53 PM

14.gif
38.gif

2.gif

Wisconsin huh? We don''t have much shopping here, that''s true...I often drive down to the mall in Schaumberg.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results