shape
carat
color
clarity

Clothes Size Rant

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
What really kills me is the inconsistency of sizing from store to store. I can walk into one small and wear an XS, but then walk into another and wear a M, and then walk into another and find that XS is too big. It''s the same with # sizes. I''ll be a 2 here, a 4 here, an 8 there. Madness. When Sales associates ask me what size I need, sometimes I just bewilderedly say that I have no idea. Even within some stores it gets inconsistent. Luckily, some places are pretty consistent. If you''re an XS in one thing, you''ll need it in everything.

And since we''re ranting, long sleeves sometimes kill me. I am pretty tall, and I have trouble sometime finding long sleeves that fit my body that aren''t too short in the arms. Maybe that''s why I prefer summer clothes to winter.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
I rarely wear long sleeve anything - I''m 5''9, with long arms and legs (kinda like a monkey, I guess!). So nothing is long enough in the arms or the legs - no long sleeve shirts and I rarely wear pants (to work, almost never).

Do you have Lululemon in the states? I love their hoodies (bunnyhugs to my Saskie friends - any of ya out there??) and tops, which are plenty long in the arms. Their pants are also really long as well. Most people have to get them hemmed, but not me!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

LLL stuff can be very long--but I am 5''6".

As an aside, I had a fabu lunch out yeaterday with my DH--at Catch. DEVINE! Anymore of those an I won''t be wearing bikini''s or D & G any time soon........
3.gif

cheers--Sharon

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
hmmm... I''ve never heard of Lululemon until now. I did a search though, and there seems to be exactly one store in my state. Maybe I will make it there at some point. Thanks for pointing it out.

I did miraculously find one sweater with super long sleeves, and it fit perfectly and was a beautiful color, a perfect texture, a perfect length. Then, they repainted the walls on our hallway at work and didn''t put up signs and I leaned on the wall (which I have a horrid habit of doing during class changes) and came away with a lovely line of paint all over it. SIGH. Poor perfect sweater.

Oh well. Maybe we will have another warm winter. Last winter, I found myself needing fewer warm clothes than usual.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/27/2008 11:47:18 AM
Author: Fancy605
hmmm... I''ve never heard of Lululemon until now. I did a search though, and there seems to be exactly one store in my state. Maybe I will make it there at some point. Thanks for pointing it out.

I did miraculously find one sweater with super long sleeves, and it fit perfectly and was a beautiful color, a perfect texture, a perfect length. Then, they repainted the walls on our hallway at work and didn''t put up signs and I leaned on the wall (which I have a horrid habit of doing during class changes) and came away with a lovely line of paint all over it. SIGH. Poor perfect sweater.

Oh well. Maybe we will have another warm winter. Last winter, I found myself needing fewer warm clothes than usual.
Lululemon is VERY popular in Canada - their yoga pants are supposed to do wonders for your tush! I find them expensive on my current budget (unemployed for the summer!) but most of my friends have them and rave about them!

I am one of those average sized girls who doesn''t mind that BR mis-sizes their clothes ;-) I''ll take a size 4 over a size 8 any day. And yes, I''m bright enough to know that it isn''t real, but I''ll take it! However I do wonder how girls who are smaller find things to wear because I imagine it is difficult!

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/27/2008 10:53:36 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

LLL stuff can be very long--but I am 5''6''.

As an aside, I had a fabu lunch out yeaterday with my DH--at Catch. DEVINE! Anymore of those an I won''t be wearing bikini''s or D & G any time soon........
3.gif

cheers--Sharon
Upstairs or downstairs at Catch? DH and I did Valentine''s day upstairs and it was excellent.

I did sushi for lunch at Zen8 and had way too much (and 2 drinks) and then went shopping. But got D&G...... sunglasses!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2008 4:18:41 PM
Author: LitigatorChick

Date: 6/27/2008 10:53:36 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

LLL stuff can be very long--but I am 5''6''.

3.gif

cheers--Sharon
Upstairs or downstairs at Catch? DH and I did Valentine''s day upstairs and it was excellent.

I did sushi for lunch at Zen8 and had way too much (and 2 drinks) and then went shopping. But got D&G...... sunglasses!
HI:

Downstairs--upstairs was booked for a corporate function. We''ve had both menu''s and I''ve never eaten a bad thing there....I also had two glasses of wine yesterday....
3.gif
; but none today while out lunching. But thinking now I need a blended marg......

cheers--Sharon

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
I hear ya. I''m likely going to be having some Pilsner - good ol'' Saskatchewan champage - this weekend, as I''m making a quick trip for my sister''s bridal shower. Some down home good times!!! On Monday though, if its still hot, I''ll likely toss the kid in his pool and mix me up some mohitos!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2008 5:07:59 PM
Author: LitigatorChick
I hear ya. I''m likely going to be having some Pilsner - good ol'' Saskatchewan champage - this weekend, as I''m making a quick trip for my sister''s bridal shower. Some down home good times!!! On Monday though, if its still hot, I''ll likely toss the kid in his pool and mix me up some mohitos!!!
HI:

Don''t forget your bunny hug
9.gif
......drive safely....

cheers--Sharon

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
For pants, denim and bras, try Zafu. You answer a lot of questions about your body type, sizing, etc., and it helps fit you into the style that would work best. It usually comes up with a lot of different price points, too.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
SanDiegoLady- I have the exact same problem with button-down shirts! Its so frustrating!
8.gif

If they do close all the way in the front as they should, the shirt''s too big everywhere else! I once read that a good solution to the problem is having a snap sewn at the point that doesn''t close/lay flat. I have been meaning to try this for the longest time, I just haven''t gotten around to it..

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I''m with you both SDL and westjenn - I''ve mostly given up on button-down shirts. I''ve got 32DD "girls", but I''m about a 4 everywhere else. Apparently designers don''t think that anyone is shaped like that...
20.gif
7.gif

I''ve heard really good things about this company called Rebecca and Drew (linky) where they make shirts according to your bra size. But unfortunately they don''t have a size that corresponds to my bra size
39.gif

Lynnchee

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/27/2008 1:14:19 AM
Author: Fancy605
What really kills me is the inconsistency of sizing from store to store. I can walk into one small and wear an XS, but then walk into another and wear a M, and then walk into another and find that XS is too big. It''s the same with # sizes. I''ll be a 2 here, a 4 here, an 8 there. Madness. When Sales associates ask me what size I need, sometimes I just bewilderedly say that I have no idea. Even within some stores it gets inconsistent. Luckily, some places are pretty consistent. If you''re an XS in one thing, you''ll need it in everything.

And since we''re ranting, long sleeves sometimes kill me. I am pretty tall, and I have trouble sometime finding long sleeves that fit my body that aren''t too short in the arms. Maybe that''s why I prefer summer clothes to winter.

This is the EXACT reason why I despise shopping. I can''t just get what I want and go! I am so sick of vanity sizing. Own up to your size America! Though, I must admit that I AM jealous. 5''9 and XS! It makes me want to work out.
37.gif

I have reserved myself to buying clothes from the Victoria''s Secret catalog. Their sizes stay pretty consistent. They have XS and XXS and 00. I stopped buying clothes from juniors because, sometime it''s a little too sexy - the stuff children and teens wear these days....
23.gif
. Plus, the material isn''t always top notch.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I gave up on button front shirts long ago

a) They are never long enough, I have a long body so apparently I need to lose about 5-10cms off my height so they fit right. The sides of me always stick out not the most flattering look.
b) Even though for my size my chest is on the smaller side they NEVER fit across there right either they pop and pull or give me bat wings on the sides so I look as if I need chicken filets and then some to help out
29.gif
c) They are always too long in the shoulder area they never ever sit nice on the shoulder line, though this could have something to do with the being smaller up top compared to the hip area.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I have to say it's nice to know not only us plus-size girls have problems. I sympathize, but I still wish we could trade!!
12.gif
I am 5'9" as well, but I seem to only find XS and XXS and 0's when I go shopping.
14.gif

ETA: OH and as for bikinis/swimsuits! HA never in my cup size around here. Maybe it's my area? Or it could be that the sizes are popular so they sell out I suppose? Who knows! I am sorry.
7.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to join in on the "I hate women''s clothing sizes" rant!

I''m 5''9" and a size 6 in the waist/hips region, but with the 32 DD girls, I can NEVER find shirts or dresses that fit right. Nearly every time I go clothes shopping (especially for dresses) I end up in tears because nothing looks good--it''s awful.

I end up in jeans and t-shirts pretty much every day because at least I know they fit. And don''t even get me started on swimsuits/long sleeved shirts/button up shirts/pretty much any other article of clothing. I hate shopping.

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a tailor you can use?

The way clothing is being made right now is ANNOYING!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2008 1:08:49 AM
Author: ladypirate
Just wanted to join in on the 'I hate women's clothing sizes' rant!

I'm 5'9' and a size 6 in the waist/hips region, but with the 32 DD girls, I can NEVER find shirts or dresses that fit right. Nearly every time I go clothes shopping (especially for dresses) I end up in tears because nothing looks good--it's awful.

I end up in jeans and t-shirts pretty much every day because at least I know they fit. And don't even get me started on swimsuits/long sleeved shirts/button up shirts/pretty much any other article of clothing. I hate shopping.
I'm with you ladypirate!

I'm 5'5" with a 29" inseam. The girls are 32E and I have a 28" waist. I am built like Betty Boop.

My clothing woes are endless. Even the 'short' length jeans at Old Navy are too long on me with flats. The whole world has seen my midriff because my tops never meet my pants. I have literally never put on a dress that fitted properly. The darts for the butt are always on my waist. And my butt is stuck in the part where most people's thighs are. So I always have a big pooch of fabric round my middle in the back, and my butt looks huge cos the fabric is straining.

I'm terrified of wedding dress shopping. How expensive are those alterations going to be???
39.gif

I wear a US 6 / 8 most often, but I have been known to fit into a US 4. Over here, I can be anything from a UK 8, to a UK 14. Once, in Benetton, I found I was an 18. I've come to the conclusion that the number is meaningless and there is no such thing as a particular 'size'.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2008 11:08:26 PM
Author:LitigatorChick
So I went shopping today. Fun, yes. Frustrating too. Here''s the thing. I go to buy a lot of stuff, and size small just ain''t small enough. Has everything been biggy-sized in North America, including our clothes? Can''t clothing designers offer XS? I hate passing up super cute stuff cause my size doesn''t exist.

Off to eat a cookie.....

Ha, yes.

I''m back to shopping in juniors as the smallest size of womens clothes (Not including designer/couture) is too big.

I cant stand the size inconsitencies either. Gotta love vanity sizing. Even when shopping for my daughter baby/toddler clothes are bigger. My daughter is slender but when a 2T can fit a kid in 4T/5T...yeah.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Delster- try being 5'. um yeh. i pretty much can't wear flats with jeans. period.

so, yeh i'd like to sign up on the i hate clothes size rant. urgh. i have come to pretty much hate shopping for clothes. it's SUCH a let down every time.

i fit into juniors, but i need a wardrobe that says professional not highschooler. the only place i've found dress pants is the limited. that's it. not express, not banana republic, not gap, not ann taylor, not this that or the other place. thankfully limited has free hemming. even on their short length i need 5 inches or so taken off. and speaking of express... how is it that i can't fit into their xs (well hello boobs!) because they are too small, yet i can't fit into their 00 pants because they swim? i mean, come on! i'm not built that odd. i promise.

20.gif

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/15/2008 11:20:44 AM
Author: jcrow
Delster- try being 5''. um yeh. i pretty much can''t wear flats with jeans. period.

so, yeh i''d like to sign up on the i hate clothes size rant. urgh. i have come to pretty much hate shopping for clothes. it''s SUCH a let down every time.

i fit into juniors, but i need a wardrobe that says professional not highschooler. the only place i''ve found dress pants is the limited. that''s it. not express, not banana republic, not gap, not ann taylor, not this that or the other place. thankfully limited has free hemming. even on their short length i need 5 inches or so taken off. and speaking of express... how is it that i can''t fit into their xs (well hello boobs!) because they are too small, yet i can''t fit into their 00 pants because they swim? i mean, come on! i''m not built that odd. i promise.

20.gif
Oh I always have good luck with dress pants at the Limited, too. I get a lot of emailed coupons too which is a plus.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
vegas: how do you get coupons emailed to you? i''m pretty certain i''m on their list, but i haven''t gotten one emailed ever. i do occasionally get them in the mail though

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2008 11:20:44 AM
Author: jcrow
Delster- try being 5'. um yeh. i pretty much can't wear flats with jeans. period.
I can imagine - my Mammy is 5'1". She has to take up all her trousers, and shorten all her sleeves. Even when she buys petite clothing.

I have to roll up all my jeans when I wear flats. I can wear up to about a 2" heel with 'short' length jeans and the jeans will still skim the ground at the back. With 3" heels or higher, even 'regular' length jeans are still too long. I'm snookered no matter which way I try to play it!

I just find clothes shopping so depressing a lot of the time. Apparently my butt is three or four inches below where clothing manufacturers think it 'should' be. When I look in the fitting room mirror I get a clear as day reminder of where clothing manufacturers think an 'average' person's legs would end - and that mine are nowhere near that long!!! Way to make a girl feel attractive!
20.gif

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I signed up on their website. Latest one I received is a printable "Friends & family" 30% off regular & sale prices 7/18-7/20.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2008 11:47:13 AM
Author: VegasAngel
I signed up on their website. Latest one I received is a printable ''Friends & family'' 30% off regular & sale prices 7/18-7/20.

good idea. i''ll signed up online. thanks.

saw that they are going to have clothes online this fall?! it''s about time!

aliciagirl

Shiny_Rock
Delster, I'm totally with you on the long torso, short legs. I don't have any boobs at all, though. It's impossible to find nice pants that fit without heels and considering I'm going to be on my feet 8+ hours a day, I need to do so ASAP! And I have a "professional" dress code at school. Well, nothing says professional like a nice crisp button down. Except they only come to my belly button!

On top of the long torso, my waist is only 22". Too bad my hips/legs are a size 8. It's like putting Keira Knightley's top on Britney Spears' bottom. It's mind boggling and impossible to dress! I need an XS shirt most of the time and for some reason most companies also think that means extra short. I'm 5'7". I like that tunic style shirts are trendy because they actually fit me like a normal shirt should. And don't even get me starting on buying a one-piece bathing suit. I would need extra small cups, extra room in the butt region, and an extra 6 inches of fabric so I don't have the whole 80's high cut thigh workout thing going on.

I can't wait until I can afford a good tailor!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can never find clothes that fit perfectly, either! In fact, the only time I''ve ever LOVED shopping was when I was looking for my wedding gown--every single designer gown I tried on fit me perfectly. I was the sample size, and they were all long enough for me.

I have a long torso so shirts are never long enough, sleeves are too short, and I have narrow hips but an ample rear, so jeans are ALWAYS too big in the waist, and too short in the leg.

Sometimes I wish I was better with a sewing machine so I could alter all my clothes myself. I have to get all of my dress pants altered so I don''t look ridiculous at work.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2008 10:22:26 PM
Author: aliciagirl
Delster, I'm totally with you on the long torso, short legs. I don't have any boobs at all, though. It's impossible to find nice pants that fit without heels and considering I'm going to be on my feet 8+ hours a day, I need to do so ASAP! And I have a 'professional' dress code at school. Well, nothing says professional like a nice crisp button down. Except they only come to my belly button!

On top of the long torso, my waist is only 22'. Too bad my hips/legs are a size 8. It's like putting Keira Knightley's top on Britney Spears' bottom. It's mind boggling and impossible to dress! I need an XS shirt most of the time and for some reason most companies also think that means extra short. I'm 5'7'. I like that tunic style shirts are trendy because they actually fit me like a normal shirt should. And don't even get me starting on buying a one-piece bathing suit. I would need extra small cups, extra room in the butt region, and an extra 6 inches of fabric so I don't have the whole 80's high cut thigh workout thing going on.

I can't wait until I can afford a good tailor!
Me too! I've been stocking up as much as my non-existent income will let me! I find Old Navy vests and t-shirts are the proper length on me too. There literally isn't a single store in Ireland that stocks anything long enough to meet my pants, so I stocked up on the Old Navy tops when I was in the States. I can't ever wear a top without putting a long vest on underneath. Layering ain't a fashion statement with me, it's just modesty!
31.gif

Haven I am so relieved to hear that wedding dress shopping wasn't a nightmare for you!
36.gif
I have been worrying so much about my long torso because every cocktail dress I've ever tried on in a store, my butt's been in the 'wrong' place. I really hope it works out OK for me too as surely alterations of that magniture would be horrifically spendy
23.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2008 8:29:41 AM
Author: Delster
Date: 7/22/2008 10:22:26 PM

Author: aliciagirl

Delster, I''m totally with you on the long torso, short legs. I don''t have any boobs at all, though. It''s impossible to find nice pants that fit without heels and considering I''m going to be on my feet 8+ hours a day, I need to do so ASAP! And I have a ''professional'' dress code at school. Well, nothing says professional like a nice crisp button down. Except they only come to my belly button!

On top of the long torso, my waist is only 22''. Too bad my hips/legs are a size 8. It''s like putting Keira Knightley''s top on Britney Spears'' bottom. It''s mind boggling and impossible to dress! I need an XS shirt most of the time and for some reason most companies also think that means extra short. I''m 5''7''. I like that tunic style shirts are trendy because they actually fit me like a normal shirt should. And don''t even get me starting on buying a one-piece bathing suit. I would need extra small cups, extra room in the butt region, and an extra 6 inches of fabric so I don''t have the whole 80''s high cut thigh workout thing going on.

I can''t wait until I can afford a good tailor!

Me too! I''ve been stocking up as much as my non-existent income will let me! I find Old Navy vests and t-shirts are the proper length on me too. There literally isn''t a single store in Ireland that stocks anything long enough to meet my pants, so I stocked up on the Old Navy tops when I was in the States. I can''t ever wear a top without putting a long vest on underneath. Layering ain''t a fashion statement with me, it''s just modesty!
31.gif

Haven I am so relieved to hear that wedding dress shopping wasn''t a nightmare for you!
36.gif
I have been worrying so much about my long torso because every cocktail dress I''ve ever tried on in a store, my butt''s been in the ''wrong'' place. I really hope it works out OK for me too as surely alterations of that magniture would be horrifically spendy
23.gif

I LOVE THOSE and the the short shift dresses - perfect length shirts :), it is so nice to be able to lift my arms without flashing my sides

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
I hate shopping for pants even more than I hate shopping for bikinis. I''m 5''4" so I''m right at the shortest point for "normal" clothing and right at the tippity top of the height chart for petite clothing. That means that petite pants are too short on me, and short pants in "normal" sizes are too long. Argh! Don''t even get me started on trying to find capris... "normal" capris look like ankle pants on me.
20.gif

The vanity sizing is so freakin'' obnoxious. I''ve found that Gap is really bad. I have a bigger lower half (can you say booty?) and smaller upper half. So when I buy dresses, I usually buy them a little larger so that they fit my booty. At most stores I go for a medium or a size 8. What size am I at Gap... XS and size 6 is big on me. Huh??? How the heck does that make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results