shape
carat
color
clarity

close to the end of this trail!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cinder

Rough_Rock
First of all as I have said before, this has been so informative I almost don't want to make a decision because this is so fun. This is what we have (75% sure this is SUCH a hard decison).
SI1
H color
depth 60.4
table 61
crown angle 32.9
pavillion angle 41.2
good/good
NF
The price will be about 22K
Thoughts? Opinions? Really.... whatever you have to say we would be very interested.
Thanks!!

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Cinder,

Have you seen this diamond and do you love it? Have you compared it to more ideal cut diamonds side by side in natural and dim lighting? This diamond appears to me to have been cut to reach that 3.0 carat mark. You can read in the tutorial here also about the 60:60 fallacy. This diamond is likely to have less fire and scintillation than other more ideal cut diamonds. I suppose this is personal preference.

It's an SI1, I see...does this stone come with a report from GIA? Be careful about the accuracy of the clarity (and color) grading. Even if it is a true SI1, you may want to look closely to see if you can see any inclusions with the naked eye. This is a large stone.

It would be a good idea to send this diamond to an independent appraiser for confirmation of the diamond grading and for his/her opinion of the diamond's cut. Make sure there is a good return policy offered by the vendor.

Also, it would seem from the price search that you can get this diamond even cheaper.

Good luck :)

cinder

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your informative response. Yes, there is a GIA report. It seemed like a good price for a 3 carat (my husband really wants a 3carat) with those stats. The HCA came up 2.1, am I placing TOO much faith in that report? I will see the stone in the next few days. I know it's difficult not to love a diamond, but I will take your comments with me for sure.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
You're welcome. Try to compare the diamond to one of more ideal cut and make sure that you see them together outside of jewelry store lighting. You may find that you prefer the light performance of a slighty smaller diamond. A very well-cut diamond will often appear larger than a less well-cut diamond of larger carat weight and you will get more colored light return.

cinder

Rough_Rock
Hello again, you have really given us "food for thought". The 3 carat thing has some meaning for my husband, but maybe we should re-think this. I certainly have no problem with "2 something", so will re-evaluate things. By the way, do you have any recommendations on a certified appraiser in Chicago? I emailed one listed in an earlier post asking for info, but no response.
Thanks to all of you.:twirl: :wavey: :appl:

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know of any appraisers to recommend in Chicago. You can contact Dave Atlas, www.gemappraisers.com. You can send the diamond to him or he may be able to recommend someone for you. Some vendors will even send the diamond directly to him before you pay for the stone.

Let us know how things go.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results