shape
carat
color
clarity

clearance diamonds on goodoldgold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

antiquediamond

Rough_Rock
Please comment:
1.01 I SI2
Diameter: 6.5 (6.46-6.55) Is that too far "out of round"?
Depth: 59.7
Crown angle: 32.8
Crown Height: 12
Pavilion angle: 41.4
Pavilion depth: 43.5
Culet: .5
Table size: 62.2 (Will this size table make it look larger?)
Girdle thickness: 2.8 slightly thick
Proportion: 3 (?)

I put this round brilliant on the cut adviser and it came up as very good. I''m not positive I did it right though... How does one determine well cut? Must it be H&A or AGS Ideal or is a very good cut acceptable by the standards of those in the know? By the way this is a clearance diamond on goodoldgold. Why, I don''t know. It''s $3,154. Is that a good price or could I do better?

8*flash

Rough_Rock
That scores a 4.3 on the cut advisor! Horrendous. The table is enormous! No good. Unless you are getting an absolute steal on that stone I would steer CLEAR of that thing. I'm surprised GoG even sells such a thing.

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
62.2 is not at all enormous...

of course if you compare this table to the size of an Ideal cut stone,
it looks like being very big...it will make your diamond
looks larger of course...and you'll get a lot of brillancy
from your diamond...you'll lose however some fire..
so its only a matter of taste...

Ideal Cut doesnt mean Ideal for everyone's taste....

Trichrome.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
4.0 on the HCA is something to back away from IMO as well....though I have to say that my stone has a 61.4 (according to appraiser)/62 (according to GIA cert)% table and it's very beautiful, though shallow cut to balance out the top. It's very white brilliant and a little low on the fire but I love it. It also looks .13c bigger than it is due to the spread. Yay.
1.gif
So a non-ideal cut stone can be a good deal if the other numbers match up. In this case it sounds like this stone doesn't really match up..my stone scored below 2.0 on the HCA when I bought it but since some changes Garry has made, now its 2.5. Still better than 4.2!
1.gif
I'd pass on this one.

antiquediamond

Rough_Rock
[4.0 on the HCA is something to back away from IMO as well....though I have to say that my stone has a 61.4 (according to appraiser)/62 (according to GIA cert)% table and it's very beautiful, though shallow cut to balance out the top. It's very white brilliant and a little low on the fire but I love it. It also looks .13c bigger than it is due to the spread. Yay. So a non-ideal cut stone can be a good deal if the other numbers match up. In this case it sounds like this stone doesn't really match up..my stone scored below 2.0 on the HCA when I bought it but since some changes Garry has made, now its 2.5. Still better than 4.2!

Mara - I wish I understood all those numbers!! I think you do understand what I'm looking for though: G-H (maybe I if nice and white) RB or antique, VS2 or SI1, nice cut, large-looking .95+, under 4,000. What #'s should I look for for a shallow cut w/ a big table.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
What #'s should I look for for a shallow cut w/ a big table?

Always look at the cut adviser!
If the pav. angle of the diamond you are talking about was 40.7 instead of 41.4, the stone would be very nice and large-looking! (VG-VG-VG-EX) HCA 2.2

2.gif

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
An HCA of 4.3 is not horrendous.

The price is about right. Maybe it's a consignment piece.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The cut advisor helps alot, it rates on 'spread' as EX which is not always typical in the 'superideal' type stones.

My stone's specs are:
table: 61.4%
depth: 56.9%
crown angle: 29.9% (very shallow...under 30 is always noted on GIA report)
pav angle: 41.1%
culet: none (under 1%)

It really is all about the numbers. In a larger tabled stone, look for shallower depth such as mine, but not too shallow or else you may have a fish-eye effect. As with all stones, but more especially when looking for stones like this it's extremely important to get the crown and pav angles to plug into the HCA.

But again, the larger spread stones are really a preference from a visual perspective. They tend to face up whiter brilliance rather than very fiery (if you like fiery you'd want a FIC instead of the BIC), but benefit is that they look bigger. A bit of a tradeoff. I'd see a larger spread stone in person to be sure you like the look of it before you committ to the purchase because it looks a little different--as all stones tend to look a little different from each other depending on cut!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results