shape
carat
color
clarity

Clear, White Gems

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

EconGuy

Rough_Rock
Hello Experts,

Help! I am looking to buy my soon-to-be-wife a emerald cut "diamond" pendant as a wedding gift. I already got her great diamond engagement ring: 1.01 carat asscher cut (F, VS1, same cut percentages as listed as "signature" on bluenile, from diamond wholesale corp), platinum setting. martin fuller in virginia gave it a great appraisal.

Given the cost of the engagement ring, the cost of the coming wedding and honeymoon, a real diamond is out. So, how about diamond alternatives? I think the CZs look bland. I've heard that moissanite is better, but it is still man-made. I am drawn to natural gems. I have done some surfing and found that one can buy a white sapphire, white topaz, white zircon, and white beryl. But, I haven't had a chance to see any of these gems in person. Since this will be an emerald cut pendant, I'm not too concerned about "fire" or sparkle. I only want something that is clear, white, and looks like a diamond.

Two questions:
1) what do you think about my preference for natural gem verses man-made diamond alternative?
2) of the clear, white natural gems, which is better looking (in an emarld cut): sapphire, topaz, beryl, zircon or other?

Thank you to all who take a minute and send a reply. Your help is MUCH APPRECIATED!

Sincerely,

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
tough question in an emerald cut cz is probably the best option.
Why does it have to white?
What is her favorite color?

EconGuy

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the reply!

Yep, has to be white/clear, this is her favorite style. (Or, I should probably say the reverse, in that she doesn't like colored gems.) Why do you think CZ is the best option? Anything in particular? I haven't looked at a white sapphire/zircon/beryl/other yet, but do you think these are not as brilliant?

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: strmrdr
For a round zircon would be my pick but its double refractive so its not a good pick for an emerald cut because the facet junctions will look fuzzy.
Wow...learn something new every day!!
1.gif

I guess I''m mental...but I''d prefer a natural stone over a synthetic.

Just me...
widget

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about white sapphire Storm????

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2005 6:50:01 PM
Author: kaleigh
How about white sapphire Storm????
It would be very dull compared to a diamond or cz.
I like naturals also but in this case id use the best material for the job.
Which in my opinion is cz.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, there is your answer, go for the CZ.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are some diamcalc generated images that show the difference.
Tweaking the cutting can help a little but not a lot.

First diamond

emeralddiamond.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
cz

emeraldcz.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
sapphire

emeraldsapphire.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Oooooooh! Looky what I found at www.acstones.com :

A 3.9ct white sapphire, "radiant emerald cut" described as near flawless and having stunning brilliance....and it''s on sale!
3.gif

just a thought...
widget

S4811B.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The sapphire is much darker and has much less life to it.
Look at the ends to see the biggest difference.
Diamond and Cz would have much more fire from those regions than sapphire.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Here are some diamcalc generated images that show the difference.
Tweaking the cutting can help a little but not a lot.
Hey, Storm....didn''t you know there''s a law against posting such images in the colored gemstone forum!!!
2.gif

We''re poets and aesthetes over here, not scientists!

Well, I guess exceptions can be made since we''re talking "colorless" gemstones...
5.gif

widget

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Storm:
35.gif

I think the author is looking from a standpoint of a natural alternative..
21.gif

White or "Colorless" Sapphires have a great deal of brilliance, are attractive, durable and well priced. True Gem quality Colorless Sapphires can be somewhat difficult to obtain. Some Colorless Sapphires have a very light tint of Blue, Yellow, or Pink but are still considered colorless.

A Larger white sapphire would make an excellent main stone in a ring. White Sapphire is a natural gem, and as such, stands on it''s own merit as a beautiful gemstone. A gem quality Colorless (white) Sapphire that is well cut is a very brilliant gemstone, but nothing compares to a diamond.

A gem closest to a Diamond in brilliance and fire is Colorless Zircon, this gem has a very high refractive index but the trade off is that it is softer than white sapphire.

Personally I think colorless sapphire is a great alternative....
37.gif

EconGuy

Rough_Rock
Storm,

Thank you so much! Those pictures speak a thousand words. Your help is really appreciated!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay I'm not so dumb after all!!!! Kidding!!!!!

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock

Storm, could you do one of those images for a white zircon? Just curious.

I have a lovely 3 stone ring in natural white zircon and it''s very pretty and sparkly but they are rounds and I take on board what you''re saying about the fuzziness in an emerald cut. Would the fuzziness be very bad/noticeable in a pendant? People don''t tend to get that close to a pendant unlike a ring, one hopes.

My ring isn''t too different in looks to my high end cz''s but I do prefer my rings to have natural stones if at all possible.

EconGuy

Rough_Rock
Josh,

Thanks so much for the reply! You seem to make a distinction amount "gem quality" sapphires and other types of sapphires. Would you mind elaborating? Thanks much!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
would white/clear tourmaline be suitable?

peace, movie zombie

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zircon
Note it didnt do a very good job showing the fuzzy facet junctions, real photos cant either a lot of the time.

emeraldzircon.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
tourmaline,
Nice the pattern shows up well but also notice the almost total lack of fire on the ends.

tourmalineemerald.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2005 7:25:12 PM
Author: Bagpuss

I have a lovely 3 stone ring in natural white zircon and it''s very pretty and sparkly but they are rounds and I take on board what you''re saying about the fuzziness in an emerald cut. Would the fuzziness be very bad/noticeable in a pendant? People don''t tend to get that close to a pendant unlike a ring, one hopes.

My ring isn''t too different in looks to my high end cz''s but I do prefer my rings to have natural stones if at all possible.

Id notice it because im sensitive to patterns.
Some people notice color more than most I notice patterns more than most.
I think some people would notice it and not know what it was and some would be totaly clueless very few would notice and know why it was that way.
In a round id take light blue zircon over any color cz anyday.
But in a ring there is a hardness trade off so I dont know.
In a pendant a round zircon is a no brainer choice for me over even diamond.
Bling for the buck! :}

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
so, once again, its a trade off re brilliance, hardness, etc. what about price factors?

peace, movie zombie

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2005 8:01:19 PM
Author: movie zombie
so, once again, its a trade off re brilliance, hardness, etc. what about price factors?

peace, movie zombie

Pretty much a wash none of them are very expensize.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''ve read/heard that emerald cut diamonds by some/many are considered a waste, that the brilliance of a diamond is not shown to advantage in this cut [but flaws/imperfections are more noticeable]. however, there are some like me that really like the emerald cut. would concave cut be an option for these clear/white alternative gems? is there such a thing as a concave ''emerald'' cut? could be interesting....

peace, movie zombie

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2005 12:22:47 AM
Author: movie zombie
i''ve read/heard that emerald cut diamonds by some/many are considered a waste, that the brilliance of a diamond is not shown to advantage in this cut [but flaws/imperfections are more noticeable]. however, there are some like me that really like the emerald cut. would concave cut be an option for these clear/white alternative gems? is there such a thing as a concave ''emerald'' cut? could be interesting....

peace, movie zombie
That would be very interesting.
A homer cut white sapphire would be stunning but kinda expensive.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2005 7:18:17 PM
Author: Colored Gemstone Nut
Hey Storm:
35.gif

I think the author is looking from a standpoint of a natural alternative..
21.gif

White or ''Colorless'' Sapphires have a great deal of brilliance, are attractive, durable and well priced. True Gem quality Colorless Sapphires can be somewhat difficult to obtain. Some Colorless Sapphires have a very light tint of Blue, Yellow, or Pink but are still considered colorless.

A Larger white sapphire would make an excellent main stone in a ring. White Sapphire is a natural gem, and as such, stands on it''s own merit as a beautiful gemstone. A gem quality Colorless (white) Sapphire that is well cut is a very brilliant gemstone, but nothing compares to a diamond.

A gem closest to a Diamond in brilliance and fire is Colorless Zircon, this gem has a very high refractive index but the trade off is that it is softer than white sapphire.

Personally I think colorless sapphire is a great alternative....
37.gif
Howdy Josh nice to see you posting again :}
If the orginal poster wants natural materials that question has been answered too :}
Myself im not fussy I will use the best material for the job be it man-made or dug from the ground.
its all kewl
nice to see you around you have been missed.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/14/2005 7:52:55 PM

Date: 8/14/2005 7:25:12 PM
Author: Bagpuss

Id notice it because im sensitive to patterns.
Some people notice color more than most I notice patterns more than most.
I think some people would notice it and not know what it was and some would be totaly clueless very few would notice and know why it was that way.
In a round id take light blue zircon over any color cz anyday.
But in a ring there is a hardness trade off so I dont know.
In a pendant a round zircon is a no brainer choice for me over even diamond.
Bling for the buck! :}
Thanks for the information. I''ve seen a couple of light blue zircons and they do look really pretty too. They were set into rings too.

I only wear the zircon ring occasionally and I''m careful with it so I wasn''t too worried about durability problems. I bought it to wear instead of my diamonds when I''m on holiday. It would be nice to be able to get a round colourless zircon pendant to match but over here in the UK they''re not easy to find. That''s actually what I was looking for in the first place. The ring I bought was the first piece of jewllery that I''d seen with clear zircons so I jumped at it so that I could at least try the zircons out for myself. I really like them - colour, sparkle and appearance are all fine in this ring. I think they''re quite an underated gem, maybe because people muddle them with cubic zirconium. A good case for a new trade name perhaps?
21.gif

Do you know anywhere reliable from whom you can buy clear zircon jewellery over the Internet, by any chance?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love 'white sapphire' - provided is a piece like what Widget posted - large and faceted to bring about the qualities of the material. I am not sure a traditional emerald cut will work great, but some variation could be found.

Sapphire has less fire allright, but if the gem is large enough to be considerably brilliant and imposing - why not. Some diamond cuts have little fire too and there aren't many complaints againt that white brighteness.

Now, this is not the first time when someone tried to find a 'compromise' cut that would make light color sapphire look good in an elegant shape comparable to the emerald cut. Some solutions are out there, and the more successful (IMO) are combinations of step and brilliant facets or scissor facets. For diamonds, the Tycoon cut, the Ashoca and the Crisscut are such models.

White sapphire is not that often cut to be brilliant. And cut could also improve fire allot - if anyone tried. I would suggest talking with a cuter about this - if anything, considering a custom cut white sapphire cannot hurt. The usual versions are not doing any favors to this gem. And if you do this, ask about zircon as well and about adapting the proportions of fancy cuts to bring about brilliance and fire in both. Now, all you need is the right cuter
1.gif

Second on the list is zircon. These are inexpensive enough, so you could easily have one cut just to see how they look and perhaps use in another piece of jewelry later if not satisfactory. The double refraction has some impact, but if you find that to be a no-no is yet another question. Unless you are considering a huge piece, it shouldn't be very distracting. Again, perhaps a variation of the emerald cut would help. And the gems are very fiery.

CZ is a good option technically, but somehow it doesn't feel all that great to even think of it. It is not the fault of the material - those can be very well cut and what not, but the fault of all the dime-a-dozen jewelry made with CZ
8.gif
If you do use one, perhaps the setting and/or diamond or precious sides would help wash that kind of reputation away, but I can only wonder if CZ is worth that kind of treatment.

BTW. If in doubt, you can try out white sapphire by having a syntetic one cut - the material is obviously cleaner than natural and stable (the natural ones may change color in time from a blueish tint to yellowish, but I am not quite sure how serious or wide spread this is and if heating doesn't cure the problem. Color sability can be tested.)

Totally on the side...
yet another plea for sapphire. Oh well, some emerald cut diamonds are really not cut for brilliance. The old cuts are that way and their stately shape has its following nevertheless. If helped by the cut, I cannot immagine why white sapphire could not look at least as good in the optics department. I would really take a 3-4 ct. sapphire in that shape ! Besides, having a colorless gem cut in traditional diamond shapes will only make it look as some unsucessful immitation (IMO), rather than desirable in itself. And some matching sides
11.gif
Here's what I am talking about:

... just a thought, as usual
2.gif

crg.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Strm, have you used the same proportions for the EC models of different materials ? The GA allows to optimize each to match the RI - if not done already (as the pictures make me suspect). Unfortunately, the program does not allow to observe fire all that well, but some of that can be picked up. Playing with the proportions can close a good deal of the gap - well, as much as phisically feasible. One thing is clear - high RI can be hidden very well by a bad choice of proportions. The opposute is only (very) partially true, but so seldom tried...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results