shape
carat
color
clarity

cleaning Yurman jewelry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

crazydogs

Rough_Rock
I have a small pair of David Yurman Diamond earrings, they call them pave but it looks a little bigger than that. I''ts all sterling silver, no gold. I have a Crest heated ultrasonic (Thanks to you guys!)....would it be ok to put them in there to clean them?

I tried to attach a picture, we''ll see if it comes through.

Thanks for any info!

Amy

3205_12.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the silver needs to be cleaned first with silver polish, or a silver jewelry cleaning cloth. You can clean the diamonds after. They look like they are prong set, not pave. Nice earrings, btw....

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2007 8:26:37 PM
Author: Kaleigh
I think the silver needs to be cleaned first with silver polish, or a silver jewelry cleaning cloth. You can clean the diamonds after. They look like they are prong set, not pave. Nice earrings, btw....
Just be careful not to polish too far into the grooves or you''ll lose the beautiful definition that the oxidation lends to those sides of the earring.
1.gif

shminbabe

Shiny_Rock
This is really timely for me. I just bought a Yurman necklace a few weeks ago and then ordered another one, yesterday to arrive Thursday! I asked about cleaning. The sales woman said NO to putting them in a cleaner. My necklaces are sterling also. She said to clean them with the silver cloth it came with. Then said something about sending them back to Yurman for a proper cleaning. So I''m not really clear about that. I woud not put those earrings into a cleaner until I checked with Yurman, personally. I think they might be coated with something to keep them from actually tarnishing the way sterling silver usually does. I''m new to owning Yurman, though, so I''m unsure. I have a necklace with a snap-on jewel (mine''s a lemon citrine, no diamonds, but my sister''s does have diamonds) and I love it. I ordered the circle disk necklace for more casual wear.

I would really hesitate before I put those earrings into any ultrasonic cleaner or silver tarnish wash. I intend to find out more about cleaning Yurman myself.

Jeannie

SuLi

Shiny_Rock
I own several pieces by David Yurman, and have always used the polishing clothing that comes with the pieces to clean them. You can send it away to be cleaned, but bear in mind that the grooves will be completely cleaned - the piece would lose some of the "blackness" (I''m really bad at describing things in jewelry terms) in the cable, a trait that makes Yurman pieces notable in my opinion.

shminbabe

Shiny_Rock
I think SuLi is correct. OP, don''t clean the Yurman pieces, just use the cleaning cloth. Maybe get another cleaning cloth. The "blackness" (is it oxidation?) does give the jewelry its distinctive Yurman look.

SuLi, is that a Korean name?! Pretty.

jeannie

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2007 3:49:04 PM
Author: shminbabe
I think SuLi is correct. OP, don''t clean the Yurman pieces, just use the cleaning cloth. Maybe get another cleaning cloth. The ''blackness'' (is it oxidation?) does give the jewelry its distinctive Yurman look.

jeannie
Yes, it is oxidation, which is why I wrote that in my earlier post.
1.gif

I did not know that Yurman pieces are treated so that they are resistant to tarnishing. That is something I would not want to accidentally remove.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you use an ultrasonic or ammonia based solution I''m worried that the black coating will get rubbed off. I would use a polishing cloth and maybe a very very gentle toothbrush on just the diamond parts with liquid soap.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have the petite albion ring and stopped in by DY a couple of weeks ago. They said no to the cleaner as well (although I have used it a couple of times). They said a little windex on the stones and the polishing cloth is what they recommend.

SuLi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/27/2007 3:49:04 PM
Author: shminbabe
I think SuLi is correct. OP, don''t clean the Yurman pieces, just use the cleaning cloth. Maybe get another cleaning cloth. The ''blackness'' (is it oxidation?) does give the jewelry its distinctive Yurman look.

jeannie
SuLi isn''t my name...it''s the first two intials of my first and last names, my first being Susan (very American). It would make a lovely name.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results