shape
carat
color
clarity

Cleaning your rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Hey everyone! Real quick, I have a question. How often do you clean ( home cleaning, not ultrasonic) your diamond rings? Is there such a thing as too much? I know some gals who clean it everyday. Is this ok? Thanks for the help!
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, it''s perfectly safe to clean your rings every day using amonia/water or windex and scrubbing lightly w/a toothbrush.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I use the warm water/windex combo about 2x week. It works really well, I just wanted to make sure it''s ok to do more often. My DH made fun of me initially when I started doing this!! He was like ''isn''t that for glass?'' !
20.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, my husband has made fun of me too. He wonders why I'm so efficient when it comes to cleaning my diamonds yet our windows are covered with toddler fingerprints. lol

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I clean mine every day. I drop it in the cleaner to soak while I''m in the shower. Sometimes, if I feel particularly obsessive, I''ll clean it twice a day, especially if I''m going out in the evening. I usually don''t feel like the cleaner does very much until I clean other people''s dirty rings and then I realize it''s because I don''t let my rings get dirty to begin with! I also clean my studs/pendant every time I wear them.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get made fun of for this, but I clean my diamond rings every day and my studs too, if thats what I''m wearing that day. I have a great jewerly cleaner if your interested.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
usually every night. Sometimes I don''t put the ring on at all and carry it around in the box in my purse so I don''t need to reclean it. ;-)

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Are we here at PS obsessive or what?!!!
9.gif
This is good though, I''ve seen some rings that need cleaning BADLY. A few months ago I was at my MIL''s house and my friend''s wife let me clean her ring. I couldn''t believe how much better it looked afterwards. I asked her when the last time she had cleaned it was and she was like " oh, I don''t know. Mayble two months or so?"
6.gif
I was horrified!

about2Bengaged

Rough_Rock
I know plenty of guys who seemingly wash their cars every chance they get.
20.gif
So, I see nothing wrong with cleaning jewelry as often as one wishes.

This question probably has come up before, but what sort of "home solutions" are safe for diamonds AND platinum? (If anyone has any pointers, why not PM me so as not to hijack the thread.)

Spartan

Shiny_Rock
I think my ring cleaning "habits" have evolved into a full-blown obsessive-compulsive disorder. My fiance thinks I''m ridiculous about it. I probably am (I once cleaned my ring 4 times in one day).

One of my pet peeves is when someone wants to see my ring and then puts their nasty, oily thumbs all over it. I almost get angry when people do that.

I can''t stand knowing my diamond is dirty or smudged!
32.gif
I''m a head-case!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Spartan,
OMG me too, I''m glad I''m not alone, Lol!!
3.gif

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
At LEAST once a day!!! Sometimes more........................

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2005 3:27
6.gif
5 PM
Author: mmeowcollins
I usually don't feel like the cleaner does very much until I clean other people's dirty rings and then I realize it's because I don't let my rings get dirty to begin with!
YES! That's exactly IT! How true!

Lynn (an every-day cleaner of her teeth, face and diamonds!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
)

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Glad to know I''m not the only one obsessive about cleaning my rings! I usually let them sit overnight in the cleaning solution. There have been days where I will only wear them for a short while and take them off and put them right back in the cleaner!

dtexan

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/23/2005 5:41:20 PM
Author: Spartan

One of my pet peeves is when someone wants to see my ring and then puts their nasty, oily thumbs all over it. I almost get angry when people do that.

32.gif
I''m a head-case!

LOL! Someone just did this to me today. Took my ring to look at it and was putting their fingers all over the stone. I was thinking to myself, that''s not how you look at a ring!!!! I had to contain myself :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2005 2:58
6.gif
5 PM
Author: IrishEyes
I use the warm water/windex combo about 2x week. It works really well, I just wanted to make sure it''s ok to do more often. My DH made fun of me initially when I started doing this!! He was like ''isn''t that for glass?'' !
20.gif
if you soak it in windex over night ,it will turn into blue diamonds in the morning.
9.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve found what works best for mine is just a little liquid laundry detergent diluted in water. I soak for a few minutes then brush with a childs toothbrush and dry. It works great.

snlee

Ideal_Rock

I clean my ring daily. I always let it soak in the cleaner (the jeweler provides me with) while I shower everyday. I clean my diamond stud once or twice a week. Whenever I feel like it since they are smaller and now as important to me.

MichelleCarmen, I get teased about it too. I don''t clean anything else so religiously. But I must clean my ring daily!! Have to keep it sparkling!

2.gif

My family also makes fun of me for cleaning it and knowing so much about diamonds. They don''t clean their jewelry so sometimes I take it and clean it for them. And whenever they get new diamond jewelry, they give it to me to look at and ask, "So is it any good??" They usually buy whatever they think is pretty and don''t care so much about the C''s.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
is it bad to clean it everyday if it is white gold, will cleaning it every day wear down the rhodium?

Rebemdee

Shiny_Rock
I would appreciate suggestions for cleaner, as I''m using lemon scented palmolive (dishwashing detergent), and it just doesn''t seem right!

Also, does that "pro cleaning = six months of wear" refer to platinum, since it doesn''t buff away? How often should a ring be professionally cleaned?

Thanks!

Reb

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2005 7:25:21 PM
Author: TL1
is it bad to clean it everyday if it is white gold, will cleaning it every day wear down the rhodium?
There''s probably a correct, "professional" answer to your question... but here''s my (humble!) experience. I had an 18K WG setting that needed re-rhodiumed every few months. That got VERY OLD quick! Of course, I also work in a hospital and have to wash my hands 1,000 times a day, maybe that had something to do with it too? And then there''s the skin oils/lotions thing... anyway, that''s why my new setting is platinum! That white gold was too much work!!!
2.gif

Lynn

kittykat

Shiny_Rock
My ring is white gold and my jeweler said you can never clean it too much. I was wondering though, My cleaning solution is from the jeweler and it says to leave it in for 15 seconds. Is it reall possible to leave it in for longer?

windy1365

Shiny_Rock
I clean my ring every night, then put it up until the morning. Then, I sit at my desk at work and polish it all day with a napkin. If I wash my hands, I try not to get soap or water on my ring. I hope no one at work notices that I''m sitting there all day polishing my e-ring. Cleaning my ring every day for the last year hasn''t hurt it at all.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I clean my ring with a water/ammonia solution every single day! Also I use the little nail brush to scrub it. Lastly, at least once a week I forget and leave the ring in the solution for over an hour and have never had a problem. I do believe that ring cleaning is an obsession but no more than those who wash their car every single week.
16.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Hey, what a great idea...put the ring in cleaning solution when you shower. I''ve been scouring all over the place looking for a cute little box to keep in my bathroom so I could put my ring in it while I''m showering etc. The cleaning solution jar is perfect...my ring will be clean and safe..and one less thing on the counter is always good :) I don''t know why I didn''t think of that before. I learn something new from PS everyday!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results