shape
carat
color
clarity

Cleaning with Ammonia & Detergent

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

carbon lover

Rough_Rock
Okay, I admit I''m obsessed with cleaning my jewelry. So here goes...

I mixed a bottle of 4 parts straight ammonia and 1 part Dawn detergent. I keep it handy in the bathroom. For a quick clean I dab a small brush in the liquid, paint the diamonds top, under prongs. To finish I run the jewelry under hot tap water.

QUESTION: Will using straight ammonia & detergent be harmful to diamonds, platinum or white gold?

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
A solution of 50% ammonia and 50% warm water is best for most jewelry items. Soak your jewelry item in the solution for a few minutes and then scrub lightly around the prongs with a soft bristle toothbrush, like a children's toothbrush. Close the sink trap and run warm water over the item until the ammonia has been rinsed off completely and pat the item dry with a lint free dish cloth.

A mesh screen type of tea strainer is great for rinsing small items like diamond stud earrings...

NEVER use this method of cleaning for soft or porous / dyed jewelry items like emeralds, opals, pearls, onyx, lapis, malochite, jade, etc. or items which have been glued because it will HARM or DESTROY the items. These items are best cleaned with a sink full of warm water and a single drop or two of plain Ivory type dish soap... Lightly swish the items for a few seconds and then dry thoroughly. Be careful with pearl necklaces and bracelets that you do not oversoak the strands because the silk thread can be damaged.

These are general cleaning principles, we're not responsible for any damage which may occur as a result of anybody using these procedures... Nothing beats a professional cleaning... Refer to your local jeweler for cleaning instructions for difficult items or those which you are not positive can take this type of cleaning... Common sense is King
2.gif

Summer

Rough_Rock
I've never used detergent but I've been using ammonia and water to clean my diamonds for about 20 yrs. now for diamonds set in both platinum and gold. I actually boil the water and ammonia and sit a small strainer on top of a pot, above the water, to steam the stones. I do this probably weekly, not daily. Then I use a small brush to clean under the prongs and rinse with warm water. I've never had a problem cleaning my diamonds this way, they seem to always come out sparkling and to me look as good as new!
appl.gif

When my allergies are bothering me and I can't take the smell of ammonia then I use good old jewlery cleaner or windex.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results