shape
carat
color
clarity

Cleaning w/ alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondjane

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know whether cleaning with rubbing alcohol will harm a diamond or platinum metal?
I discovered that using alcohol with a small brush and rinsing with water cleans my ring very quickly.

I''ve been using Dawn and toothbrush, followed by soaking in boiling water. That works really well. But alcohol does well when in a pinch for time.

Thanks.

read.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think alcohol is fine. I've been using amonia and water and this works pretty nicely also.

Michelle

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Cleaning with alcohol? Well, an ice cold straight up vodka martini certainly makes cleaning the whole house a little less tedious. Nyuk nyuk.
9.gif

It shouldn't harm your diamond, either.
2.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
No worries, but we prefer 50/50 ammonia and hot water with a baby's soft bristle tooth brush... Remember to close the sink trap before ringsing the ring off with hot water! Old fashioned (blue colored) 409 household cleaner works equally well... Do NOT use this method of cleaning for any porous gem stones, opals, jade, pearls, onyx, malochite (however that's spelled), emeralds, etc. And if you're running around with a Tanzanite do not take change temperature on the stone quickly because it will shatter faster than a cold windshield hit with hot water on a cold winter day!
eek.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
A good travel trick is to pack some of the individual alcohol towellettes to get the surface layer of lotions, etc off. (Don't know if airplanes let you travel with bottles of windex anymore
2.gif
. )

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 11/11/2003 7:26:33 PM lop wrote:

(Don't know if airplanes let you travel with bottles of windex anymore
2.gif
. )
----------------
Yes..windex could be considered a dangerous weapon here in the USA....hmmm.
rolleyes.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Yep -- you might attack a seatmate's diamond if it's dull and lifeless!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results