shape
carat
color
clarity

Cleaning Tiffany sterling silver somerset knot earrings

sweet_pea

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I have the sterling silver knot earrings and I'm having a little bit of trouble polishing them. I've heard that the silver dips are too harsh but just polishing them with a normal silver polish on a rag or those little polishing cloths doesn't really get into the earrings. I just polished them today and while the outside looks pretty good now, I can't get into all the nooks and crannies. Here's a picture of the earrings (not my pic) so you can better understand what I'm talking about. large_003.jpg

What would you suggest I use on them?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I likely won't be much help, as I have not heard that information about the silver solution being harmful. Would using the solution, diluted, be less harmful, with a soft, old toothbrush?

I know it might be a bit of work, but have you tried the polishing cloth, but using a pointed object to guide the cloth within the grooves? Even if your thumbnail was long, that might work.

cheers--Sharon

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am curious about cleaning suggestions too. I am very old school and use only Goddard's silver polish (paste) on all my sterling. It is very difficult to get the paste into the nooks and crannies of highly detailed pieces and frankly even more difficult to get the polish off! I have used an array of soft and hard tooth brushes and even coated dental floss with the polish to get into those hard to reach spaces. I was told by my old world jeweler NOT to use Tarn-X like products as it is harmful to the silver-especially with silver plate. I did buy one of those weird mats that you put on the bottom of a glass pan and put in baking soda and water. There is some sort of chemical reaction that instantly takes off the tarnish. I have not used it yet-I am weary. But if it works as advertised it would remove all tarnish-even in the impossible to reach places.

cleopatrasjewels

Rough_Rock
Tiffany & Co. sells a spray cleanser for their jewelery. It costs about $10.00. You buy it directly at on their website. I just purchased some for my badly tarnished Sommerset Mesh ring. Hope it helps. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results