shape
carat
color
clarity

Cleaning softer stones

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've accumulated a few pieces of jewelry over the past year or so and haven't really cleaned them properly other than with just warm water and soap. Is there a safe was to clean stones like beryl and topaz? I assume scrubbing with a tooth brush is probably not a good idea? What about things like alcohol and Windex? Should they be avoided also?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Warm soapy water and a baby toothbrush is best. With set stones, I also use a small paintbrush and a bit of dish-soap to get into all the bits underneath etc. Rinse well. You don't really need any more than that.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've been doing the right thing; warm soapy water with a baby toothbrush. Be sure to rinse well but not over an unplugged sink! Yes, it is safe for beryl and topaz as well. Depending on the metal of your jewellery, white gold and ammonia (some cleaners contain this) should not mix as it will eat into the metal over time. There are some very mild ammonia free jewellery cleaning fluid that are also safe to use.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Good to know that toothbrush is safe, i'm going to add that to my cleaning routine.

kt

Shiny_Rock
On a related note - if i have an old Sonicare toothbrush with old, soft bristles - do you think that would damage my stones if I use that?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Oral-B makes the softest baby brushes I've found.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kt|1315961438|3016947 said:
On a related note - if i have an old Sonicare toothbrush with old, soft bristles - do you think that would damage my stones if I use that?

I have no idea; perhaps the harder stones will be fine.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I would probably avoid anything that could cause micro-vibrations in the stone. I might be being overly cautious here...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was assuming that Alene will be cleaning her gemstones by hand using the old Sonic toothbrush, not using it electrically....at least I hope not!

kt

Shiny_Rock
Um...no, that was me, and yes, I have actually cleaned my diamonds using my sonicare electronically :oops: maybe i should stop that? But it does get my erring super clean! Oh well....back to manual!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kt|1316141428|3018639 said:
Um...no, that was me, and yes, I have actually cleaned my diamonds using my sonicare electronically :oops: maybe i should stop that? But it does get my erring super clean! Oh well....back to manual!

My apologies, kt. For diamonds that aren't clarity enhanced, it's perfectly fine to clean your diamonds using your current method. Diamonds are tough enough to withstand steam cleaning and ultrasonic cleaning.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results