shape
carat
color
clarity

cleaning sapphire engagement rings

molldoll64

Rough_Rock
Hello all I have lingered on this forum for a while and this is my first time posting. I was wondering how you clean your sapphire engagement ring? I plan on getting a sapphire ring with a halo and pave going around the sides of the band. I have heard of steam cleaning, does anyone have any recommendations for cleaning solutions at home between the steam cleaning?

Thank you all for your responses and your time :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't steam clean and don't own an ultrasonic at home. Just soak in the generic jewellery cleaner (ammonia free) whilst I shower, then when I'm done, I brush it with a baby toothbrush under running water (with the sink plugged), pat dry with my cotton towel and I'm done. If you want to avoid water spots, pressurized air spray is best.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1474026680|4077294 said:
I don't steam clean and don't own an ultrasonic at home. Just soak in the generic jewellery cleaner (ammonia free) whilst I shower, then when I'm done, I brush it with a baby toothbrush under running water (with the sink plugged), pat dry with my cotton towel and I'm done. If you want to avoid water spots, pressurized air spray is best.

Is there any reason I should avoid ammonia cleaners for sapphire? Cause I soak mine in ammonia for like an hour when I clean it and have been doing so for a couple of years now because I find it is best to clean the pave. :errrr:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Distracts,
The concern with ammonia isn't with regards to the stone but to the metal, in particular, gold. The molecules in ammonia can combine with the molecules in gold, causing deterioration if there is long term exposure. It has little to no effect on platinum.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results