shape
carat
color
clarity

Cleaning my ring? I have been soaking it in simple green...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Yoga

Rough_Rock

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
You may not want to use something so harsh on the ring..the stone can handle it but the metal may not be able to depending on what is in the solution and what metal your ring is. Gold/white gold can wear down and/or be eaten away by harsh materials easier than plat.

I clean my plat ring daily and soak it in Windex. It has ammonia in it for the cleaning part, and obviously makes the thing sparkle like the sun! It's been recommended on here before by others as well.

My jeweler (and others) have also recommended 1 part Mr. Clean to 3 parts water. However, since we have Windex around the house, its easier to just use this than mix the Mr. Clean, etc. When I clean the windows, I clean the ring too. Ha Haa....

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
I bought a jewelery solution from the store to use. Can I use it everyday ... I read the jar and it didn't say about how often you can use it? I also like to clean my ring every morning when I leave for work. Can this ruin the ring?

jcdiamonds

Rough_Rock
Hi Fancy,

What you got, what I believe, is probably an "Ultrasonic Cleaner" solution, which is kind of purple in color.
That works the best!
You can purchase it for around $7/ gallon, and it will last for a very long time because you would only need about a teaspoon per cup of water to clean your ring.

Since Platinum rings contain less impurities, you can clean it everyday in this solution or use any other product- such as windex or ammonia- but use this very quickly to avoid any residue buildup and rinse right away.

Gold, on the other hand, contain many impurities that can speed up the oxidation process- hence, needing more polishing to remove them.

Best advice, put your diamond rings (no colored stones) in the dishwasher from time to time and you'll always have a sparkling ring.

slmulkey

Shiny_Rock
...Best advice, put your diamond rings (no colored stones) in the dishwasher from time to time and you'll always have a sparkling ring.

Wow, I had to comment on that one. My husband would think I was nuts if I did that! I would be so paranoid that it would go down the drain or something, even if it were in some kind of container.

I clean my ring every few days with a toothbrush and some dishwater soap and hot water and it looks pretty darn sparkly to me. I also have a sunshine cloth that I use to polish the gold setting every month or so.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh..diamond in the dishwasher? NO THANKS!!!! I'm sticking with my windex, at least I can keep an eye on the thing.

Nothing will ruin the stone so clean it as much as you want. However...some metals (such as golds) may be eroded by some household cleansers etc. If it's a jewelry cleansing solution, I wouldn't worry. Plus if the gold erodes over time...a good excuse for a new setting!
1.gif

jcdiamonds

Rough_Rock
Yep, I agree with slmulkey and mara.

When I asked my wife, a few years ago, to put her rings in the dishwasher, she couldn't believe at how clean they came out.
Albeit, it's much quicker to use a soft toothbrush and Dawn to clean it, the dishwasher method is a more practical way- drop it in and you'll wake up with a spanking shining & cleaner ring.
Windex works great, but rinse it right away with warm water- the ammonia won't harm the ring, but it will harm your skin.....(little safe advice
1.gif
)

jcdiamonds

Rough_Rock
Sorry, but as a side note: How do I replace the picture on the left with my Son's photo- reason being is that he wanted "Jakey" (Jake Cyrus to be exact- Cyrus after his Grandfather) as my login ( I know- I'm a sucker for a 2 year old's wishes...)
Can someone help?
Thanks again,
Mauricio

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey JC...go to my profile next to the advanced search link up top, and then once you are in there...click again on My Profile. It will load in your profile page. Scroll down to 'click here to load a custom avatar to our server'. Be sure you have already resized the picture of your son to the desired icon size, which is probably something like 50x50 pixels. Then browse your computer files to find the picture (save it to your desktop or something easy to find it easier), and then click to upload. It should upload, then click submit and you should be done! Hope this helps.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results