shape
carat
color
clarity

CLEANING DIAMONDS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

riley

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know the best way to clean a diamond ring, platinum setting?

I''ve been told various things:
Sonic cleaner followed by steam.
Soap brushed with toothbrush.
Soaking in jewelry cleaning solution found at market.

I''m confused. Thanks everyone for your help.

confused.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I fill an empty container with half sudsy ammonia and water. Soak, and scrub lightly with a soft toothbrush.

I also have an ultrasonic that I use maybe once a month. Since I have an EC with a basket setting, I find that the ultrasonic cleans underneath better than I can. However, if I had a Tiffany-style setting, I doubt I'd ever really use the ultrasonic.

flowerpower

Rough_Rock
Riley

There are a few threads on cleaning options on this forum - do a search, and I'm sure you'll find all the info you need.

My favourite method is to soak the ring in windex or in dishwashing solution for a little while, then use a soft brush to scrub lightly under warm water. Air dry or dry with a hairdryer to prevent water spots. Inexpensive and simple! That's what I do, and it always works a dream.

A Graduate Gemologist I spoke to once told me to avoid using toothpaste to clean rings, as toothpaste contains abrasives which might damage settings. Not too sure about this one - maybe one of the experts here can comment.

emmyweez

Rough_Rock
Get a pan, add water, dish detergent and lemon juice, boil until slightly bubbling add the ring then boil for five minutes on a low setting, when done run the ring under cold water whilst brushing with a soft toothbrush then dry with a paper towel and your ring will sparkle like new. My jeweller told me this and it has worked for me for years now.

Lou Lou

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just bought one of those Jet Clean steam machines for $99. First, I dip a soft brush in jewelry cleaner and gently scrub. Then I use the Jet steamer and the ring is as clean as anytime I have ever taken it to my jeweler. There is something about steam that makes diamonds sparkle like new!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
My ring has a ton of pave on it so Whiteflash (the creater of my ring) told me not to use an ultrasonic. I think utrasonics are okay for rings w/o pave though. When I asked about getting it steam cleaned they said that also was not a good idea. I was told that if you ever knock your ring enough to bend the prongs at all, if the ring is steam cleaned the diamond could shoot out and can be very hard to find or be damaged. I use hot soapy water each night and a water and ammonia solution once a week.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
All of the above work fine. Low tech or high tech, doesn''t really matter much, as long as you clean those diamonds clean. *Dirty diamonds don''t sparkle!*
2.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well said Lynn
2.gif

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/11/2006 2:21:15 PM
Author: jazmine
My ring has a ton of pave on it so Whiteflash (the creater of my ring) told me not to use an ultrasonic. I think utrasonics are okay for rings w/o pave though. When I asked about getting it steam cleaned they said that also was not a good idea. I was told that if you ever knock your ring enough to bend the prongs at all, if the ring is steam cleaned the diamond could shoot out and can be very hard to find or be damaged. I use hot soapy water each night and a water and ammonia solution once a week.
I know I''m going to catch some heat on this.
Well-set stones in rings shouldn''t come out during any cleaning process.
If the ultrasonic will shake stones loose, or a steam cleaner.......then the setter didn''t check his/her own work with those exact methods. My settings get tested repeatedly during the process, and the stones stay set, tightly, or get fully tightened prior to leaving my studio. They may loosen over time if the ring is ever sized, but never come out.

And, if claws bend during normal wear, which includes "knocking", they are too weak.
I''m sorry, but every time a setting fails under normal usage or during cleaning, people lose confidence in jewellers.
With diminished confidence, where will our industry wind up?

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
I''m getting a micropave/halo setting from Quest who told me it would be just fine to use an ultrasonic cleaner. I was told that in the event it EVER happens (which it shouldn''t) that at leas the melee will be right there in the tank. I wonder if I should use it every day though?

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
By all means, use it every day. It can''t harm good work, and it will keep the piece looking bright, as well as prevent any sort of contamination from manifesting itself into a long-term problem.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I was assured the melee would absolutely never come out, even in an utrasonic. WF stands behind their work. But I see it as taking unnecessary chances. Not everyone has the best set melee however and I think that the average pave ring should not be put into an ultrasonic. Rings of very high quality are a different story.

Also, any prongs can be bent if hit hard enough.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used my Ultra Sonic a total of three times on my e-ring. First two was on "normal" and it came out so clean. I was so excited. I also have an EC with a basket setting so it is SO HARD to get it clean. The third time I used "high" (I got a little over-zealous) and lost a melee
39.gif
My jeweler fixed it for free so that wasn''t the problem but not having my ring and the hastle has keep me away from my US. Luckily my jeweler is local, if I had to send it back somewhere I would go crazy! If I had a ring with no melee I would be using that thing daily. No I just use regular old jewelry cleaner.

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
I have the sharper image ultrasonic and I love it. Got it refurbed through ebay for like $45.00. I just use ammonia and a drop of Dawn with hot water. I only really use it once a week though. There is a HUGE thread on it around here somwhere just search for sharper image ultrasonic....sorry at work and rushing through this post. Anyway, I also have just regular cleaner from Target, it comes in a red jar and I believe the brand is connesiuer, i''m most likely spelling it wrong however, and I use that in between my ultrasonic if I feel my ring looks dirty.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
I use my Sharper Image ultrasonic cleaner every time I wear my earrings. When I take them out at night, they go in the ultrasonic for a little bath so they are all sparkly and ready to wear the next time. Only, the next time, sometimes I clean them again before I put them on. I just want to be sure they are at their sparkliest.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, and I am using 5-6 sprays of Mr. Clean + a drop or two of Dawn + hot water for the ultrasonic.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2006 2:56:03 PM
Author: TheDoctor

I know I''m going to catch some heat on this.

Well-set stones in rings shouldn''t come out during any cleaning process.

If the ultrasonic will shake stones loose, or a steam cleaner.......then the setter didn''t check his/her own work with those exact methods.

Wow, David. Thanks for sharing. I VOTE FOR THAT!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2006 2:56:03 PM
Author: TheDoctor

Date: 1/11/2006 2:21:15 PM
Author: jazmine
I know I'm going to catch some heat on this.
Well-set stones in rings shouldn't come out during any cleaning process.
If the ultrasonic will shake stones loose, or a steam cleaner.......then the setter didn't check his/her own work with those exact methods. My settings get tested repeatedly during the process, and the stones stay set, tightly, or get fully tightened prior to leaving my studio. They may loosen over time if the ring is ever sized, but never come out.

And, if claws bend during normal wear, which includes 'knocking', they are too weak.
I'm sorry, but every time a setting fails under normal usage or during cleaning, people lose confidence in jewellers.
With diminished confidence, where will our industry wind up?

No heat, TD, just a reality check. There is no such thing as an invulnerable ring unless it's worn by a Hobbit.

Solid rings and settings with large diamonds are less vulnerable than thin shafts/prongs or delicate craftsmanship with melee and pave. When it does happen, there are 3 primary reasons that diamonds, particularly small diamonds, may fall out.

1. The diamond wasn't set properly. Among top manufacturers this is uncommon, but is still a possibility.

2. When drilling holes, burring, filing, etc. there is microscopic residue; metal filings, polishing rouge, etc. When a tiny diamond is set there is a possibility for microscopic particles to exist between the diamonds and the setting. As the ring is worn the residue may loosen up. Sometimes if the ring is put in an ultrasonic cleaner (which many professionals do not recommend for melee) the residue is lost. This frees up the extra space and the diamond might move, or fall out. Fortunately, when this happens in a US cleaner, the diamond is often easily found.

3. Wear and tear is an unpredictable part of life. Some people are heavier on their rings than others. As a ring gets knocked or bumped, metal may be worn away or become loose and a diamond may move in its setting. If a person's rings are scuffed or you find them dented he/she may be a candidate for ‘knockabout’ counseling. Depending on how rough someone is it may be preferable for them to have White Gold rather than Platinum (platinum is more malleable). Clients who request very thin bands or thin prongs are often advised that the piece is delicate, but the designer cannot know how hard someone will be on the ring. We will not make bands/prongs of a certain thinness for this reason.

When a diamond comes loose or falls out each case must be considered separately. It may be the responsibility of the manufacturer, or it may due to something the wearer did. There are telltale signs when it's the wearer's responsibility, such as scratch or scuff marks, a ring that is out of round or dings and dents. However, if there is minimal wear and tear then something did not allow the stone to sit correctly and it is the manufacturer's responsibility. To a large degree 'responsibility' is about how much the company that made the ring is willing to back it up. For our part, if something happens due to residue or improper setting we restore it. If it was the responsibility of the wearer we may choose to warrant it anyway after a cautionary discussion with the client.

Some manufacturers take steps to investigate what is viable in a new design: We have a policy, when new rings are introduced, to create a prototype and send it into the field for ‘wear and tear’ testing before making it available to the public. We use a person who is active with their hands and gauge the results in order to modify the design as necessary. Of course, even if all goes perfectly in the trial period it is no guarantee for every person who will ever wear the design, but it provides a working baseline to head off errors before a public release.

There is no such thing as an invulnerable ring, and every person is different. This is real life. These things will happen. The best manufacturers stand behind their products when such things do happen.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results