shape
carat
color
clarity

Cleaning diamonds frequently

secretagentdee

Rough_Rock
As we know diamonds get dirty easily and we need to clean them to keep them looking their best but I sometimes wonder by cleaning them frequently with the standard dish soap and soft brush method. Over time would this led affecting the diamond polish at all?

Just curious. Thanks.

Reactions: Kya

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use a soft toothbrush, hot hot water, Dawn dish soap (the blue kind) and Windex.

secretagentdee

Rough_Rock
Great to know thanks. What would it take to alter diamond polish?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
The only way to scratch a diamond, affecting its polish, is to scrape it with something at least as hard as itself. Diamonds are harder than almost all other substances. They are certainly harder than a toothbrush. The only way you're likely to scratch your diamond is by letting it knock or scrape another diamond.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
No, the only thing that can happen dependent on the soap is you could leave a thin film buildup. I also find Dawn/soft brush to be the best for cleaning and windex or occasional alcohol swipe will get them sparkling.
I don't have one but many people love their ultrasonic cleaners for occasional deep cleaning. Though there must be care taken when using relating to type of stone(never soft stones/pearl) and very rarely integrity of prongs if a ring is damaged or very old, so there are no diamonds in the basket instead of your ring!

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
i used nano cleaners for my diamonds with a soft makeup brush. have been cleaning them every day after use. Looks clean under the x30 scope with no buildup.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm not a hug fan of using brushes all the time and if you do be really careful of dust.
Dust in most of the world is harder than the metal but softer than the diamond.
No matter what if you use a brush get a loupe and check your ring before and after cleaning every time.
Actually even if you dont use a brush louping your ring often is a very good idea.

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock
I'm not a hug fan of using brushes all the time and if you do be really careful of dust.
No matter what if you use a brush get a loupe and check your ring before and after cleaning every time.
Actually even if you dont use a brush louping your ring often is a very good idea.

I'm curious, why be careful of brushes and also dust? Is it because of Lodging between the diamond and prong?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm curious, why be careful of brushes and also dust? Is it because of Lodging between the diamond and prong?
Worse case dust is harder then the metal and can get embedded in the brush causing scratches in the metal.
Lesser case is the dust is just pushed over the metal causing much smaller scratches.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
louping your ring often is a very good idea.

Hey @Karl_K a little off topic, but could you recommend a decent quality loupe? Mine was a cheap one and broke. Thanks!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
i see! thanks for your insights! will keep that in mind

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Somewhere I read that dust is mostly quartz, not so soft and innocent. One year at Road America I watched a couple clean their extremely dusty new Corvette with rags and spray cleaners. Mr. CarParts was shuddering knowing what they were doing to the finish.

StarshineSweet

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks for your feedback it’s reassuring. I feel like I’ve been a bit too concerned in looking offer my stones. Thanks again☺️

If you're worried about leaving a film behind (which is easy to do if you have well water like me), is to soak for an hour in equal parts hot distilled (NOT boiling) water and white vinegar. That dissolves all the nasty stuff that sticks to the grime that can accumulate under the pavilion and the prongs. Rinse with room temp distilled.

John Pollard

Shiny_Rock
Staff member
Premium
In addition to the thoughtful information above, we have an Education page covering How to Clean Jewelry.

One overarching suggestion which may require breaking ongoing wear habits (for some) is to practice the Careful Cleaning Credo on a daily basis.

Daily: Careful Cleaning Credo
https://www.pricescope.com/education/engagement-rings/how-to-clean-jewelry#credo

This is preventative maintenance - like brushing your teeth. Doing this with regularity prevents packed-up embedded gunk which will require more aggressive cleaning.

Further down the page are Seven Steps to Sparkle for diamond jewelry. The topic of brush selection - and why a new brush is recommended, pursuant to the comments above - is addressed in Step 3.

Seven Steps to Sparkle
https://www.pricescope.com/education/engagement-rings/how-to-clean-jewelry#steps

Hope it's helpful.

John Pollard

Shiny_Rock
Staff member
Premium

Coincidentally - or perhaps not since this character and I have known each other for a long time - these are both go-tos in my toolkit.

I keep a BelOMO in my briefcase and another in my travel backpack so I'll always have one on the road. I try to remember to take the Nikon with me on diamond specific trips.

I like this one too, for its wider FOV, but my favorite remains the Nikon.

secretagentdee

Rough_Rock

Great tip. Thank you.

secretagentdee

Rough_Rock
If you're worried about leaving a film behind (which is easy to do if you have well water like me), is to soak for an hour in equal parts hot distilled (NOT boiling) water and white vinegar. That dissolves all the nasty stuff that sticks to the grime that can accumulate under the pavilion and the prongs. Rinse with room temp distilled.

Thank you. Great idea.

secretagentdee

Rough_Rock
In addition to the thoughtful information above, we have an Education page covering How to Clean Jewelry.

One overarching suggestion which may require breaking ongoing wear habits (for some) is to practice the Careful Cleaning Credo on a daily basis.

Daily: Careful Cleaning Credo
https://www.pricescope.com/education/engagement-rings/how-to-clean-jewelry#credo

This is preventative maintenance - like brushing your teeth. Doing this with regularity prevents packed-up embedded gunk which will require more aggressive cleaning.

Further down the page are Seven Steps to Sparkle for diamond jewelry. The topic of brush selection - and why a new brush is recommended, pursuant to the comments above - is addressed in Step 3.

Seven Steps to Sparkle
https://www.pricescope.com/education/engagement-rings/how-to-clean-jewelry#steps

Hope it's helpful.

I appreciate all the professional advice. Thanks once again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results