shape
carat
color
clarity

cleaning coloured stone earrings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
What is the best way to clean coloured stone studs? I''m worried about loosening prongs. Any suggestions?

Thanks

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just like rings and everything else, a soak in clean water if there’s any crud, then a gentle scrub with a baby toothbrush in warm soapy water, rinse and pat dry.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I soak mine in rubbing alcohol, brush with a soft brush, rinse with water, and pat dry on a towell.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I soak mine in jewelry cleaner and they come out fine.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/4/2009 12:55:14 AM
Author: marcyc
I soak mine in jewelry cleaner and they come out fine.
Ditto. All my gold jewelry that is.

I''m still trying to figure out how to treat gemstones that are natural but set in Sterling. The old soap and water method was suggested in my PS cleaning thread.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All my gemstones are untreated and not too soft, so I soak mine in the jewellery cleaner for a few minutes, prior to starting the cleaning process. There are minerals and gems that should never be soaked in the cleaner though. As for metal type, if the cleaner is ammonia free, it doesn’t matter if it is platinum, gold or silver; none will be harmed.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/5/2009 7:46:21 AM
Author: Chrono
All my gemstones are untreated and not too soft, so I soak mine in the jewellery cleaner for a few minutes, prior to starting the cleaning process. There are minerals and gems that should never be soaked in the cleaner though. As for metal type, if the cleaner is ammonia free, it doesn’t matter if it is platinum, gold or silver; none will be harmed.
Oh my this is the first time I have heard this!! I guess I will go check my little gray round tub of gemstone cleaner and see if it mentions ammonia.

Thanks

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/4/2009 10:44:11 PM
Author: Stone Hunter

I''m still trying to figure out how to treat gemstones that are natural but set in Sterling. The old soap and water method was suggested in my PS cleaning thread.
Stone Hunter, I only recently bougth some gemstone silver jewelry and that is what I''ve been doing is soaking them in some sudsy water that has a few drops of Dawn. They are coming out fine. I found a lot of info on cleaning just silver but it''s polish which I don''t want to put on the gemstones.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/5/2009 10:21:10 PM
Author: marcyc

Date: 11/4/2009 10:44:11 PM
Author: Stone Hunter

Stone Hunter, I only recently bougth some gemstone silver jewelry and that is what I''ve been doing is soaking them in some sudsy water that has a few drops of Dawn. They are coming out fine. I found a lot of info on cleaning just silver but it''s polish which I don''t want to put on the gemstones.
Yeah I don''t care about cleaning the silver. It doesn''t seem to be tarnishing anyway. It''s the gemstones I care about. So I''ll check out that cleaner I have in the gray container.

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I always recommend a gentle soap and a toothbrush with gentle strokes to clean them. Soaking them in warm water first will help loosen up grime.

--Joshua

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well the container doesn''t say anything about ammonia. So I guess I''ll go with soap and water and a very gentle brush.

Thanks all!!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results