shape
carat
color
clarity

Cleaning Colored stones set in Sterling Silver...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a gem cleaner for colored stones, the round silver/taupe container by the same company that makes the round red container that does diamonds and sapphires.

What in the world How in the world should I clean my genuine gems that are set in Sterling Silver!!!???

I believe this is a very timely question with the Katie ring becoming so popular on PS.

THANKS

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The traditional soapy warm water, rinse and pat dry (or air dry for extremely soft stones) works for just about all gemstones and all metals.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
The butler''s thumb
9.gif

Elbow grease and a soft cloth is the best method for cleaning silver - hard work if you let the tarnish build up, not so bad if you do it regularly. For the stones, dish soap, warm water and a baby toothbrush. For some species you could also use an ultrasonic.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

silver rings worn regularly do not need to be cleaned. they develop a patina [part of that patina is from minute scratches] that is actually quite lovely.

mz

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
I use a sunshine cloth bought off e-bay.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use a drop of dawn dishsoap and a fullhead extra soft toothbrush. I tend to clean my pieces under running water with a wire mesh sieve underneath to catch in case a stone comes loose.

Its whats kept my silver tarnish free for years. I tend not to leave my silver out to the open air, so that helps too.

-A

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Stone Hunter, if you''ve got Argentium silver, I think that is supposed to be much more tarnish resistant than Sterling.

What about warm water, baking soda and aluminium tin foil? I haven''t tried it, but it is supposed to remove stubborn tarnish. Can''t imagine it would hurt gemstones, but I don''t know that to be a fact.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks folks. I''m not really worried about the tarnish. I''m worried about safely cleaning the stones. So I''ll try some dishsoap and warm water. It''s not A. Silver it''s something I''ve had for quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results