shape
carat
color
clarity

Cleaning an opal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Question for a friend ... she has a much-beloved opal ring (looks like a big chunk of boulder opal, but it could possibly be a doublet of opal attached to onyx - definitely no quartz top) which she claims has developed a mildew-y smell. It''s set in a ring, a bezel with a closed back.

Which method of cleaning would you recommend?

I''m not sure if an ultrasonic is safe as the bezel is a teensy bit loose and I''m worried it could shatter the stone, the idea of a steam-cleaner with a stone as delicate as opal makes me nervous, and while I''d normally just tell her to soak it in a glass with a bit of gentle dish-washing detergent and then just scrub at it softly with a baby toothbrush, given how precious it is to her, I''m leery of recommending *anything* that might hurt it. So ... suggestions, guys?

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/11/2009 8:37:52 PM
Author:Circe
Question for a friend ... she has a much-beloved opal ring (looks like a big chunk of boulder opal, but it could possibly be a doublet of opal attached to onyx - definitely no quartz top) which she claims has developed a mildew-y smell. It's set in a ring, a bezel with a closed back.

Which method of cleaning would you recommend?

I'm not sure if an ultrasonic is safe as the bezel is a teensy bit loose and I'm worried it could shatter the stone, the idea of a steam-cleaner with a stone as delicate as opal makes me nervous, and while I'd normally just tell her to soak it in a glass with a bit of gentle dish-washing detergent and then just scrub at it softly with a baby toothbrush, given how precious it is to her, I'm leery of recommending *anything* that might hurt it. So ... suggestions, guys?
EEEEKK!!! US's are NOT safe for opals PERIOD!
I can't be much help in telling you how to clean them... only DON'T let her put it in an ultrasonic.
I think they make special cleaner for stones like opals... They are extrememly sensitive and have water in them so any harsh chemicals can dry them out and make them crack! I've actually heard that dipping them in water every once in awhile is good for them.

ooh.. go here
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/opal-care.51204/

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks, Jaylex! Looks like the ionic cleaning system is the way to go ....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results